Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Briggs worth both of our 2's? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 25, 2007, 02:00:33 PM

I have a loger view than possibly you do. I like wins too but would like to get some longer term value for the few remaining, tradeable assets we have. The Booger trade seemed to work out fine in my opinion.

What's your long term strategy on a CB? Those high draft picks the bucs will continue to get when they trade BK?
Philip Buchannon

*runaway emoticon goes here*

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

badaBucs1987

Second String

#31 : April 25, 2007, 02:28:41 PM

alls I know is that it wouldn't be out of the question for us to be representing the NFC in the Super Bowl next year if we acquire Briggs along with selecting either Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams, or Joe Thomas at 4...

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#32 : April 25, 2007, 02:30:00 PM

Two 2, one this year one next isn't a bad deal at all. But what do we do with all of these LBs? Brooks, Ruud, Nece, Winborn, June and possible Briggs too? Best 3 start.

Doesn't seem like too many to me. How many normally make the 53 man roster? And Brooks isn't long for this game. Two more years seems optimistic to me. I'm not at all convinced that any of those guys save Briggs is what we would really want two years down the road. I like Ruud but he might not pan out and Nece I never considered a great starter.

It's not the number that I'm talking about. It's the amount of potential talent, somebody is bound not to be happy sitting behing Briggs and June if it works outthat way.

Well you're clearly a lot more excited about the potential talent. My point is, if the team is looking for briggs that means they dont' think these other guys will be able to step up. See, Ruud, Winborne, Nece? etc....

You've got proven talent in Brooks and June and you could make a case for Nece because he does what you ask of a SLB and hasn't ever been a liability on the strong side. Add to that group, Briggs and there's a whole lot of talent at one position. I believe Ruud and Winborn have potential, but who knows if it ever pans out. One things for sure, both had Pro Bowl caliber LBs in front of them on the depth chart and that has changed this offseason as Quarles is gone and Brooks is slipping.

JC510

Practice Squad

#33 : April 25, 2007, 02:43:13 PM

NO! We dont need him for 2007 (Brooks, Ruud, June) and he'll probably be a UFA in 2008.

DrewDaGreat

Practice Squad

#34 : April 25, 2007, 02:51:30 PM

Awesome deal.

#35 : April 25, 2007, 04:54:10 PM

The Bears would have a hole at Will. They'll probably still have that hole until week 10 when Briggs has to report to get credit for the season. That might be some leverage for a team looking to trade for Briggs.

The Bucs have a few LBs who can play the Will for Chicago. Trade the Bear one of our LBs and a draft pick for Briggs.

Not too keen on trading any of the (2) 2nd rounders.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 25, 2007, 05:06:54 PM

NO! We dont need him for 2007 (Brooks, Ruud, June) and he'll probably be a UFA in 2008.

And someone will throw way, way too much money at him like Clements. No, if the Bucs can do a sign-and-trade deal for him they're much better off.

#37 : April 25, 2007, 05:13:40 PM

And someone will throw way, way too much money at him like Clements. No, if the Bucs can do a sign-and-trade deal for him they're much better off.

He'll get his long term contract that way.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 25, 2007, 06:22:35 PM

He'll get his long term contract that way.

Exactly.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 25, 2007, 06:26:56 PM

I'll take Briggs for our 2a and next years 2nd...without hesitation. We wouldn't be looking for anymore LB's for a while.

Will-Briggs, Mike-Brooks, Sam-June, then after Brooks retires...Briggs-Ruud-June...Solid, speedy, and smart LB corps.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 25, 2007, 06:35:25 PM

Give up Charles Johnson/Ryan Kalil/Brandon Meriwether AND Victor Abiamiri/Aaron Rouse/Josh Beekman for Briggs?? Maybe... I' leanin a lil towards yes

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 26, 2007, 09:09:08 AM

I don't see both our two's this year, and I don't see the BEars settling for a two this year and a 2 next. What would we agree to for Brooks in his prime? No way would the Bears leave the most sensitive spot on their defense (the defensive QB in the cover 2), while settling for a single number two this year...

According to this link from ESPN, Briggs wants a contract like Urlacher ($54 Mil, 9 years). http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2768650 - so, $6 mil a year for yet another LB seems pretty steep. Either someone has to go (Brooks?) or we trade one back to them....don't know how we would go about doing this?

We still have to have a rookie pool to sign the draft picks from. Anyone have a salary cap (after Q is cut) update?

Incomparable sig by Incognito

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 26, 2007, 10:11:50 AM

Two 2, one this year one next isn't a bad deal at all. But what do we do with all of these LBs? Brooks, Ruud, Nece, Winborn, June and possible Briggs too? Best 3 start.

Doesn't seem like too many to me. How many normally make the 53 man roster? And Brooks isn't long for this game. Two more years seems optimistic to me. I'm not at all convinced that any of those guys save Briggs is what we would really want two years down the road. I like Ruud but he might not pan out and Nece I never considered a great starter.

It's not the number that I'm talking about. It's the amount of potential talent, somebody is bound not to be happy sitting behing Briggs and June if it works outthat way.

Well you're clearly a lot more excited about the potential talent. My point is, if the team is looking for briggs that means they dont' think these other guys will be able to step up. See, Ruud, Winborne, Nece? etc....

You've got proven talent in Brooks and June and you could make a case for Nece because he does what you ask of a SLB and hasn't ever been a liability on the strong side. Add to that group, Briggs and there's a whole lot of talent at one position. I believe Ruud and Winborn have potential, but who knows if it ever pans out. One things for sure, both had Pro Bowl caliber LBs in front of them on the depth chart and that has changed this offseason as Quarles is gone and Brooks is slipping.

June slipped my mind there for a bit.  My take on Brooks is that if he last this season that's good and anything beyond that is super bonus multiplier mega mode.  Nece, you clearly like more then I do. I'd call him serviceable so long as he's got some great guys around him, lbs and linemen. 

I have no faith in Winborn and while I like Ruud a ton, I'm not sure he'll ever be up to the standards set by the last two long term MLBs, though he certainly looks better then some of the other guys they had in here looking at the possition, the lil guy from UM (webster?) and the guy that played a year or two and went to.... the saints I think.  Maybe on par with that fellow who's name totally escapes me atm.

Anyway, you throw briggs in the mix and I go from a lot of ??s to thinking that core is rock solid.

I gotta see more of this cato june fella too.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 26, 2007, 10:43:25 AM

Nate Webster went to Cincinatti were he won the starting MLB job then got hurt and now we haven't heard his name since the '05 season. I'm not sure what happened to him.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

Watchman

Starter

#44 : April 26, 2007, 01:16:09 PM

One point in this that's kind of off tangent is that if we trade away 2a, then we need to forget about drafting CJ or JT with the 4th pick and focus on the DL.

We could accomplish this in number of ways if JT or CJ is still available:

We could swap picks with Ariz. and gain additional picks this year for the rights to draft Joe Thomas and still draft Adams or Okoye

or

We could trade 1st round pick with Washington and gain an additional 1st and second round picks next for the rights to draft Calvin Johnson; and still draft Jamaal Anderson or Okoye or Carricker

or

We could trade picks with Minnesota and gain additional pick this year and possibly next for CJ; and still draft Okoye or Carricker

or we could rob Atlanta BLIND this year and possibly next so that they can draft CJ, although it'd hurt to play against him I'm sure with a plethora of picks we can build a defense to stop Atlanta from getting him the ball.

If JT and Cj are both gone we could just stay put and draft Adams or Okoye.

Options galore!

Any trade with Washington will have to include 2008 draft picks.  I believe they have a 1st rounder and then don't pick again until the 5th round or something like that.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Briggs worth both of our 2's? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools