Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Gaines Adams even make us better? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 01, 2007, 08:10:05 PM

I wouldnt have complained with Levi Brown, Laron Landry, even Harrell seems to me as a DT to be more valuable than Gaines.

Levi Brown? I'd have puked.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 01, 2007, 08:12:21 PM

I don't know anything about any of these guys coming out of college since I don't watch college football. So I'll reserve judgement until I see him play a bit. However, rushing the passer is the single most important thing on defense (in my opinion). The great defenses always have a great pass rush.

touche, but our D is designed to pressure up the middle.  We havent been GREAT IMO since Warren lost his stuff.  Simeon, as good of an end rusher as he is, could never elevate our D to greatness like Sapp did.

It starts in the middle.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 01, 2007, 08:12:58 PM

I wouldnt have complained with Levi Brown, Laron Landry, even Harrell seems to me as a DT to be more valuable than Gaines.

Levi Brown? I'd have puked.

Well we wouldnt want that, now would we?

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 01, 2007, 08:15:14 PM

Well we wouldnt want that, now would we?

Definitely not. I like Anthony Davis better than Levi Brown.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#19 : May 01, 2007, 08:15:37 PM

Does Dwight Freeney help the Colts?

Does Julius Peppers help the Panthers?

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 01, 2007, 08:16:15 PM

I dont think I like AD better than anyone othert han Colmer ;D

PoorRichard

Starter

#21 : May 01, 2007, 08:16:36 PM

I dont like this pick. Its blah to me. Even if Gaines comes in and tears it up, the most we could hope for out of him would be production equal to what Rice has done for us.

With that said, how good has our D been the last couple years with Rice? Not very.

Dont like this pick, not crazy about last years 1st rounder, and Caddy isnt looking like a top 5 pick.

Missing in the 1st round will cost you your job in the long run.

Actually, when Sim has produced this D has been very good. They were number 1 in the NFL 2 years ago and turned in the best single playoff game defensive performance in league history albeit in a playoff loss.

The bottom line is that you may not be impressed but its obvious that you cant win in this league w/o a pass rush on the edge. The middle only needs to be stout against the run. To think the Levi Brown or J. Harrell would have been better picks is quite laughable. They may be good players, but Gaines was the best defensive player in the draft. He is onkly going to get better.

BTW, to downplay Sims role on this D over the last 6 years is a joke.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 01, 2007, 08:19:41 PM

The bottom line is that you may not be impressed but its obvious that you cant win in this league w/o a pass rush on the edge. The middle only needs to be stout against the run.

Well, yes and no. A cornerstone of this defense is a 3-technique who can create big push up the middle. It forces the QB to move out of the pocket and allows your DE's to clamp on him. That's why an athletic run-stopping NT is also critical since you want that UT getting into the backfield whenever he can.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 01, 2007, 08:20:39 PM

I dont think I like AD better than anyone othert han Colmer ;D

Colmer is probably the biggest bust we've ever had on the O line.   And that includes Charles McRae.   (Brett Moritz may give Colmer a run for his bust money though)

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 01, 2007, 08:21:17 PM

not downplaying it, hes been instrumental

we may have been #1 in 05 by the #s but hardly the best D in the league if you watched the games.  CHI was way better than us.

I agree edge rush is very important, not disputing that.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 01, 2007, 08:30:21 PM

Colmer is probably the biggest bust we've ever had on the O line.   And that includes Charles McRae.   (Brett Moritz may give Colmer a run for his bust money though)

Yuck, Charles McRae. Bad memories, man. And to be honest, in terms of "investment" I still have to rank Kenyatta #1, mostly because he cost us a #1 and a #2 and Backus and Light were still on the board after he was taken.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 01, 2007, 08:56:08 PM

Yuck, Charles McRae. Bad memories, man. And to be honest, in terms of "investment" I still have to rank Kenyatta #1, mostly because he cost us a #1 and a #2 and Backus and Light were still on the board after he was taken.
Forget offensive line with that pick. We could have had one of the top three quarterbacks in football, Drew Brees.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 01, 2007, 08:59:34 PM

Here's the bottom ten in team sacks last season. Six of the worst seven teams last year are on here.

23. Kansas City   
24. New York Giants
25. Detroit   
26. Minnesota   
27. Houston   
28. Cleveland   
29. Tennessee   
30. Indianapolis   
31. Tampa Bay   
32. Washington

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#28 : May 01, 2007, 09:01:19 PM

I don't know anything about any of these guys coming out of college since I don't watch college football. So I'll reserve judgement until I see him play a bit. However, rushing the passer is the single most important thing on defense (in my opinion). The great defenses always have a great pass rush.

touche, but our D is designed to pressure up the middle.  We havent been GREAT IMO since Warren lost his stuff.  Simeon, as good of an end rusher as he is, could never elevate our D to greatness like Sapp did.

It starts in the middle.

Yes, but the whole purpose of getting pressure in the middle is so that the QB can't step up into the pocket to avoid the pressure coming from the outside. So, it doesn't really "start in the middle", it's just one of two necessary components. It doesn't do you much good to collapse the pocket if there's no pressure outside.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 01, 2007, 09:02:32 PM

Forget offensive line with that pick. We could have had one of the top three quarterbacks in football, Drew Brees.

Dungy and McKay had faith in King at that time.   LOL!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Gaines Adams even make us better? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools