Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Gaines Adams even make us better? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 01, 2007, 09:09:17 PM

Here's the bottom ten in team sacks last season. Six of the worst seven teams last year are on here.

23. Kansas City   
24. New York Giants
25. Detroit   
26. Minnesota   
27. Houston   
28. Cleveland   
29. Tennessee   
30. Indianapolis   
31. Tampa Bay   
32. Washington
Minnesota's DE Udeze started all 16 games and recorded 0 sacks. With both Williams brothers playing.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

gone

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 01, 2007, 09:10:20 PM

I don't know anything about any of these guys coming out of college since I don't watch college football. So I'll reserve judgement until I see him play a bit. However, rushing the passer is the single most important thing on defense (in my opinion). The great defenses always have a great pass rush.

touche, but our D is designed to pressure up the middle.  We havent been GREAT IMO since Warren lost his stuff.  Simeon, as good of an end rusher as he is, could never elevate our D to greatness like Sapp did.

It starts in the middle.

Yes, but the whole purpose of getting pressure in the middle is so that the QB can't step up into the pocket to avoid the pressure coming from the outside. So, it doesn't really "start in the middle", it's just one of two necessary components. It doesn't do you much good to collapse the pocket if there's no pressure outside.

Interior pressure > Outside pressure, period.  But you can't function without at least one, so you take outside of that's what you can get.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#32 : May 01, 2007, 09:30:08 PM

Lets remember a few things for a second.

1) The safest position in the top of the 1st round has always been either Left Tackle or defensive end. DE wins the argument at the end because there are far more guys selected at DE in the top (top 15) of the first round than tackles.

2) The riskiest position on the defense and one of the riskiest overall is by FAR defensive tackle. Whereas DE's have a 75%+ chance of success, DT's have a 40-50% success rate as evidence by the drafts of the last 10 years (i can pull stats to verify if you would like).

3) Lets talk about interior pressure for a second. Minnesota has the best pair of DT's in the NFL right now. Their 61.6 rushing yards per game allowed is one of the lowest in NFL history. Yet, they allowed 20.4 points per game - 14th in the NFL. Only .1 points out of 17th in the NFL and only 1.7 points lower than our 22.1. And Kevin Williams is one of the premier pass rushing DT's in the NFL. But what do they miss - outside pressure.

4) Lets talk some more about outside pressure. 2004 - without Warren Sapp in the lineup we lead the league in sacks with 46. we had an outstanding D that year that never got any glory because we couldn't put up ANY points. We were tied for 9th in scoring despite having an offense that couldn't stay on the field worth a damn. WHy? Edge rush. When Simeon - who only had 12 sacks - mostly because he drew ALL of the double coverage - wasn't getting to the QB, Greg SPires was. So was White. So was Booger - when healthy. Key - 2 rushing ends. THis year, we will have that with Rice and Gaines. Next year - we will get another one to play LDE in the draft.

AS for teh rest of your post - lets discuss some more.

You don't like the Caddy pick? HOnestly - how anyone but the most cynic person (or the TBBB crowd - they are sheep) can blame Caddy for last year is beyond me. I saw this guy put moves on DT's that totally shook 'em - only to have 4 more guys in the backfield bring him down for a huge loss. Last year's lack of run game was ALL on the offensive line and lack of passing game.

Davin Joseph. Dude - the guy is/ Yes, we know "Marcus McNeil". How much of McNeils success do you think has to do with where he plays? THe fact that he has LT and Neal behind him? THe fact that he's got a whole bunch of amazing linemen around him? Consider this - Jamaal Brown was the only Saints limene to make the pro-bowl last year. My honest opnion - he was probably the second WEAKEST linemen on that team. Jahri Evans and Jon Stitchcomb outperformed him easily.

Clayton - I can agree. Hasn't done much. Then again, which of our receivers did? Galloway put up numbers sure but was wildly inconsistent. So was Alex Smith when in there. WE need to see how this offense functions with 1) Solid offensive line play - which we should finally have signs of this year and 2) a veteran QB that knows how to run it - agina - this year.

LA BUC

Starter

#33 : May 02, 2007, 12:58:47 AM

We need speed on the outside, he will end up on the right side for now. I think he can knockout Jake Delhomme! Yes happy day's again.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : May 02, 2007, 01:25:48 AM

Gaines adams is an AWESOME pick.  No need to explain why.

We have all been over this a million times...what the heck is there not to like about a DE who can put pressure on a QB?  Exactly what?

Sexy value?  Screw that.

There are no Warren Sapps in this years, last years, or next years draft.  Warren Sapp is a once in a decade type of guy.  Simeon is a stud DE, and to have him groom Gaines is going to increase his upside.  Gaines works hard, and Sim is an animal when it comes to training.  This is a match made in heaven.  Aside from Joe Thomas, there was NOBODY I wanted more in the draft...it ALL starts in the trenches man.  No protection, no holes?  No offense.

No pressure, no sacks?  No Cover 2.

Pretty simple stuff.  Okoye is no Sapp.  Harrell is no Sapp.  None of the DTs made me think we should be burning #4 on them...Laron Landry is a SAFETY!  WTH is he going to do if the QB has 7 seconds to dissect the zone?  Nothing.  It is pressure generated that makes Tampa 2 work...not the secondary play.  Secondary guys are beneficiaries of the D-line usually in Tampa 2...

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#35 : May 02, 2007, 01:37:50 AM

great posts bklynbucs11 and Boid Fink...these are the kind of thought out posts i like to read on here

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 02, 2007, 01:46:38 AM

Does this thread even make us better?

I dont like this thread.  Its blah to me.  Even if the rest of the forum goers come in and tear it up, the most we could hope for out of this would be entertainment and insight equal to what no lest then half a dozen other strikingly simular threads have done for us.

With that said, how good has this forum been the last couple days with those half a dozen or so other threads?  Not very. 

Dont like this thead, not crazy about last handful just like it, and none of them arelooking like a top 50 thread.

Starting aweful crap like this will cost you in the long run.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : May 02, 2007, 01:48:00 AM

Does this thread even make us better?

I dont like this thread. Its blah to me. Even if the rest of the forum goers come in and tear it up, the most we could hope for out of this would be entertainment and insight equal to what no lest then half a dozen other strikingly simular threads have done for us.

With that said, how good has this forum been the last couple days with those half a dozen or so other threads? Not very.

Dont like this thead, not crazy about last handful just like it, and none of them arelooking like a top 50 thread.

Starting aweful crap like this will cost you in the long run.

And?....

(LMAO!)

;)

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#38 : May 02, 2007, 01:57:36 AM

i had the luxury to go see us play twice last year and you didnt have to see it for urself at ray jay to know how much time the oposing qb had to throw last year. so to answer ur question yes he does help this team get better he is the best pass rushing prospect in the draft if thats not enough to help this defense nothing is.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 02, 2007, 01:59:59 AM

i had the luxury to go see us play twice last year and you didnt have to see it for urself at ray jay to know how much time the oposing qb had to throw last year. so to answer ur question yes he does help this team get better he is the best pass rushing prospect in the draft if thats not enough to help this defense nothing is.
Let this thread die after this post.

Gaines is perfect for this defense.

He is not just an edge guy, he can make splash plays, he can hit the RB in the backfield, he is fast, quick, YOUNG, and works hard!  Can't wait to see what overall impact he makes on the defense. 

klb55

Starter

#40 : May 02, 2007, 03:06:12 AM

There is no question this pick makes us better.  Boid said it best no pressure no tampa 2.  Gaines can rush the passer from the LDE position.  In obvious passing downs QBs are going to be very uncomfortable with Rice and Adams rushing the passer.  I suspect he will play LDE on passing downs.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 02, 2007, 08:52:45 AM

With that said, how good has our D been the last couple years with Rice?  Not very. 

Last year w/o Rice is was terrible - 14th.

The year before with Rice it was #1 overall. The year before that with Rice it was #5 and before that #5 so I'm not sure how this defense has been terrible other than when Rice was hurt so that seems to me to say the pick, if he is Simeon Rice, should make us a lot better.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

orlandobuc

Starter

#42 : May 02, 2007, 09:15:51 AM

Rice got gassed many times last season, even if Gaines starts behind Rice, we will benefit. He also has a year to learn from Rice before Rice goes. The draw back on Gaines on the let COULD be that neither guy is really a run stuffer as you like to see on the left side. But we had to replace Dwayne White in some way and this way makes sense.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#43 : May 02, 2007, 09:43:42 AM

You guys have to understand, ICIT is from NY.  He is a Yankee fan.  He is accustomed to his team trading the farm for one guy.  Then when that guy doesn't win a title they'll boo him.

I suppose we could have traded the farm for CJ.  Then maybe we would have a "sexy" name but not be able to address our multiple holes.  We might see some big plays here and there but really not be any better.  Then we'd be here next year wondering why our Defense looked so damn old......

Gaines makes us better, or at least give us a good chance to be.  Not just by himself, but being that the only other option was trading up for CJ, staying and taking the BAP at a need spot in Gaines, add in our 2nd round picks and more (which it would have taken to move up) and tell me which is going to make a better team?  I'll take Gaines and the others over CJ all day long.

Bucin1976

Rookie

#44 : May 02, 2007, 10:02:31 AM

To add to what most of you are saying about Adams being a good pick and to answer the question if a DE can be a game changer:

I remember quite well Sim coming off the edge and creating fumbles during the SB run. How many times did he hit the QB's arm ( especially McNabb ) and create a turnover. Also how about the big sack on 3rd and goal in the SB that made the Raiders settle for 3 instead of 7. How about Spires getting his hands up to deflect the pass so our DB's made INT. How many times do we see D Freeney turn a 2nd and 3 into a 3rd and 11?
I like the pick simply because there is no substitute for speed and our D is based upon speed.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Gaines Adams even make us better? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools