Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone else notice that the Bucs have speed demon Justin Gatlin in camp today? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Grudens_Flame

Second String

: May 04, 2007, 03:22:40 PM

He runs a low 4.2 40...does he have a snowballs chance in hell of making to training...SR/JF/HM...anyone?

Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.  - Julius (Remember the Titans)

Neubi

Second String

#1 : May 04, 2007, 03:35:04 PM

Teach him to catch a kick-off and then let him run loose!

Fine, I'll go build my own Bulletin Board! With blackjack and hookers!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 04, 2007, 03:42:36 PM

No chance he makes it.  We already have a punt returner who can't do anything else.  We don't need a kick returner with the same problem.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 04, 2007, 03:43:55 PM

unless he is a difference maker unlike Mark Jones.

RangerBuc

Pro Bowler
#4 : May 04, 2007, 03:52:10 PM

Teach him to catch a kick-off and then let him run loose!

Unfortunately it takes more than raw speed to be a punt or kick returner.  Speed doesn't help you much if you outrun your blockers.  Up-field vision, instincts and the ability to change directions quickly are all more important than raw straight-line speed, and none of them are necessarily associated with sprinters.

Now, if we could get the kick coverage team to start out behind him, then he would make a heck of a returner.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#5 : May 04, 2007, 03:53:53 PM

Might as well give him the chance, He has the thing you can't teach... Unfortunately he will need vision and agility to be effective at all.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 04, 2007, 04:09:00 PM

Justin Gatlin was also a pretty good hurdler at one time and there's been at least some history of guys who were good hurdlers who made it in the NFL.....Rod Woodson, Nolan Cromwell, Ty Wheatley just to name a few. Teddy Ginn was also a hurdler in HS.

That really doesn't mean much if he's also not a Football player.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

#7 : May 04, 2007, 06:18:26 PM

how were we supposed to notice.....don't start thread with unattainable answers

Grudens_Flame

Second String

#8 : May 04, 2007, 07:07:32 PM

how were we supposed to notice.....don't start thread with unattainable answers

Look at the names on the front page, dipstick!

Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.  - Julius (Remember the Titans)

#9 : May 04, 2007, 07:32:44 PM

He runs a low 4.2 40...does he have a snowballs chance in hell of making to training...SR/JF/HM...anyone?
other than having 2 fast legs.....what on earth has he done to deserve a thread....hey he's a red Herring horderve......lets sign the top 10 in the WorldsStrongestmen Competition each year as the Bucs OL&DL linemen....

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#10 : May 04, 2007, 09:00:12 PM

This is an Al Davis type move.......  I love it.  Why not give the kid a try?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 04, 2007, 11:22:43 PM

Like his straight line burn, but what can he do when he has to stop and go?  What if he has to redirect?

He is a longshot, but if Jones is burning up a spot, and doing nothing, it couldn't hurt to give the guy a tryout.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#12 : May 04, 2007, 11:33:35 PM

He'll be a nice camp body to simulate Joey Galloway's speed when Galloway isn't out there.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 05, 2007, 02:15:26 AM

Justin Gatlin was also a pretty good hurdler at one time and there's been at least some history of guys who were good hurdlers who made it in the NFL.....Rod Woodson, Nolan Cromwell, Ty Wheatley just to name a few. Teddy Ginn was also a hurdler in HS.

That really doesn't mean much if he's also not a Football player.

Maybe I'm showing some age here - but when you say "hurdler" + "football" I only see one guy - Ronaldo Nehemiah...anyone remember that name? Never much of an impact but he set a world record in the 110m hurdles...he could FLY.

I noticed Gatlin had a tryout with the Texans in November...tracks guys on the football field NEVER excite me - straightline speed doesn't transfer - and just like Nehemiah, track guys don't like getting hit...I know it's a generalization, but I haven't had anyone challenge this theory of mine.

I wish it were that easy...and I wish him well 'cause he's a panhandle guy, Pensacola Woodham. I just don't put much stock in track guys anymore - they put too much time into running really straight lines/lanes...ellusiveness "escapes" them...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#14 : May 05, 2007, 02:21:33 AM

Can he catch a freaking football??
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone else notice that the Bucs have speed demon Justin Gatlin in camp today? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools