Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One More Reason to hate Michael "crack fiend" Irvin « previous next »
Page: 1 2

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: October 27, 2006, 02:15:08 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6110372

Irvin, Jackson reportedly fire back at Barber

Michael Irvin seems to feel there will be times when Tiki Barber's teammates will tune him out, according to a New York Post report.

The Giants' star running back intends to retire after the current season. And on his Tuesday night Sirius Satellite Radio show The Barber Shop, Barber, who hosts the show with his twin brother ( and Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive back) Ronde, called ESPN analysts Irvin and Tom Jackson "idiots" for publicly criticizing him during the Giants' Monday night victory vs. the Cowboys.
NFL Week 8

About Irvin, Barber also said: "Please get a clue about how to be a journalist."

Now, Irvin and Jackson have fired back.

"It (the news of Barber's retirement decision) kills his ability to lead," Irvin told The Post. "He is the leader of that football team. If I am a young guy and we are in a battle and we are banging heads and we are fighting. I'm out there getting hit and being hit and we are in a tough spot in a football game.

"If I am in the line of battle and Tiki comes to me and says, 'Come on, give me what you have!' I'm going to look at him and say, 'Aww, shut up. What are you talking about? You are quitting on us.' This stuff will come out on the sideline."

Jackson, on the other hand, reportedly said he was listening to The Barber Shop when the Giants' running back went on the attack.

Jackson is thought to have been surprised by some of Barber's harsh language, but stood by his belief that Barber's decision to retire is a "distraction" to the 4-2 Giants.

"I thought that the name-calling seemed a bit unnecessary," Jackson told The Post on Thursday.

Jackson reportedly says he is a huge Barber fan, that he watches the former University of Virginia standout on FOX & Friends.

"I was asked an opinion about a subject, just the way he is often asked an opinion about a myriad of topics, a plethora of things," Jackson told The Post. "I'm assuming that often times that when he gives those opinions that he has not spoken directly to the people he is talking about because some of those opinions include the President of the United States, the Secretary of State, senators, governors, movies, books, I'm assuming he hasn't spoken to all those people before he gives those opinions. His opinion is no less valid. It is an opinion. That's all."

How do the Giants feel about all of this?

Well, head coach Tom Coughlin, according to other Big Apple media reports, was seething when the news of Barber's retirement intentions went public last week. But Barber's teammates appear to feel differently. And they did not support the comments made by Irvin and Jackson — both of whom are former standout NFL players.

What's more, Barber's retirement plans appear to have made little impact on the other Giants' players.

"For us, it didn't change anything," quarterback Eli Manning said. "We can't worry about next season. It is worrying about this week and this game. Now, we know we can really wear him out this season. We don't have to save anything for next season."

What in the hell is Irvin talking about? Of course he'd respond that way because he's a assbag. Notice the difference in how Irvin responded to the way Jackson responded. One's mature, one can't handle himself.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#1 : October 27, 2006, 02:22:09 PM

Although I do not agree with Irvin much, I do think him saying he is going to retire is a distraction.

That type of thing should be saved for the offseason. I can see why he is mad at Irvin and Jackson though because he probably feels like they are trying to tell him what he can and cannot do which they can't. As long as he goes out there and performs the rest of the year which everyone knows he will there really is no big problem. He still should have waited though.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 27, 2006, 02:25:09 PM

Although I do not agree with Irvin much, I do think him saying he is going to retire is a distraction.

That type of thing should be saved for the offseason. I can see why he is mad at Irvin and Jackson though because he probably feels like they are trying to tell him what he can and cannot do which they can't. As long as he goes out there and performs the rest of the year which everyone knows he will there really is no big problem. He still should have waited though.

I agreee with his point but to take it to that level isn't necessary. He's a rabid crack head who can't control his emotions.

gone

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 27, 2006, 02:27:17 PM

NYG has an interesting RB behind Tiki.  Since he announced his impending departure, how many more looks does Jacobs(?) get while they're still in the hunt?  If their season collapses, THEN how many?

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#4 : October 27, 2006, 02:45:16 PM

I read that Tiki didn't really announce it. A reporter was eavesdropping on a conversation between Ronde and Tiki at a book signing. The reporter publised it and then Tiki confirmed it. So it seems to me that Tiki didn't want it to be a distraction but had no choice.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 27, 2006, 02:47:00 PM

It's only a distraction if you are not strong enough to continue to do your job and be a professional ball player.  Now if you are in it for any other reason, I can see how you would become distracted...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

T

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 27, 2006, 02:51:06 PM

Irvin is an idiot and I'm glad Tiki called out these supposed experts.

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#7 : October 27, 2006, 03:43:38 PM

Tiki leads the NFL in rushing  Every team wishes they had that distraction.  The only ones that are distracted by Tiki announcing his retirement are the media and fans that don't have any good TO BS to talk about.

Keep on racking up the yardage Tiki (except for this weekend).

grefly

Starter

#8 : October 27, 2006, 04:22:59 PM

Some players use an announcement of retirement to try to motivate the rest of the team - I don't know if Tiki is doing that, but it has been done before...

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 27, 2006, 09:00:54 PM

The interesting thing to consider is what kind of business mistake Irvin is making.  He's just a fill-in with a name from the past.  Ronde and Tiki are going to be big-time players in football media, and have the ability to cross out of that market too...Good-looking, intelligent, and definite charisma...and the twin factor makes them a unique draw.  Irvin is gonna be looking at trying to continue a career where what will probably be one/two of the biggest names in his niche 2 or 3 years from now doesn't like him, and will be happy to take him down...

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#10 : October 27, 2006, 11:47:36 PM

Tiki also said his teammates already knew.

coopsxx

Starter
#11 : October 28, 2006, 01:33:28 PM

A bigger distraction is that there GM is retiring at the end of the year, that would worry me more as a player, since that guy writes my checks!

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 28, 2006, 05:36:26 PM

I actually like Tom Jackson. But for Irvin, he was a great football player but he has just proved how he is immature time and time again.

drywallbuc

Starter

#13 : October 28, 2006, 08:59:08 PM

take a look at irvins eyes next time you see him on tv, he still using even before the show. tom jackson hates him, rolls his eyes and ignores him when gets going with that yes i went to college but i had someone else do my work because im a star. what language is that anyways, talks alot like caddy does. all those years in school and you cant pronounce words correctly. i didnt know ebonics was accepted in colleges of america. listen to tom jackson speak, its very understandable, every word pronounced correctly, much bigger difference to listen to  someone who took thier education seriously. and his eyes are damn near closed, and bloodshot. he using on the show, im willing to bet anything. someone else on this board started a topic about whose gone at the end of the year, im sure it was about the bucs, but i hope irvin is looking for a job at the end of the year. somewhere other than tv.

buy american
hire american
save america

boycott chinese goods

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 28, 2006, 11:12:02 PM

If you cant tell what Irvin says than your not very smart. He might not be the best speaker but he isnt that bad.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One More Reason to hate Michael "crack fiend" Irvin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools