Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Draft Moving to Friday night? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

original

Pro Bowler

« : May 04, 2007, 10:40:32 AM »

NFL moving draft into prime time?

According to an industry source, the NFL has had preliminary discussions about moving the first round of the draft into prime time on Friday, reports the STAR-TRIBUNE.

The remaining rounds would be conducted on Saturday and Sunday. The thinking on this issue appears to be twofold. One, carrying the opening round in prime time means more viewers would be available to watch. Two, some NFL officials believe it would be a good idea to give teams time to decompress before Round 2.

The biggest issue with having Round 1 of the draft at night would be making sure it could be done in a reasonable amount of time. Saturday's first round took 6 hours, 8 minutes, easily topping the previous high of 5:48 set in 2002. But getting it shortened might be a challenge because there doesn't seem to be much of an appetite from NFL officials to cut down on the current 15 minutes between picks.

Very Interesting.  I like the idea.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 04, 2007, 10:48:58 AM »

I still don't get the insane need for 15 minutes.

Any trade that can be done in 15 can get done in 10, just have to get to the point faster. Teams shouldn't need 15 minutes to make their decision, they should have a board, know roughly who they are gonna pick and be able to start narrowing that down as time draws near.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 04, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »

I can't stand that 15 minutes, it doesn't make any sense to have the length of time in between picks.

original

Pro Bowler

« #3 : May 04, 2007, 11:09:01 AM »

Agree that round one should be 10 mins and second, third and forth - 5 mins and all the rest 2.5min.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #4 : May 04, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »

The thing that drove me mad, was teams announcing a trade with 8-9 min. left then using every remaining sec. If you traded up, then you know exactly who you want. [banghead]

quezilla

Hall of Famer
« #5 : May 04, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »

They should give an incentive to teams that pic faster.  I understand the need to wait, they may have an offer out, and are waiting to see if someone bites.  1st round piks are huge.  Look at how long it took for the CBA, and imagine calculating contracts, talking to agents/ gms, 15 min. isn't that long.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 04, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »

If they know who they want and have a board they can make a quick decision but 15 minutes doesn’t give them much time to listen to trade offers, call players and make the final decision. 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #7 : May 04, 2007, 11:34:31 AM »

10 min. 1st round, 8 2nd, then 5 minutes for the rest and each team gets 1- 5min. time-out for each day.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 04, 2007, 11:36:21 AM »

If they know who they want and have a board they can make a quick decision but 15 minutes doesn’t give them much time to listen to trade offers, call players and make the final decision. 

A shorter time frame doesn't stop deals in every other round or calling players and agents. In fact, the longer time frame clearly doesn't help deals happen in r1 since so few do.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 04, 2007, 05:20:11 PM »

I hope they decrease the 15 mintues to like 10-8 min. Moving the draft a day early is fine with me.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

dm4bucs

Starter
« #10 : May 04, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »

The thing that drove me mad, was teams announcing a trade with 8-9 min. left then using every remaining sec. If you traded up, then you know exactly who you want. [banghead]

That killed me also!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #11 : May 04, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »

The final decision between certain players should have been made prior to the draft.  You should know in every circumstance who you would take over who within the first 32 picks.  As for calling the player, there's no law that says you have to do that on the clock.  It's not like you pick a guy and then when you call he says, "You know what coach?  I'm not ready to become a Buccaneer!"

bklynbucs11

Starter

« #12 : May 04, 2007, 05:44:57 PM »

This is the worst idea i can possibly imagine.

one reason - the fans. Not the ones that watch - the ones that go. This thing gets PACKED - trust me, I was there. I'm assuming they're going to keep having it at Radio City - its definitely the best venue (having been to all 3 of the places). There are crowd problems at Radio City on saturday at 9am when people are mostly sleeping. Can they even IMAGINE the kind of crowd control problems they are going to have when the crowds line up - at Rush hour on 48th and 6th avenue on a FRIDAY with 5,000+ NFL fans crowding around a 2 block radius?

Unless they plan to turn this event completely private and disallow fans  "I HIGHLY doubt that" - this will not be a possibility.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 05, 2007, 02:59:29 AM »

One thing about the draft is I am surprised they haven't started moving it around to different NFL cities yet.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : May 05, 2007, 09:01:56 AM »

I got it!  Let rd1 remain 15, but any team that selects their player before the 10 minute mark in round 1 AND the 5 minute marks in both rds 2 & 3 recieve a 7th round compensatory pick ;)
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Draft Moving to Friday night? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools