Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can you believe we were one pick away from getting this guy?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

LA BUC

Starter

#15 : May 03, 2007, 12:07:49 AM

We needed to get Sears, he's big and mean. that was the best film I have ever seen of an offensive linemen.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 03, 2007, 10:27:10 AM

Everything is not measurables but I agree that he doesn't seem to fit the profile of a LBer in the Bucs scheme.  PR has reported that Poz was going to be the pick had Buffalo not grabbed him so apparently the Bucs disagree with those of us who aren't sure he'd fit.

The only question about the Sears pick is not his ability, it's whether they should have selected Kalil...an arguable point.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

#17 : May 03, 2007, 11:34:16 AM

Everything is not measurables but I agree that he doesn't seem to fit the profile of a LBer in the Bucs scheme. PR has reported that Poz was going to be the pick had Buffalo not grabbed him so apparently the Bucs disagree with those of us who aren't sure he'd fit.

I think playing at the position he would have played...being a player who could come in, learn the defense (he is extremly intellegent), and stop the run (which is his biggest asset) he could have been a great LB in this system.

Oh...you guys are talking about speed of LB in the Tampa Two defenses

Pos ran a 4.65

The Colts took Clint Session who runs a 4.57
The Steelers took Lawrence Timmons who ran a 4.59
The Bears took Mike Okwo who ran a 4.65

The Colts were hoping Beason would drop to them or they would have made him their first round pick
Beason ran a 4.72

Barett Ruud ran a 4.65 during his camp

I am sure Shelton Quarles on one leg never maintained 4.5 speed....if he did he would be a freak

So where are you going with speed?

Its what you can do on the field...are you smart? Are you physical? Are you a good tackler? Can you play in coverage when asked to?

Speed is measured as closing in on runners and taking them down...we are gang tacklers we rarely tackle one on one. We count on our DL to slow the backs down then our LB clean up on them...thats why you hear everyone say if a CB is your leading tackler on you D it means the defense isnt working...the DL must initiate the tackle and the LB finish them off

If anything our DL is what exposes us more than LB

There were faster LB on the board but we never took them.

Sears Is a great selection dont get me wrong but IMO he isnt a guy that we couldnt fill in in a few picks down the line

Doug Free
James Marten
Marshall Yanda
Ryan Harris

were still on the board in the third round to select

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 03, 2007, 12:05:12 PM

No big deal. Pos isn't anything special IMO

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

PoorRichard

Starter

#19 : May 03, 2007, 12:20:01 PM

Too slow to play in our D. I'd bet the 4.65 was clocked in Happy Valley. Even if 4.65 were believable (which it is not IMO) he is still too slow.

#20 : May 03, 2007, 01:20:43 PM

Too slow to play in our D. I'd bet the 4.65 was clocked in Happy Valley. Even if 4.65 were believable (which it is not IMO) he is still too slow.

Yes but look what I posted

Pos ran a 4.65

The Colts took Clint Session who runs a 4.57
The Steelers took Lawrence Timmons who ran a 4.59
The Bears took Mike Okwo who ran a 4.65

The Colts were hoping Beason would drop to them or they would have made him their first round pick
Beason ran a 4.72

Barett Ruud ran a 4.65 during his camp

I am sure Shelton Quarles on one leg never maintained 4.5 speed....if he did he would be a freak

So where are you going with speed?

Why is POS too slow in our system but Barett Ruud is a great tampa 2 LB?
Why is Beason being pursued by Dungy with a 4.72 speed?

The speed of POS is an cop out for  "we just like this kid"

#21 : May 03, 2007, 06:08:46 PM

Its not fair to talk about speed, and use 40 yard dash time as the measuring stick

Great LBs who have great game speed usually have much more noticable instincts than 40 times. I think Pos has great instincts. I also think he is very quick to the ball coming down hill. I dont think his schange of direction speed or agility are that impressive at all. You really cant judge LB's speed based on 40 yard dash time. The only time they are utilizing that 40 yard dash is on punt coverage and in pursuit.

I think Barret Ruud has better agility and sideline to sideline speed than Pos. You can throw the 40 times out the window in this case.

I dont think Pos would be a terrible choice for MLB, but considering we have Barret Ruud why would we draft him? Why is it a big deal that he went 1 spot before us, when we had no need for him?

devasher

Starter
#22 : May 03, 2007, 09:56:42 PM

I agree with GC, the Bucs may have wanted him, but that doesnt mean it wouldve been the right choice.

Pos was moved to middle LB for the last 4 games of the season for Penn. St. Thats not exactly a ringing endorsement if the guy had to be moved out of his regular spot at the college level BEFORE the Senior Bowl.

Pos would've duplicated at a possible lower level what Ruud brings to the table at MLB. His athleticism from the game tape last year does not leave me to believe he will be a successful NFL backer in the Bucs defensive scheme as a Sam or Will unless he regains that lost step. 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can you believe we were one pick away from getting this guy?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools