Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If we dont take Ryan Kalil « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

T

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 26, 2007, 03:57:13 PM

Kalil would be a steal in the 2nd saw him play in person at  the Rose Bowl 2 years back and he is dominant.

#16 : April 26, 2007, 04:24:42 PM

Kalil is an awesome center, I agree, he's gonna be a bonafide NFL starting center. I'm afraid Oakland is gonna take him tho' Being as Kiffin was Kalils OC at USC

I wouldnt put Dwayne Jarrett past them at 2 if he is still there

It would if they take Calvin Johnson

Unless something happend between now and Saturday its almost safe to say CJ will not be a raider

#17 : April 26, 2007, 04:27:04 PM

Kalil would be a steal in the 2nd saw him play in person at the Rose Bowl 2 years back and he is dominant.

I asked a bunch of USC people about Kalil to get their view.

"Absolute steal in the second if he is there"
"Intellegent"
"Team leader"
"Anchor"
"Most pro ready guy we have coming out this season"
"Athletic"
"Nasty"

If you know USC fan they dont give that title to just anyone

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 26, 2007, 05:39:32 PM

Kalil is an awesome center, I agree, he's gonna be a bonafide NFL starting center. I'm afraid Oakland is gonna take him tho' Being as Kiffin was Kalils OC at USC

I wouldnt put Dwayne Jarrett past them at 2 if he is still there

It would if they take Calvin Johnson

Unless something happend between now and Saturday its almost safe to say CJ will not be a raider

"Houston will almost certainly take Reggie Bush" quote by 99% of everybody last year.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 26, 2007, 06:33:35 PM

Kalil's a center, so no I don't take him at 2A, 2B, or even on the first day. I do agree C's a need, and I'm all for picking one on day 2, but history shows that you don't need to burn a first-day pick on a center to get a solid one.

Also, the Bucs have Wade (fading, but servicable), Buenning (learning, but proven at guard) and Millhauser (young and promising) already on their roster. The need isn't as dire as some are making it out to be.

the real question is do you want a pro bowl caliber player like Kalil or an average starter on the DL?

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 26, 2007, 07:26:50 PM

I think if Spencer slips to the second, he should be the guy. He'll be more than an average starter on the DL.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 26, 2007, 08:22:31 PM

oakland has already invested in jake grove though.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Mellow

Starter

#22 : April 26, 2007, 09:30:32 PM

Kalil's a center, so no I don't take him at 2A, 2B, or even on the first day. I do agree C's a need, and I'm all for picking one on day 2, but history shows that you don't need to burn a first-day pick on a center to get a solid one.

Also, the Bucs have Wade (fading, but servicable), Buenning (learning, but proven at guard) and Millhauser (young and promising) already on their roster. The need isn't as dire as some are making it out to be.

the real question is do you want a pro bowl caliber player like Kalil or an average starter on the DL?

S&B, I think we've had this conversation before, but . . .

First, you can't have pro-bowl caliber players at all positions; you can't pay them, even if you were so lucky to find them in the draft.  And the truth is that pro-bowl centers do NOT in general, come from the first round, or even first day.  It's instructive--go look up the pro-bowls for the past 10 years and see where the centers were drafted--if they even were drafted.  So I'd answer your question two ways: (a) no, I'd rather take a chance at finding a pro-bowl DE, for example, than a pro-bowl center at 2A; and (b) I'm not convinced spending a high 2nd-round pick significantly increases your odds of landing a pro-bowl center, even if that were your goal.  Remember all the accolades Eslinger received last year? 

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 26, 2007, 09:39:42 PM

First, you can't have pro-bowl caliber players at all positions; you can't pay them, even if you were so lucky to find them in the draft. And the truth is that pro-bowl centers do NOT in general, come from the first round, or even first day. It's instructive--go look up the pro-bowls for the past 10 years and see where the centers were drafted--if they even were drafted. So I'd answer your question two ways: (a) no, I'd rather take a chance at finding a pro-bowl DE, for example, than a pro-bowl center at 2A; and (b) I'm not convinced spending a high 2nd-round pick significantly increases your odds of landing a pro-bowl center, even if that were your goal. Remember all the accolades Eslinger received last year?

Agreed.  This draft is deep at DE, and we need youth.  I'm hoping we pick 2 DEs early day 1.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 26, 2007, 10:41:19 PM

First, you can't have pro-bowl caliber players at all positions; you can't pay them, even if you were so lucky to find them in the draft. And the truth is that pro-bowl centers do NOT in general, come from the first round, or even first day. It's instructive--go look up the pro-bowls for the past 10 years and see where the centers were drafted--if they even were drafted. So I'd answer your question two ways: (a) no, I'd rather take a chance at finding a pro-bowl DE, for example, than a pro-bowl center at 2A; and (b) I'm not convinced spending a high 2nd-round pick significantly increases your odds of landing a pro-bowl center, even if that were your goal. Remember all the accolades Eslinger received last year?

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this particular situation.  Yes I know a lot of starting centers have come in the mid rounds in previous drafts but this draft is week at center, Kalil is one of the best prospects in years(right up there with Mangold), and center is a need.  We have Wade who is probably the weakest links on the OL, is old, and no established backup behind him.  And yes I know you can't have pro bowl caliber players at evey position but if one is staring you in the face in the draft you can't ignore them which is why I didn't really have a problem with the team drafting Joesph last year as he has that kind of potential and was an immediate starter.  Also tell me which one of the DE or DT that will be available at #35 you can say that about.  I don't believe Spencer or Harrell will still be there.  Tim Crowder?  Charles Johnson?  Probably solid players yes but not elite.

Also, I was never big on Eslinger and neither were the professional scouts.  He's too small and could only play in a zone blocking scheme like the Broncos, who were the team that drafted him in the 7th.  And I bet he will never be a starter for them.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#25 : April 26, 2007, 11:57:25 PM

id be fine with Satele or even Datish in a later round, even Kyle young, and just let them sit and develop

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 27, 2007, 12:00:41 AM

They'll most likely be nothing more than backups.  The guy in the PR mock-7th round would be a better selection although I see him going before then.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#27 : April 27, 2007, 02:22:13 AM

They'll most likely be nothing more than backups. The guy in the PR mock-7th round would be a better selection although I see him going before then.

Kyle Young?

#28 : April 27, 2007, 07:39:23 AM

So you guys are saying that you are ok with John Wade for another season??

John Wade is probably the worst center in the league...he has blown so many blocks and doesnt have the ability to put anyone on their back.

Anyone drafted after Ryan Kalil will not be ready to come in and start next year.

Ryan will be able to take it on next year.

Its funny how a lot of people were willing to take Mangold last year round one...but have a problem with Kalil round two

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 27, 2007, 07:47:16 AM

Drafting a center with 2a would be plain stupid for this football team.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If we dont take Ryan Kalil « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools