Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayweather ~vs~ De La Hoya! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#105 : May 08, 2007, 10:02:54 PM

There are plenty of fighters like that now. But 99% of them are at the lower weight classes.
De La Hoya seemed to want to mix it up but Mayweather wanted to avoid the toe to toe
thing. It happened at the very end of the fight. Too late, though. A decent fight could
have been great.

I am not calling for blood or a knock-out in every fight but a toe to toe exchange a few
times during a bout would be nice. Yeah, you did seem to see more of that in the old days.

#106 : May 08, 2007, 10:11:35 PM

*Sigh* Really missing Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Mike Tyson, and Lennox Lewis right about now. :(

Evander Holyfield(when he could speak), "merciless" Ray Mercer... oh, can't forget Rocky  ;)

TEAMCALI

Starter

#107 : May 08, 2007, 10:19:48 PM

De la Hoya was the aggressor but didnt connect enough, he was trying the same trick Sugar Ray Leonard used against Hagler and threw a flurry of punches
 at the end of rounds. He never really had Mayweather in any trouble. Mayweather didnt go for the knockout, he was very clinical while De La Hoya was trying to brawl.
I give Oscar credit for taking it to Mayweather and I agree with the announcers that it was weird that he stopped using his left which had been effective. He couldnt explain why after the fight.

Not worth the 54 bucks,but Ive seen worse PPV fights which is why I dont watch that many anymore. It would have been a better fight if Mayweather went for a knockout instead of trying to out point De la Hoya.
  not to piggy back..   but this is well said.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#108 : May 11, 2007, 03:03:00 AM

This will be on HBO Sat. night @ 10 pm.
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayweather ~vs~ De La Hoya! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools