Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The case for Gaines Adams « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

: April 23, 2007, 08:14:04 PM

After watching opposing QB's make long distance phone calls in the pocket last year, the Bucs have stated repeatedly that their primary offseason goal is to upgrade the pass rush.  To accomplish that goal, we signed Carter and Chukwurah.  The former is a tough vet but is clearly on the downside of his career, the latter is at best a special teams ace/wave pass rusher.  Lets face it, Carter is an aging but productive player with FL ties who wants to play another year or two in the sun before he retires.  Chuk is a fav pupil of Coyer but is a tweener who lacks the ability to be a full-time starter at OLB or DE.  Neither has any upside to speak of.  Meanwhile, we lost White to Detroit's deep pockets, Spires and Rice are another year older and Rice is coming off his worst year as a pro.  BTW, with Carter now in the mix, our top 3 DEs are all in their early to mid thirties.  This aging and underachieving unit is in desperate need of a couple young guns to upgrade the pass rush.  At #4 we are in prime position land the draft undisputed top pass rusher, Gaines Adams  Check the stats, you wont find another college DE with better numbers over the past two years (22 sacks and 32.5 TFLs).  http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/gainesadams.html

Concerned about his size?  At 6-5 260, he compares favorably to the size of some of the league's best DEs including Taylor, Kearse, Umenoria, Ogunleye, Little, Burgess, Suggs, Abraham and Rice.   

Ability to the play the run?  No doubt pass rushing is his strong suit, but plenty of the league's top DEs are like that. That's always going to be the bread and butter of DEs.  That's why they get paid the premium dollars (sacks).  Just as long as he isn't a liability against the run its not an issue.  Adams has always posted respectable tackle numbers and I'm confident in the ability of Coyer and Kiffen to add discipline to his run support skills.  Besides, Adams is essentially a Rice clone and Simeon was never exactly a demon against the run.  But Simeon is better in that area than given credit for and it was Simeon's speed of the edge and backside pursuit that has made the defense hum until recently.  Adams has the potential to have the same impact.

Gruden himself stated in his book that after the QB position, an elite pass rushing DE was the most important position on a football team.  Thus why should we bypass the opportunity to add an elite pass rusher like Adams?  Why would we take Russell, Quinn, Thomas or Peterson over Adams?  We have a plethora of millionaire QB's, a recent top 5 pick invested in former rookie of the year Cadillac Williams and good FA money invested in cool-hand Luke to start at LOT. 

All that being said, Calvin Johnson is the lone player who should be ranked above Adams on the Bucs draft board.  With our well documented offensive woes, Gruden's favortism towards the offense and Johnson's unique skill set, I can understand why this regime is so high on Calvin.  He'll be a Buc if he's still on the board when we are on the clock.  But if he isn't, if Al Davis surprises everyone by taking CJ over Russell or ATL leapfrogs us to draft their hometwon hero, we shouldn't throw in the towel.  Adams' youth, speed, athleticism and pass rushing ability will go a long way towards upgrading our AARP front 7. Add some variation of Griffin, Meriweather, Harrell, Mebane, Tyler, Hughes with our next few picks and we'll have the makings of a fine young defensive core for years to come. 

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 23, 2007, 08:19:27 PM

You had me at hello.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 23, 2007, 08:28:24 PM

He was my #1 target but it looks like the Lions will take him.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 24, 2007, 06:26:29 PM

thats it?  i thought i'd get more responses then this.  Can't anyone see past Calvin or Joe Thomas?

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 24, 2007, 07:33:09 PM

We need a pass rush but what makes Gaines so great? You defined a need not a player.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 24, 2007, 08:18:20 PM

I have long wanted someone better out of the #4 spot but he's a decent player and it is a need position.  And he's probably a safe pick.  I just don't think he's the guy you build the franchise around which was what I was hoping for with such a high pick.

#6 : April 24, 2007, 09:10:39 PM

Bump!
Stop spamming.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#7 : April 24, 2007, 09:09:34 PM

Bump!

bucs1

Practice Squad
#8 : April 24, 2007, 09:31:42 PM

Bump!
Stop spamming.

So putting the Red Board back together after ABuccsFan ruined it is spamming.

shall555

Starter

#9 : April 24, 2007, 09:46:49 PM

I like Adams but in any other year, he's projected to be a #6-10 type player. We're not getting our value for him. I'd take one of the franchise grade guys like CJ or JT, before Adams, because they'd be Top 5 in any draft. I like Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer, Charles Johnson or Woodley at 2a.

Adams reminds me of a pumped up, slightly faster version of Charles Bennett, his bookend in 2005.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 24, 2007, 10:10:50 PM

We need a pass rush but what makes Gaines so great? You defined a need not a player.

How about 22 sacks in two years?  How about a dominant senior year despite opponents game planning for him?  That is the mark of a quality player.  he had a breakout year as a junior and then lost his bookend DE to the draft(Bennett). Despite the extra attention from opposing blocking schemes he was still ACC Def player of the year and All-American as a senior.  To show the opposite end of the spectrum, look at the difference between UGA's Moses in his junior and senior years.  In college Gaines played bandit end for Clemson, where he not only rushed the passer with great proficiency but at times even showed the athleticism to drop into zone coverage, much like another fast lean DE who has had great success in our defensive scheme (Rice).  He's the consensus top d-lineman in the draft and more importantly, the best pass rusher in this class.  That is what makes him great.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#11 : April 24, 2007, 10:39:58 PM

Great post. The Bucs have traditionally been a defensive powerhouse for a decade and I totally agree that Adams fit the bill of the prototypical pass rusher that the Bucs need. I am not sure he even lasts until four with Marinnelli and Detroit at Number 2. But if we don't get Thomas or Johnson then I will be more then happy to see Gaines in Tampa. The idea of him and Rice smacking Vick around brings a smile to my face.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#12 : April 24, 2007, 11:20:37 PM

I've said the same things damn near verbatim a hundred times over. No one cares, they want the flashy offensive player for the most part. Then those opposing your point will say that the DE class is deep, while probably wanting CJ and refusing to recognize that WR is the deepest class of all this year. I think Gaines is a lot better than people are giving him credit for, and he gets lost in this Mike Williams-esque knob gobbling of one Calvin Johnson. He's not just marginally better than guys who will go in round 2/3, and he's projected to go as high as top 2 or as low as 6 for a reason. Because he has a lot of talent and athleticism.

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
#13 : April 24, 2007, 11:41:14 PM

I wouldnt mind if the Bucs traded down for some extra picks if they used them to shore up the defense. If not Id rather see them go for CJ.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 25, 2007, 01:05:41 AM

Gaines is a good DE.

CJ is a good WR.

Quinn is a solid QB.

Okoye has the potential.

Thomas is a good LT.

The Bucs sit pretty, and they get one of them. 

But Gaines is a good DE.  No doubt.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The case for Gaines Adams « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools