Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shelton Quarles and why Gruden haters suck « previous next »
Page: 1

: April 25, 2007, 02:36:37 PM

Steve Duemig is so worried about making Jon Gruden look bad that he won't honor Shelton Quarles for teh great player that he is. All the talk is about how Gruden shows no compassion, blah blah blah. Why dont you recognize Quarles for the great things he has done? He has gone his whole career being underappreciated and overlooked playing next to D Brooks and even now when his career is over (atleast with the BUcs) all we can talk about is how evil Gruden is. And who are you people who call into 620? Are there really that many morons in the BAy area. My god you people should hear yourself. I feel like pounding my head against my car stereo whenever I have 620 on.

"Well I reckon Gruden is a bad coach he dont do things da way I want em. I still cant believe he drafted Kenyatta Walker and almost moved the BUcs to Baltimore"

This is seriously how most of the callers sound. Get a clue.

Anyways, back to Quarles. The guy is injured almost every year, he has a degenrative hip and has suffered multiple concussions. Can he still play adequately when healthy? Maybe. But at what point did you all think he would be gone? You had to have known his time was coming. It couldve been 2 years ago, or last year. Even if Quarles still wants to play, and as big a Quarles fan as I am, I understand that at some point the BUcs have to move on and get some stability out of the MLB.

Honor Quarles, and get off Gruden atleast until the draft

BucLord

Starter

#1 : April 25, 2007, 03:03:31 PM

Why dont you wait until we hear what Q has to say?

We'll know here soon enough, but

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

#2 : April 25, 2007, 03:12:49 PM

I listen to Steve everyday...I admit it...I like to hear the Buc talk.

I understand where Steve comes from in some ways and I can understand where Jon and Bruce are coming from

Shelton was a great Buc and will always be remembered as a great part of this defense. He wont be gracing the hall but in our "Ring of Honor" he will be a shoe in. He was the major force in the defense. He should have just been released and given the "lets go in another direction"...Gruden and Allen have a way of making seperations harsh and bitter.

However you have to look into it this way. Right from Steve's mouth "Shelton's situation injury wise was no different than last year" The fact that he never improved..never got better health wise is a concern for a football team especially when you owe them a 1.3 million dollar roster bonus.

Granted Shelton did what he could do to stay a Buc his time just ran out. The Bucs saw the risk of wasted money on a player who may play 3-4 games next year because he wont be able to hold up...there is so many times you can just "shoot up and hit the field"

Barrett needs to get on the field and get better. He needs to grow into the starting job. Having a Q ahead of you would sure put the brakes on your development.

I remember Steve up in arms a few years ago when Dave Andreychuk was let go...people just hate to lose players they admire.
Fact of the matter is we need to be concerned more with the emblem on the helmet not so much the name on the back...harsh as that may sound.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 25, 2007, 03:28:01 PM

Q had 15 less tackles than brooks in 4 less games.  he finished the season on the field.  when did he become a liability?  if he's unhealthy, then okay.  but if he can still play, and play better than ruud, i want the guy.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

#4 : April 25, 2007, 04:28:13 PM

It sounds like he's been playing thru his injuries, will continue to have some of the same injuries and the Bucs want to move on.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#5 : April 25, 2007, 04:32:42 PM

I'll be the first to say that Quarles has always been underappreciated, but I'm still trying to figure out where all of this Quarles love has come from; three years ago, people couldn't WAIT to replace him, because he was either easily interchangeable and an average MLB, with some going so far as to say he sucked, or he was just getting too old and not as athletic.  The last two years, people wondered aloud how a 2nd round draft pick couldn't beat out an aging MLB like Quarles, with the implicit suggestion that Ruud was a bust because he didn't win the starting job.

Last year people finally started to give him a little credit for keeping Ruud on the bench (though many more still suggest that it's because Ruud sucks); now all of a sudden he was so good that he should get to retire on his own terms.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#6 : April 25, 2007, 04:43:12 PM

I think the last few years he really showed us how good he really was. We just didn't appreciate Q with the other stars on the defense; Lynch, Sapp, Brooks, Rice, etc.

Sometimes you just don't know what you've got until it's gone.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 25, 2007, 05:50:31 PM

All I know is when I watched Americans Game which featured the Bucs 2002 SB run, I felt like everyone loved Gruden, especially Warren Sapp. From what everything Dumdog says you would think not. I also remembered what kind of coach we have when he has a talented VETERAN offense or atleast a Vet. QB. Brian Griese played better under Gruden than any other team he's been on. Same with Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon.

Gruden is no worse of a coach then he was 4 years ago, and his system hasn't been figured out by any team. People around here are idiots who think this guy is a bad coach. He finally has money like he did in '02 to build a respectable veteran group on the offensive side of the ball. Remember he led the youngest offense in the NFL to a division title in '05. Remember we would have kept Griese if not for cap problems and would've been better last year. Say what you want about him or Gruden, but under Gruden, Grieseball had the best comp % in the NFL.

Gruden is a top-flight HC in this league and for someone to say different doesn't know ish about football. Plain and simple. He may not be the best rookie evaluator or player friendly coach. But he's a helluva gameplanner and motivator. This team never quit last year. Never did they Duemig!!!

But I think this is the year to put up or shut up for him. 4 out of 6 years is too many losing seasons to keep any coaches job. No matter his talents.

The guy would be hired tommorow as a HC if we let him go.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 25, 2007, 05:58:42 PM

bucjam, what i got from that is everyone loves a winner.  i think we can all agree on that.  but what teams quit last year?  how many teams ever quit?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 25, 2007, 06:01:51 PM

I'll be the first to say that Quarles has always been underappreciated, but I'm still trying to figure out where all of this Quarles love has come from; three years ago, people couldn't WAIT to replace him, because he was either easily interchangeable and an average MLB, with some going so far as to say he sucked, or he was just getting too old and not as athletic.  The last two years, people wondered aloud how a 2nd round draft pick couldn't beat out an aging MLB like Quarles, with the implicit suggestion that Ruud was a bust because he didn't win the starting job.

Last year people finally started to give him a little credit for keeping Ruud on the bench (though many more still suggest that it's because Ruud sucks); now all of a sudden he was so good that he should get to retire on his own terms.

Most of this isn't about "Quarles Love" it's about hating Gruden.  The people who are claiming he's running Q out of town, that's he's being treated badly, etc, are all the same suspects that find a sinister motive behind everything this FO does...

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 25, 2007, 06:03:15 PM

If you listen to Duemig he says the Bucs quit on Gruden quite often on his show. Which is stupid and ignorant.  And teams quit all the time...The NYG quit on Tom Caughlin last year for a period of time before they knew they had a chance at the playoffs. Atlanta quit on Mora Jr also.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shelton Quarles and why Gruden haters suck « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools