Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Briggs worth both of our 2's? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 25, 2007, 12:21:06 PM

Trade Simeon or Kelly, no picks.

Trade BK?  are you hoping to more high draft picks next year?  I know having draft picks is fun and high ones are kind of exciting but I'd rather win some games.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 25, 2007, 12:21:58 PM

But what do we do with all of these LBs? Brooks, Ruud, Nece, Winborn, June and possible Briggs too?

And Chuk. Not a bad problem to have. With all those guys who can play WIL, Briggs would have to be the starter at MIKE with Ruud backing him. June could play SAM, and Winborn backs up Brooks for a season then moves into the starting slot next year for a starting trio of:

Winborn/Briggs/June with Nece, Ruud and Chuk (and Brooks, if he wants to hang around) backing them up.

Nice 2 year strategy

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

bucs1

Practice Squad
#17 : April 25, 2007, 12:22:55 PM

Lance Briggs is definately worth both of our 2nd round picks, but I don't think that we could afford to give those up now because we have so many other needs on our team and we don't really have a pressing need for a LB.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 25, 2007, 12:24:39 PM

I have a loger view than possibly you do. I like wins too but would like to get some longer term value for the few remaining, tradeable assets we have. The Booger trade seemed to work out fine in my opinion.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#19 : April 25, 2007, 12:26:08 PM

But what do we do with all of these LBs? Brooks, Ruud, Nece, Winborn, June and possible Briggs too?

And Chuk. Not a bad problem to have. With all those guys who can play WIL, Briggs would have to be the starter at MIKE with Ruud backing him. June could play SAM, and Winborn backs up Brooks for a season then moves into the starting slot next year for a starting trio of:

Winborn/Briggs/June with Nece, Ruud and Chuk (and Brooks, if he wants to hang around) backing them up.

I forgot about Chuk, but I didn't see him playing LB unless we play a little 3-4 situationally anyway. It would be a nice problem to have, but I could see the criticism already: "We have too much money inested in one position!" "Ruud was a wasted draft pick." "why sign June and Briggs?" etc. The FO won't be able to win no matter what they do.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#20 : April 25, 2007, 12:27:41 PM

Two 2, one this year one next isn't a bad deal at all. But what do we do with all of these LBs? Brooks, Ruud, Nece, Winborn, June and possible Briggs too? Best 3 start.

Doesn't seem like too many to me. How many normally make the 53 man roster? And Brooks isn't long for this game. Two more years seems optimistic to me. I'm not at all convinced that any of those guys save Briggs is what we would really want two years down the road. I like Ruud but he might not pan out and Nece I never considered a great starter.

It's not the number that I'm talking about. It's the amount of potential talent, somebody is bound not to be happy sitting behing Briggs and June if it works outthat way.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 25, 2007, 12:28:53 PM

That's why they hopefully ignore what we say and do what's right to improve the team long term.

orlandobuc

Starter

#22 : April 25, 2007, 12:32:04 PM

why would you give up a 4 for him when you could just trade down a bit on the pick and take Okoye?

Depends on who you draft with the 2's. To me if they picked up Marcus Thomas and some linebgacker with those 2's we would look pretty stupid.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#23 : April 25, 2007, 12:38:24 PM

One point in this that's kind of off tangent is that if we trade away 2a, then we need to forget about drafting CJ or JT with the 4th pick and focus on the DL.

We could accomplish this in number of ways if JT or CJ is still available:

We could swap picks with Ariz. and gain additional picks this year for the rights to draft Joe Thomas and still draft Adams or Okoye

or

We could trade 1st round pick with Washington and gain an additional 1st and second round picks next for the rights to draft Calvin Johnson; and still draft Jamaal Anderson or Okoye or Carricker

or

We could trade picks with Minnesota and gain additional pick this year and possibly next for CJ; and still draft Okoye or Carricker

or we could rob Atlanta BLIND this year and possibly next so that they can draft CJ, although it'd hurt to play against him I'm sure with a plethora of picks we can build a defense to stop Atlanta from getting him the ball.

If JT and Cj are both gone we could just stay put and draft Adams or Okoye.

Options galore!

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 25, 2007, 12:52:45 PM

I have a loger view than possibly you do. I like wins too but would like to get some longer term value for the few remaining, tradeable assets we have. The Booger trade seemed to work out fine in my opinion.

What's your long term strategy on a CB?  Those high draft picks the bucs will continue to get when they trade BK?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 25, 2007, 01:02:16 PM

Two 2, one this year one next isn't a bad deal at all. But what do we do with all of these LBs? Brooks, Ruud, Nece, Winborn, June and possible Briggs too? Best 3 start.

Doesn't seem like too many to me. How many normally make the 53 man roster? And Brooks isn't long for this game. Two more years seems optimistic to me. I'm not at all convinced that any of those guys save Briggs is what we would really want two years down the road. I like Ruud but he might not pan out and Nece I never considered a great starter.

It's not the number that I'm talking about. It's the amount of potential talent, somebody is bound not to be happy sitting behing Briggs and June if it works outthat way.

Well you're clearly a lot more excited about the potential talent.  My point is, if the team is looking for briggs that means they dont' think these other guys will be able to step up.  See, Ruud, Winborne, Nece? etc....

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#26 : April 25, 2007, 01:20:11 PM

Well, you could always attempt to give them Ruud and the high #2 this year. After all, he was a 2nd rounder not too long ago and really, he has some talent. It isn't as though the is terrible, just unproven.

They probably won't take that, though. I don't know how I feel about this. Briggs himself was a 3rd rounder or something and so we could find somebody in the 2nd round there or 3rd round who could ultimately be just as good. It isn't highly likely, but possible. I just don't like the idea of giving up picks anymore.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 25, 2007, 01:36:13 PM

I don't think we have the cap space to trade for Briggs, considering how much $$$ he wants.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 25, 2007, 01:38:38 PM

Philip Buchannon

What's your long term strategy on a CB? Those high draft picks the bucs will continue to get when they trade BK?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 25, 2007, 01:55:02 PM

I don't think we have the cap space to trade for Briggs, considering how much $$$ he wants.

I think they do, considering how BA can work the contract terms.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Briggs worth both of our 2's? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools