Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My argument for moving up for Ginn. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

JC510

Practice Squad

#15 : April 25, 2007, 06:11:39 PM

Ginn doesn't have a problem running the go route, but much of the NFL is based on the precise route running. Our offense is supposed to be especially focused on how well you run routes. As much as I hate to do this, there was a particular WR on this roster who made incredible catches and could run an excellent go route. He couldn't learn the plays and learn to run the routes so now he plays Arena Football.

To draft Ginn in round 1 means he would have to at some point be a #2 WR. He isn't going to do that in the NFL because he can't run routes. He is going to need some hardcore coaching on that, and the coaches don't have time to babysit.

You make it seem as if Ginn is out there falling down trying to run routes. His route running isn't great, but it's not terrrible. It's his only weakness besides his size so people keep harping on it.

Take a look at the video at the 1:50 mark. Michigan State is blitzing and playing their CB 10+ yards off Ginn, taking away the deep ball. Ginn runs a sharp slant and takes it to the house. Game over.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 25, 2007, 06:19:13 PM

My question to you is this JC510:  Do we need 1 wide receiver more than we need 2 defensive linemen?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 25, 2007, 06:22:19 PM

After watching the Heisman winner in Troy Smith...it's hard to go after a guy from the Ohio State offense, even if he's pure speed and return. Maybe if we didn't have so many holes.

In a heavily populated WR draft Ted Ginn Jr. would be a 3-5th rounder.

You never know he could be Steve Smith all over again.

This is a heavily populated WR draft.  Pretty much every publication gives it an A for talent.  Ginn is a first rounder in any draft, we just don't need him as much as we need defense.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#18 : April 25, 2007, 06:23:45 PM

There's just no way we'll trade up for Ginn like that. Too much compensation for him. We don't need a great returner 1st round bad...nobody does.

If he were a great WR maybe. He isn't even that.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 25, 2007, 06:27:06 PM

If we don't draft Calvin Johnson I don't want a receiver at all.  We don't need one that badly.  The only reason we might take Johnsons is because he's so good.  Short of a mega talent like CJ, we have much bigger needs than even drafting a WR, much less moving up to get one.  A return man would be nice, but not at the expense of a DE and a DT.

I'm not a big Ginn fan but I disagree with the thought that the Bucs don't need a receiver. Right now they have Galloway, who's up there in age, and a ton of question marks.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Dominico

Starter

#20 : April 25, 2007, 06:27:31 PM

You know who else doesnt' have trouble running the go route....... Troy Williamson.  Just because Ginn has a nice highlight reel on youtube, doesn't mean he can play WR at the NFL level. Why don't you look up Williamson's college highlight vid, or Peter Warrick's. He will be a good return man, but we can get a cheaper one in the later rounds. This guy is gonna get bumped all day long in the NFL weighing 170lbs(soaking wet holding a brick). Also look at his college production not just his highlights, its not anything special. IMO Anthony Gonzalez will be a better pro.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 25, 2007, 06:32:05 PM

If we don't draft Calvin Johnson I don't want a receiver at all. We don't need one that badly. The only reason we might take Johnsons is because he's so good. Short of a mega talent like CJ, we have much bigger needs than even drafting a WR, much less moving up to get one. A return man would be nice, but not at the expense of a DE and a DT.

I'm not a big Ginn fan but I disagree with the thought that the Bucs don't need a receiver. Right now they have Galloway, who's up there in age, and a ton of question marks.

I didn't say we didn't need one.  I said we don't need one worse than we need defensive linemen.  The only exception to that is Calvin Johnson.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 25, 2007, 06:35:48 PM

If we don't draft Calvin Johnson I don't want a receiver at all. We don't need one that badly. The only reason we might take Johnsons is because he's so good. Short of a mega talent like CJ, we have much bigger needs than even drafting a WR, much less moving up to get one. A return man would be nice, but not at the expense of a DE and a DT.

I didn't say we didn't need one.  I said we don't need one worse than we need defensive linemen.  The only exception to that is Calvin Johnson.

That I would agree with. They should probably grab one at 2b or 3 pending who they get with the first two picks.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

08stien

Practice Squad

#23 : April 25, 2007, 06:35:48 PM

After watching the Heisman winner in Troy Smith...it's hard to go after a guy from the Ohio State offense

Why do you think Troy won the Heisman?, and why do you think he sucked in the championship after Ginn went down?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#24 : April 25, 2007, 06:40:18 PM

Ginn = Warrick
Ginn = NFL Bust

I'd rather take Gonzalez or another WR later than Ginn.  We need DL help or maybe even S help more than Ginn that's for sure.  If you are trading up it better be for a SURE FIRE STAR, with all the holes we have.  Ginn IMO is not sure fire that's for sure.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#25 : April 25, 2007, 06:41:58 PM

After watching the Heisman winner in Troy Smith...it's hard to go after a guy from the Ohio State offense

Why do you think Troy won the Heisman?, and why do you think he sucked in the championship after Ginn went down?

He won the Heisman because, for the most part, he played mediocre defenses that his TEAM was much better than.

He sucked in the NC game because his slow O-Line couldn't match the quickness of the UF defense and he had ZERO time to throw.  Ginn would have had zero impact on that. 

netsbucscardsfan

Second String

#26 : April 25, 2007, 06:50:29 PM

i dont think Ginn's route running is as bad as some of yall are making it out to be. however i dont feel the need to trade up for any player in this draft. we just need to nail the picks that we have. no more dewayne whites or marquis coopers we need to make sure we get some impact players in the 2nd and 3rd round.

on another note. cans omeone explain to me how wide reciever isnt a need on this team. Has anyone seen the way Clayton played the last two seasons. has anyone ever seen Galloway play more then 2 consecutives seasons in a row healthy. ( then we have boston, hilliard, and stovall who couldnt beat out the pathetic clayton this season. our reciever core is just as good as the oakland raiders qb unit  

#27 : April 25, 2007, 06:56:32 PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Ginn drop into the middle of the 2nd round.

JC510

Practice Squad

#28 : April 25, 2007, 07:13:37 PM

My question to you is this JC510:  Do we need 1 wide receiver more than we need 2 defensive linemen?

It depends which linemen, but I'd take Ginn over what we can get in the 2nd round. And it's not just "1 wide receiver". Ginn has olympic speed that translates to the football field and he will be an elite return man that will change games. And our D-line for 2007 isn't that bad: Rice, Carter, Hovan, Spires and Wyms. We can wait for 2008 to sign Grant and/or draft DL in round 1.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 25, 2007, 07:16:03 PM

Ginn has olympic speed

But we are not asking him to do the 800m.   ;)

BTW - he ran a 4.38 at his workout, which isn't all that for a WR of his size.  Galloway was a 4.1 guy when he was younger, now that is olympic speed.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My argument for moving up for Ginn. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools