Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayweather ~vs~ De La Hoya! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 03, 2007, 06:12:02 PM

after watching the 24/7 on hbo i gotta say, mayweather is a punk.  go oscar.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Buckaroo55

Second String

#31 : May 03, 2007, 08:30:30 PM

Even though Mayweather is a good fighter he really hasn't fought nobody and has never taken many real punches, which is the same deal with Roy Jones and then he started getting his azz beaten badly against hard hitting no nonsense fighters. So with that being said "pretty boy" needs to prepare for a REAL fight against a REAL fighter Saturday night, and leave all the pretty stuff at home because it's gonna be ugly. 

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#32 : May 03, 2007, 08:51:58 PM

Mayweather is going to kill Del La Hoya and wear his skin like a suit.

And $55 dollars on PPV!? And people wonder why boxing is dead...

Buckaroo55

Second String

#33 : May 03, 2007, 09:40:52 PM

Some of you make it sound like De La Hoya is going to just immediately drop to the canvas and cry at the very sight of Mayweather, but to those that watch alot of boxing you know he has never done that and will fight his heart out in every fight.

#34 : May 03, 2007, 10:13:19 PM

I dont expect De Lay Hoya to drop to the mat and beg for mercy. But he is going to get beat, and he is going to get beat bad.

De La Hoya got beat twice by Sugar Shane Mosley and also Felix Trinidad. Also got beat by an old Bernard Hopkins, but I wont get on him too bad abot that one I still like B Hop. Why are any of us supposed to believe De La Hoya is a worthy competitor? Because of what he did to Mayorga?

Winky Wright beat Mosley twice (once in dominating fashion) and dominated Trinidad. I wonder if they ever get the money right for Winky and MAyweather to fight.

De La Hoya doesnt deserve the hype this fight is getting. Mayweather is going to run circles around him.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#35 : May 03, 2007, 10:18:30 PM

De La Hoya is a smart boxer and that might keep him in it, and keep him from getting killed, but there isn't any real reason to think he can win the fight.

#36 : May 03, 2007, 10:42:24 PM

Yea I think his experience and the fire Mayweather has burned under him may keep him from getting knocked out, but he will get destroyed in a decision. I expect Mayweather to do everything he can to knock De La Hoya out.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#37 : May 03, 2007, 10:47:47 PM

Yea I think his experience and the fire Mayweather has burned under him may keep him from getting knocked out, but he will get destroyed in a decision. I expect Mayweather to do everything he can to knock De La Hoya out.

Which may be what helps De La Hoya.  Mayweather needs to keep his composure and fight his fight.  Don't get caught up in trying to put on a show or knock a guy out.  That is when bad things happen.  Even at his advanced age Oscar is smart and experienced enough to make someone who is head hunting pay. 

#38 : May 03, 2007, 10:59:32 PM

Good point. I think Mayweather wil fightr smart for the first half of the fight. But I think Mayweather will be looking for a knockout as rounds 6-8 come around which is when he usually unleashes his knockout fury

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#39 : May 03, 2007, 11:11:46 PM

Also I think De La Hoya's best chance is if Mayweather's hand injury flares back up. 

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 03, 2007, 11:30:14 PM

I'm goin with Mayweather, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oscar pulled it out. He's a tremendous fighter and has way more heart than most. That said, I just think at this point in their careers that Mayweather's got the edge.

#41 : May 04, 2007, 01:10:27 AM

I dont expect De Lay Hoya to drop to the mat and beg for mercy. But he is going to get beat, and he is going to get beat bad.

My thoughts exactly. Its because Oscar is gonna keep coming that he will receive a total beatdown.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 04, 2007, 06:00:13 PM

Which may be what helps De La Hoya. Mayweather needs to keep his composure and fight his fight. Don't get caught up in trying to put on a show or knock a guy out. That is when bad things happen. Even at his advanced age Oscar is smart and experienced enough to make someone who is head hunting pay.

Advanced age? ODH is 34, JR is 30. That's not much of a difference.

I still challenge someone to tell me who JR has fought that's in Oscar's class.

BTW, weigh in today. Oscar came in @ 154, JR @ 150. Local boxing commentators think ODH will outweigh JR by 10-15 lbs by fight time.

Buckaroo55

Second String

#43 : May 04, 2007, 06:15:47 PM

Again much like Roy Jones Jr who hadn't been in any brawl type of fight until he met up with Tarver & was beaten soundly, I don't know if Mayweather is going to be able to break away from his pretty finesse style of fighting to bang heads toe to toe with De La Hoya(he may end up doing alot of back peddling and dancing to get away).

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 04, 2007, 06:25:42 PM

JRs going to find it hard to come inside w/o getting knocked around some. He's fast, but he's not a ghost. As far as I can tell from interviews and the HBO thing, ODH is going to try to cut off his lateral movement. Not an easy task, but if he can do it JRs going to have to brawl his way out, and ODH has the reach advantage.

Emanuel Steward was also on the radio yesterday questioning JRs opponents, saying that although he does deserve the pound for pound title, it's more because there isn't any real competition for him at his weight class than how good he is..
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayweather ~vs~ De La Hoya! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools