Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Deputy Uses Excessive Force on Woman Rushing to Hospital to See Heart Attack Dad « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

JC510

Practice Squad

#15 : May 04, 2007, 07:58:17 PM

I don't think the cop did anything wrong. They hear lies all the time, so unfortunately they have to assume the person is lying. When she took off when he was running her info at that point he had to assume she had warrants and was was fleeing arrest, hence the force when he took her out of the car. For all he knew she could have had a weapon.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 04, 2007, 08:26:17 PM

Much better article here:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/04/Tampabay/Driver_in_video_first.shtml

At the end, there's a bit about how this officer ALLEGEDLY went overboard at a Bucs'
game versus a Bucs' fan.

JC, good to see some new blood on The Cove. I rarely see anything from you here.

I don't think the cop did anything wrong. They hear lies all the time, so unfortunately they have to assume the person is lying. When she took off when he was running her info at that point he had to assume she had warrants and was was fleeing arrest, hence the force when he took her out of the car. For all he knew she could have had a weapon.

Really? So if she might have had a weapon, why not approach the car and ask her to get out
with her hands in view instead of reaching in and trying to pull her out?

And when she asked to have the ticket written in the emergency room, do you think that
might have given him a clue that her story was legit?

These kind of incidents have gone down under Gee. So this type of thing is becoming more
and more isolated. Good.

But to just brush it off and say he didn't do anything wrong? The woman involved was
NOT the one who filed a complaint. It as internal affairs that started the investigation.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 04, 2007, 08:34:32 PM

Obviously in hindsight it all sounds real nice for the lady.  The cop could have tried to verify the story and he should have.  That's why he's being suspended.  Let's not twist it and try and make it look like he's getting suspended for dragging her of the car.  He could have pulled a gun on her and no one would have cared.  He's being suspended for not using sound judgement in checking her story.  The title of your thread is totally off base.  No excessive force was used at all.

No, my title is dead on.

Do people here read the posts before responding?

From the article...

Officials said Stabins' lack of compassion and use of "excessive and unnecessary" force in the arrest Nov. 1 brought him a five-day suspension without pay. The recommendation came after a recent Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office disciplinary hearing.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 07, 2007, 12:27:43 PM

Conspiracy theory? What does that have to do with anything? Why do people on this board
feel the need to comment on my other interests when discussing another, unrelated topic?

Why don't you bring up UFOs and Bigfoot?

The quotes from the article are pretty clear. And to make it even clearer, the charges were
dropped.

And if I was that woman, I would have done the same thing. Only thing I would question
is her speeding that much. But I don't know what kind of road she was on so I can't
make a judgment.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 04, 2007, 09:05:02 PM

Obviously in hindsight it all sounds real nice for the lady. The cop could have tried to verify the story and he should have. That's why he's being suspended. Let's not twist it and try and make it look like he's getting suspended for dragging her of the car. He could have pulled a gun on her and no one would have cared. He's being suspended for not using sound judgement in checking her story. The title of your thread is totally off base. No excessive force was used at all.

No, my title is dead on.

Do people here read the posts before responding?

From the article...

Officials said Stabins' lack of compassion and use of "excessive and unnecessary" force in the arrest Nov. 1 brought him a five-day suspension without pay. The recommendation came after a recent Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office disciplinary hearing.

I read it and believe the official is wrong.  In fact I believe the only reason he's saying that is because he was talking to the press.  In reality the guy should have taken her sown with a gun as he would have done to anyone else.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 04, 2007, 09:16:51 PM

Put aside the officer's actions for a moment.

Let's say one of us had a Mom or Dad who we knew had chest pains and had
to drive themselves to the hospital. If you didn't know if your Mom or Dad
had made it, how would you have handled the situation? Remember, it's
possible, as you are waiting for your ticket, that you parent is on the side
of the road somewhere, unconscious, close to death.

Would you risk a further ticket or arrest to find out what was going on
with your parent? Or would you just sit in your car and wait?

I know what I would do.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 07, 2007, 11:48:07 AM

Joe – that says he was suspended for the use of excessive force, the compassion bit was journalistic license.  Your problem is you are so wound up in conspiracy theories and anti-establishment agendas you can’t analyze things rationally.

tonyflash

Starter

#22 : May 05, 2007, 12:24:00 AM

At the end, there's a bit about how this officer ALLEGEDLY went overboard at a Bucs'
game versus a Bucs' fan.

There was 6 days between this and the arrest of the lady. This was at the game vs the Saints. Blowouts lead to more fights in the stands. Another reason for the Bucs to improve on last season's record. ;)

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 05, 2007, 12:35:40 AM

This woman is stupid.  First she risks other peoples lives by doing 63mph in a 35mph zone, then she drives off while the officer is writing a ticket…..AND why?  Because her dad had chest pains and went to hospital.  What was she achieving? Was she going to scrub up and help save his life if the chest pains turned out to be a major coronary.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 05, 2007, 01:03:36 AM

This woman is stupid.  First she risks other peoples lives by doing 63mph in a 35mph zone,

Let's see... I hear my Dad is possibly having a heart attack and is on his way to the
hospital. And he's driving himself. You're darn right I would speed! Anybody who
claims otherwise is being disingenuous. Or, they don't care to much about the
person. I can see MJS now. "Gee, this could be a life or death situation but
the speed limit is 35. I better obey the law."

Please.

then she drives off while the officer is writing a ticket…..AND why?  Because her dad had chest pains and went to hospital.  What was she achieving? Was she going to scrub up and help save his life if the chest pains turned out to be a major coronary.

No, she stated that she wanted to get there to find out if he arrived OK. And if he didn't, then she was
going to drive around and see if his car was on the side of the road with her Dad passed out at the
wheel.

People tend to act in unexpected ways when their loved ones are involved. Stupid? Hardly. Just a
loving daughter doing what all of us would have done. Well, most of us.

By the way, the other possibility (the woman didn't claim this) is that she wanted to see
her Dad before it was too late. Once again, most of us would try to do the same thing.
You don't take a chance with stuff like this if you can avoid it.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 05, 2007, 08:28:57 AM

Put aside the officer's actions for a moment.

Let's say one of us had a Mom or Dad who we knew had chest pains and had
to drive themselves to the hospital. If you didn't know if your Mom or Dad
had made it, how would you have handled the situation? Remember, it's
possible, as you are waiting for your ticket, that you parent is on the side
of the road somewhere, unconscious, close to death.

Would you risk a further ticket or arrest to find out what was going on
with your parent? Or would you just sit in your car and wait?

I know what I would do.
And I know Id like to be the cop who stopped you

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 05, 2007, 09:32:59 AM

This woman is stupid.  First she risks other peoples lives by doing 63mph in a 35mph zone, then she drives off while the officer is writing a ticket…..AND why?  Because her dad had chest pains and went to hospital.  What was she achieving? Was she going to scrub up and help save his life if the chest pains turned out to be a major coronary.

I totally agree.   The woman arriving 1/2 hour quicker to the hospital would help her Dad absolutely zero.   I'm glad to see the cops putting a stop to people acting irrationally and endangering others since they are "emotionally upset".   

I was in Australia recently and having lunch with a friend who is the CFO for the company I was consulting for.   He gets a call on his cell phone from his wife (a dentist) telling him her dad has just had a heart attack.   He jumps up and says "I'll be right there honey to drive with you to the hospital".   But she stops him and says "there's nothing we can do that the doctors can't, I have one more patient.   Let's go there together in an hour."    LOL!   And she is extremely close to her dad, and loves him very much.

My friend tells me, "Sure there's nothing we can do to help her dad.  I was going to go there immediately as emotional support for her and her mother."    "I thought she might freak out and drive crazily and have an accident.   She sounds fine.  Let's finish our lunch.   I'll go pick her up at her office and take her to the hospital, so I won't be able to work with you today."

That seemed much more logical to me.   They didnt risk their lives, but they still went to the hospital and stayed with her dad and greeted him when he was stable.  What does speeding to the hospital help?

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 05, 2007, 11:03:42 AM

Well, judging from his suspension and the comments from his boss, the people that matter
don't agree with you...

It's spin.

People get their panties in a bunch all the time for crap like this. I refer you to your mirror.

Excessive force??

If that's the case, then I should be swimming in a pool of Tampa taxpayer money.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 05, 2007, 11:42:33 AM

Joe – He was driving HIMSELF, hardly a serious emergency.  Sure I might have been over the speed limit but 63mph in a 35mph zone is pushing it.  Once pulled over I would have gone through the motions and taken the ticket. 

I have been pulled over many times and I am never received a ticket, WHY?  Because I know how to behave and talk nice to Mr. Sheriff. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 05, 2007, 11:45:26 AM

Java, you've got to be kidding me.

Sorry, but if my Mom or Dad or Mother-In-Law/Father-In-Law just had a heart attack, I wouldn't
finish my lunch. How pathetic.

If the person has a 2nd heart attack and winds up dying, then you missed out on seeing them for
the last time. But at least you got to eat lunch!

Yeah, LOL.

You missed the point just like MJS did. This guy drove himself to the hospital. If he didn't make
it to the emergency room, the daughter was going to go out and try to see if he was passed
out somewhere on the side of the road. I thought about and did the same thing when my
ex-wife was extremely late coming home and was not answering her phone. It was
raining hard and the roads were slick. So, just in case, I drove the route that she
drove home to make sure that she didn't wind up in some ditch. It's not like
I did it every time. I did it once because of the circumstances.

And getting to the hospital always gives you a chance of seeing the person at least
one more time. So, yes, I would speed. You never know what's going to happen.
Eating lunch? Finishing the teeth of one more patient? The Australians must be
some cold people. Either that, or you didn't tell me the full story. If the doctors
or hospital told them that their Dad would be fine and they didn't have to rush,
then that's a different story. But that's not what happened in the case we
are discussing. So, your story is irrelevant in this case.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Deputy Uses Excessive Force on Woman Rushing to Hospital to See Heart Attack Dad « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools