Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Gaines Adams even make us better? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#45 : May 02, 2007, 10:05:46 AM

Who would you rather have?    Lee Roy Selmon or Keyshawn Johnson?    I think that shows which position is more important.   Both were first picks in the draft.   But there's no comparison as to which anyone would rather have.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#46 : May 02, 2007, 10:23:17 AM

To add to what most of you are saying about Adams being a good pick and to answer the question if a DE can be a game changer:

I remember quite well Sim coming off the edge and creating fumbles during the SB run. How many times did he hit the QB's arm ( especially McNabb ) and create a turnover. Also how about the big sack on 3rd and goal in the SB that made the Raiders settle for 3 instead of 7. How about Spires getting his hands up to deflect the pass so our DB's made INT. How many times do we see D Freeney turn a 2nd and 3 into a 3rd and 11?
I like the pick simply because there is no substitute for speed and our D is based upon speed.

Good list and, again, go look at the salaries. A salary is nothing more than a measure of value and in football terms value  = helping win games. QB, LOT, DE are the highest paid spots. While in Madden they aren't game changers in the real world they are difference makers and the highlight film guys (RB, WR, TE) are further down the list.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#47 : May 02, 2007, 10:38:30 AM

It is impossible to trade for an elite pass rusher.  If you can get one in the draft, you go out and get him.  IF Adams is in the same league as Rice, we made a great pick. 

If you look at our last 3 first round picks prior to Adams, can anyone honestly say another team would trade a 1st round pick for them, let alone an equivalent pick to where they were drafted?  Adams, on the other hand, if he becomes a 15 sack guy, could be traded for 2 #1's at the minimum. 

He is good value. 

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#48 : May 06, 2007, 01:18:18 AM

Like your thought Boid. The only thing I would challenge from your post is saying that there isn't a good DT in next years draft. I was hoping Glen Dorsey from LSU
( http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2007/02/lsus_glenn_dorsey_got_bad_advi_1.html ) was coming out - but someone talked him out of it. He will be a good one next year.

As for my feelings on Gaines: Monte knows what he's looking for and this is the guy he wanted. That should be all anyone needs to say. You must replace the succesfule portion of your team as it ages. Gruden knows that the attacking defensive pressure gives his offense a chance for a score or does the scoring by itself.

Anyone that underestimates Rice's contribution is either denying reality or trying to sell a thread. Having said that, Rice won't last forever and Adams is the closest thing to a Rice clone as we're going to see. We definitely needed this pick.

I'm a CJ guy and would have loved to have gotten him and then duplicated this draft but I've come to love the Adams pick as well as the following 6 out of 10 defensive draftees. Our offense hasn't been great, but this year the improvements through FA have me pretty satisfied that the Bucs are doing all they can to improve.

That draft sent a chilling message to the rest of the NFL...we know what made us great and we're going to do it again.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

bklynbucs11

Starter

#49 : May 06, 2007, 01:38:35 AM

Like your thought Boid. The only thing I would challenge from your post is saying that there isn't a good DT in next years draft. I was hoping Glen Dorsey from LSU
( http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2007/02/lsus_glenn_dorsey_got_bad_advi_1.html ) was coming out - but someone talked him out of it. He will be a good one next year.

As for my feelings on Gaines: Monte knows what he's looking for and this is the guy he wanted. That should be all anyone needs to say. You must replace the succesfule portion of your team as it ages. Gruden knows that the attacking defensive pressure gives his offense a chance for a score or does the scoring by itself.

Anyone that underestimates Rice's contribution is either denying reality or trying to sell a thread. Having said that, Rice won't last forever and Adams is the closest thing to a Rice clone as we're going to see. We definitely needed this pick.

I'm a CJ guy and would have loved to have gotten him and then duplicated this draft but I've come to b]love[/b] the Adams pick as well as the following 6 out of 10 defensive draftees. Our offense hasn't been great, but this year the improvements through FA have me pretty satisfied that the Bucs are doing all they can to improve.

That draft sent a chilling message to the rest of the NFL...we know what made us great and we're going to do it again.

Don't forget Frank Okam and Sedrick Ellis. Both will be first rounders. And remember, this is just talking about seniors. We're not even mentioning other seniors who may have a breakout campaign (Amobi Okoye would have been a 3rd/4th rounder if not for his senior year) and underclassmen. No, next year's draft looks MUCH better at DT than this year.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#50 : May 06, 2007, 11:30:07 AM

If not this year, then next and for years after that. Rice is likely gone next year, and you've got to get better in the trenches if you want to win football games. If this defense had generated more pressure from the front four last season, they'd have won more games.

I get that, but does Gaines help us in the trenches? Looks to me like hes just an edge player, hes either gonna get a sack or run himself out of the play.

Like all the pass rushing DEs before him hes weak at the POA and doesnt excell vs the run. I thought we were going to improve the pass rush from the inside out with DTs, like this D is designed to do.

Unfortuantely ICIT, this was a weak DT class so we really couldn't get the player we needed to beef up the interior d-line.  That being said, trading for Sims post draft was a nice move.  No doubt he underachieved in KC but he's still in his twenties so new scenery and better coaching could spark him.  His athleticism and upside made him a top 10 pick in 2002 and with 5 years under his belt he's better right now than almost any college DT we could have drafted.  We'll see what he brings to the table. 

As for Adams, what he gives us is another pass rusher.  Rice has been the only pass rushing threat we've had in recent years and offenses can design their blocking schemes and play calling accordingly.  Adams gives us an added threat and i believe in obvious passing situations a healthy Rice and Adams will be on the field at the same time coming hard off the edges trying to beat eachother to the QB. 

MVP

Pro Bowler

#51 : May 06, 2007, 11:37:39 AM

You might want to check out Monte's press conference for introducing Gaines. He summed it up best. It is not so much about sacks, even though those are great, it is more about pressure. If the defense can not pressure the QB in some way then it falls apart. Even if Gaines does not sack the QB every play as long as he is harassing him then the rest of the defense can do its job as well.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#52 : May 06, 2007, 11:44:57 AM

You might want to check out Monte's press conference for introducing Gaines. He summed it up best. It is not so much about sacks, even though those are great, it is more about pressure. If the defense can not pressure the QB in some way then it falls apart. Even if Gaines does not sack the QB every play as long as he is harassing him then the rest of the defense can do its job as well.
I really like your sig, alot

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#53 : May 06, 2007, 11:46:55 AM

With that said, how good has our D been the last couple years with Rice? Not very.

Last year w/o Rice is was terrible - 14th.

The year before with Rice it was #1 overall. The year before that with Rice it was #5 and before that #5 so I'm not sure how this defense has been terrible other than when Rice was hurt so that seems to me to say the pick, if he is Simeon Rice, should make us a lot better.

best post in this whole topic ... other than it, the thread gets a big ole CLICK

T

Hall of Famer

#54 : May 06, 2007, 08:24:15 PM

Gaines Adams,Cato June & the new coaches added to the defense will have this defense back in the top 10 again. A top 10 Defense will improve the overall team ALOT. The Bucs have had a very weak pass rush the last two years and I believe Adams will help out alot with that.

If the offensive line can hold up and become good run blockers and give Garcia or Simms adequate time, this team can be turned around really quick. I like our chances next year.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#55 : May 06, 2007, 08:28:53 PM

Gaines Adams,Cato June & the new coaches added to the defense will have this defense back in the top 10 again. A top 10 Defense will improve the overall team ALOT. The Bucs have had a very weak pass rush the last two years and I believe Adams will help out alot with that.

If the offensive line can hold up and become good run blockers and give Garcia or Simms adequate time, this team can be turned around really quick. I like our chances next year.
I agree, if our offense can run the football and our D is playing like its old form we should be straight. Adams should be getting that pressure around the edge along with Rice, I hope Wyms/Carter steps up!!

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

BayDay39

Second String

#56 : May 06, 2007, 08:38:33 PM

I dont like this pick. Its blah to me. Even if Gaines comes in and tears it up, the most we could hope for out of him would be production equal to what Rice has done for us.

With that said, how good has our D been the last couple years with Rice? Not very.

Dont like this pick, not crazy about last years 1st rounder, and Caddy isnt looking like a top 5 pick.

Missing in the 1st round will cost you your job in the long run.

yeah, being ranked the #1 overall defense 2 seasons ago wasn't anything special.......
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Gaines Adams even make us better? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools