Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Quotes « previous next »
Page: 1

gone

Hall of Famer
: May 04, 2007, 04:57:44 PM

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/05/04/ramblings/week-in-quotes/5127/

Our own:

YOU JUST GET THE FEELING HE GETS UP AT 3 AM IN THE OFFSEASON REAL CRANKY

“Brad Johnson was a ninth-round pick, they don’t even have the ninth round anymore. The draft is for organization, the draft has become one of the big money makers in pro football. It lasted 12 hours, I think, the first round. There’s a commercial, I think next year they’re going to give us an hour to pick in each round. They have an analyst in every locker room. It’s really something.”

–Bucs head coach Jon Gruden

“We were rumored to trade all our draft picks up to take an offensive player and we picked a defensive player in each round. That’s what some of the analysts have to explain today, just like I had to explain why I went 4-12 last year.”

–Gruden

“Ranked 17th is yards. When you measure defenses, number one defense, number four defense, number 30 defense, you are talking yards. That is a disgraceful way, I think, of evaluating how you are doing. You have to knock the other quarterback down. You have to create turnovers, three and outs and establish field position on defense. We were last in the league in sacks, I don’t believe we generated an interception for four, five or six weeks in succession, which is totally uncharacteristic of this defense. Total yardage is a statistic.”

–Gruden

“It’s not really fair to judge your second-day picks or your draft class as rookies. I don’t care if I’m right or wrong, this has just been my opinion over 15-20 years in the NFL — if four or five rookies start for you, you’re not very good.”

–Gruden

“Speed was a priority, it’s always a priority. You can’t coach it. You can’t find a strength coach or a speed coach that can improve speed with these guys that are 22 or 23 years old. Some will say they can and some might do it, those guys I’m sure will send me their resumes tonight.”

–Gruden

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 04, 2007, 05:20:03 PM

he is pissed and why shouldn't he be? This team went 4-12 last season, you know it's killing him.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 05, 2007, 12:00:41 AM

Exactly Keep...

I do expect that it was a very humbling experience, and he has learned a lot through tribulation.

I would have never guess Gruden would have drafted defense defense defense.  It was necesary though.

I think we are still maybe a 10 win team tops right now. 

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#3 : May 05, 2007, 12:26:26 AM

Exactly Keep...

I do expect that it was a very humbling experience, and he has learned a lot through tribulation.

I would have never guess Gruden would have drafted defense defense defense. It was necesary though.

I think we are still maybe a 10 win team tops right now.

#4 : May 05, 2007, 04:01:17 AM

“It’s not really fair to judge your second-day picks or your draft class as rookies. I don’t care if I’m right or wrong, this has just been my opinion over 15-20 years in the NFL — if four or five rookies start for you, you’re not very good.”

–Gruden

That's probably true unless you lose 4-5 starters to FA, injury, retirement etc. and you didn't have much depth behind them.

This may be a stretch, and possibly not a good example for argument sake but take a look at Indy. Without evaluating their depth, look at who they lost:

LB Cato June
RB Dominic Rhodes
CB Nick Harper
CB Jason David
WR Brandon Stokley
S Mike Doss
DT Montae Reagor

Now, does that make them a bad team ? I don't know, we'll see.

Does that mean they will have more rookies starting than usual ? That remains to be seen as well.

But the whole point is if you lose that many key players and have a strong draft, I could see a good team starting more than the usual amount of rookies.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 05, 2007, 04:55:50 AM

Start rookies if you want. If you have collections of them in sensitive areas (d-line of a cover two) your goin to have problems and you aren't going towin.

Start a rookie at QB and you will have trouble - you can do it but history suggests that if you do start a rookie QB, you won't win.

It's easier to plug rookie in on defense than it is on offense

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 05, 2007, 08:10:41 AM

I would be happy with most of the 2nd day picks making the final roster.  It's the draft picks that can't even make the team I consider wasted picks.  Remember, 23% of the NFL went undrafted so these guys need to make the roster.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 05, 2007, 09:28:58 AM

Starting rookies is the bane of HCs - as Buc Buceye said - don't know whom to attribute the quote to, but I believe for each two rookie starters give a team a loss - has been repeated by many. 

Gruden has had to live with so many saying he doesn't care about the D, only the (his offense it the term) offense.  Then when the draft goes almost all D folks have egg on their face.  It is funny to me - he is the HC of the team - and between he and his staff, and Allen and his staff - they have to decide the needs of the team and fill them.  And they do fill them, later than some would like.  We will see how the draft turns out - and how those who have been so critical of the HC/Staff and FO/Staff react. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

MBF

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 05, 2007, 09:58:11 AM

So you'd start a veteran player, who might not be as good as a rook, ahead of him? Screw experience IMO, talent wins games...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 05, 2007, 10:15:05 AM

Even talented players have to know the scheme and how to work within it in order to be productive.  Upper echelon picks can make the jump but even then there is a downside bc frequently they are thinking as they play as the schemes are not second nature.  With more time in the league most if not all get better at it assuming they meet the prerequisite talent level you refer to with so much vigor.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

gone

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 05, 2007, 01:39:19 PM

It's a tough call.  Rooks don't get better without playing, sooner or later they need to be on the field.   So by not playing them you delay their development.  But by playing them you are - initially at least - fielding an inferior product.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 05, 2007, 08:56:15 PM

I was referencing starting rookies, which would mean they play most of the time.  Working them in a little at a time is a preferred method for many I would suspect. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 05, 2007, 09:18:02 PM

You don't want to start rookies if you can avoid it. You want to develop players who are ready to take over when the long-time veteran player leaves.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#13 : May 05, 2007, 09:31:51 PM

So you'd start a veteran player, who might not be as good as a rook, ahead of him? Screw experience IMO, talent wins games...

...in college

Besides, the suggestion still stands under your question: If your veterans are being beat out by rookies fresh out of college, you're still a bad team for having starters who are that poor.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 05, 2007, 11:05:21 PM

I agree the prefered method is to work in rooks on a rotation...everybody but a QB because there is so much going on he has to carry the clip board for a year.

Yes - take vets as a starter, but not just any vet. A commone problem with rookies in the cover two would be staying with your gap, trying to do too much..etc.

Incomparable sig by Incognito
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Quotes « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools