Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are there people who still think we need a LT in the draft?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

coopsxx

Starter
: October 28, 2006, 04:46:27 PM

I keep seeing this floated around, but Davis is playing great, he's got good size, is young and a leader.

He hasn't given up a sack this year and has just 1 penalty on an inconsistant line
http://stats.globesports.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=6749&team=27

We have so many holes - DE/DT/S/C (LB/CB/WR too an extent) which would make LT a stupid move.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 28, 2006, 04:53:54 PM

I keep seeing this floated around, but Davis is playing great, he's got good size, is young and a leader.

We have so many holes - DE/DT/S/C (LB/CB/WR too an extent) which would make LT a stupid move.

I think longterm Davis might be the weakest link on the line, but for now he is progressing well so I think we roll with him next year.  The O-line needs a good center so I would take one in the 2nd round and let him compete with Mahan and/or Wade in camp.

Like you said we have a lot of holes need filling, most of them on D.  I would be shocked if they used more than one first day pick on the O.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#2 : October 28, 2006, 04:55:18 PM

Davis hasn't played bad but hasn't done anything spectacular as well. If the Bucs land a top 10 pick and a franchise LT falls on their lap, I don't see why they shoudn't pull the trigger on it. There's no impact DTs that are gonna go top 10 this draft and many of the top DT in this years class can be had in the late 1st early second area. But who knows, things happen from now until April. For all we know, the Bucs could sign Freeney and a good S and give the Bucs alot of breathing room in the draft.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 28, 2006, 04:57:59 PM

Davis hasn't played bad but hasn't done anything spectacular as well. If the Bucs land a top 10 pick and a franchise LT falls on their lap, I don't see why they shoudn't pull the trigger on it. There's no impact DTs that are gonna go top 10 this draft and many of the top DT in this years class can be had in the late 1st early second area. But who knows, things happen from now until April. For all we know, the Bucs could sign Freeney and a good S and give the Bucs alot of breathing room in the draft.

If they could fill a couple of holes on D in FA, then they might use the first round pick on a LT or WR.

coopsxx

Starter
#4 : October 28, 2006, 05:01:47 PM

He hasn't given up a sack this year and has just 1 penalty on an inconsistant line
http://stats.globesports.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=6749&team=27

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#5 : October 28, 2006, 05:02:24 PM

Getting a LT would allow us to move him to LG if we wanted to. I'm not saying we want to do that, but if Buenning isn't performing then that would be an option we could explore this offseason.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 28, 2006, 05:51:57 PM

Unless something different happens with Davis by the end of the year, I think we could live with him another year.

The DL is in desperate need and don't think we can take another year of this crappy play.

You can add safety to that list also.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 28, 2006, 06:44:17 PM

I think it depends on what we get in free agency as well.   Being so far under the cap, we should be able to pick up some good players.   Left OT is normally pretty high priced (if they are any good), so I could see them going for that in the draft if it falls that way.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#8 : October 28, 2006, 06:46:02 PM

The only way we draft offense is if Calvin Johnson is available.

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 28, 2006, 06:53:00 PM

LT is pretty far down on our needs right now.  C, DT, Safety seem to be top 3.  CB, OLB and WR(speed) after them.  FB After that.  LT and depth players after that.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#10 : October 28, 2006, 06:58:15 PM

LT is pretty far down on our needs right now. C, DT, Safety seem to be top 3. CB, OLB and WR(speed) after them. FB After that. LT and depth players after that.

I agree 100%, Centers imo are udnerrated by lots, but a new center would be good, i was hoping last year we would take that center that the Jets got at the end of the first round, i think his name was mangold? nick mangold if i remember correctly

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 28, 2006, 07:02:51 PM

I agree 100%, Centers imo are udnerrated by lots, but a new center would be good, i was hoping last year we would take that center that the Jets got at the end of the first round, i think his name was mangold? nick mangold if i remember correctly

There are three or four decent centers in this years draft.  We should be able to get a center in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#12 : October 28, 2006, 07:05:04 PM

There are three or four decent centers in this years draft. We should be able to get a center in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

thats good, good thing we have 2 first rounders, maybe more coming kelly or rice are dealt, which i at least hope rice is, he is wasting cap space imo, give White a extension, get rid of rice, White is the future

#13 : October 28, 2006, 09:03:35 PM

I want a LT in round 1, maybe. For 2 reasons. I liek Anthony Davis, he has been solid, not great but solid. Definitely worth starting. But this OL needs more talent, probably a new OL coach and blocking schemes also but definitely more talent. IN this years draft there are 2 blue chip LT that I know of. 2 LT that could possibly be there when the BUcs pick, eitehr of which IMO will become the greatest Buc Olineman ever. Levi Brown and Joe THomas are both more physically talente dthan any OL the bUcs have ever had, and Thomas is up for scholar athlete awards also.

So if we could land one of these guys Im all for it. Then you figure out where to put Davis. Either Davis and Trueblood battle it out for RT, a position both of them seem to fit more naturqally then anywhere else on the OL. Or maybe you move Buenning to C and Davis to Guard. I think Davis has been solid at LT but I think he would be better at LG, RG or RT.

If Thomas or Brown are available and teh Bucs choose to go with DE Gaines Adams or LB Butser Davis, I would have no problem with that either.

One way or another his OL needs more talent. Atleast 1 guy with equal or greater talent then Joseph who can either play LT or C, or 2 guys one who can play LT and one who can play C

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#14 : October 28, 2006, 11:10:55 PM

I think the Bucs use one of their first three picks on a tackle, just because there will be so many good ones in this draft. Even if we pick in the second half of the first round, there should still be a tackle on the board with top 10 talent, or there could be some tackles left in the second, that would have gone in the first any other year.
Davis has progressed very well, and is doing everything well that he is being asked to do. I think he can continue to do that, even against some good competition, but if either Davis or Trueblood were to get hurt we'd be up the creak right now. Also, the one thing Davis doesn't have is the ability to run and move in space that the rookies on the right side of our line do. A more athletic left tackle could make a big difference, but I like how Davis is playing right now. 
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are there people who still think we need a LT in the draft?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools