Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft take « previous next »
Page: 1

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

: May 05, 2007, 01:11:42 PM

The dust has settled.  We've all had time to review these picks and read up on these guys.  My take

1: Adams:  Obviously I’m thrilled. Anyone that's read my posts over the past few months knows I'm a big Adams fan.   Best pass rusher in the draft and he fills arguably our biggest need.  The reality is, CJ would have been a target of opportunity. If he fell to us, then we would have lucked out and we would have pounced on him.  But you don’t break the bank to trade up for a player who doesn’t fit one of your primary needs.  We stayed put at #4 and got the draft’s best DL.  Nice pick. 

2A: Sears:  I was hoping for Branch as he dropped like a stone.  He would have been great value in the 2nd.  I really wasn’t sure what we were going to do at 2A because guys like Harrell, Griffin and Merriwether went a little earlier than I thought.  The way PR gushed over Beekman and Kalil I was mildly surprised we chose Sears.   Still, I don’t have a problem with the pick given who was available.  Sears is a productive and experienced SEC player who we can plug in immediately at LG.  Looks like Buenning’s knee injury isn’t heeling too well.  Decent pick.

2B: Piscatelli:  John Howell, David Gibson, Than Merrill and here we go again in our annual search for the next John Lynch.  The comparisons are already rampant.  Admittedly, we needed safety help and it seems like he has good ball skills: 15 ints in college.  I also like the fact that he seems to have some leadership capabilities.  Still, it bothers me that he’s a tweener that some teams projected as more of a LB.  Does he have the range and agility to play safety in the pros? Is he a workout warrior? I also don’t like that all the reviews about him critique his tackling ability.   I would have gone with Cal’s Daymeon Hughes here.

3: Quincy Black:    I like the player but not on day 1.  He seems like more of a workout warrior/project type player who would have been a better mid round option with some upside.  No doubt he’s ultra athletic and he has good ball skills for a LB, but he’s a juco guy and seems a little raw to spend a day 1 pick on. Intriguing athleticism though and he another guy with strong character and leadership abilities. I would have felt better drafting Tanard Jackson here and Black in the 4th but in the end we got both of them so I suppose its nitpicky to complain.  Decent pick.

4: Tanard Jackson:  I was hoping to take a flyer on Marcus Thomas here but in the end I guess we just weren’t willing to take the risk due to Thomas' character.  But Jackson is a nice value pick here.  Late day one prospect who fell to the 4th.  Going into day 2 he was on everyone's list as one of the best available players.  Similar to Zemaitis in that he doesn’t have top speed but he is a physical player who plays his spot in the zone well and can support the run too.  We are projecting him to possibly play safety.  I'm not sure I agree.  Does he have the range or agility to be a pro safety?  Just because he practiced at that spot at the Senior Bowl doesn’t mean we should make him switch positions.  At Cuse he was a productive three year starter at CB.  I’d like to leave him there but we are said to project him as another Dwight Smith type and like Dwight I fear we may cross train him at CB and safety.  I’m not a fan of cross training guys, especially young guys.  If we are dead set on making a safety out of him then let him focus on that position. 

5:Greg Peterson:  Yikes!  Looks like our scouting dept is getting too cute trying to dig for a diamond in the rough.   Here we go again with another tweener in the Julian Jenkins mold.  Not just a tweener, but a tweener from a tiny school.  If we were honing in on a DT here, why would we pass on proven DTs from big schools like Keith Jackson, Antonio Johnson or Jeremy Clark?  Or how about a WR? Allison and Stuckey were available.  Or Steve Breaston could have been the return man we were looking for.  Like Larry Brackins in the 5th a couple years back, this guy is a huge project.

6: Adam Hayward: Whiff.  A DII LB??? I don’t care how fast he runs.  Where is this guy going to play with Brooks/Winborn/June/Nece/Ruud/Black locks to make the team?  I know that 5th and 6th rd picks all have holes in their game and their odds of making the team aren’t so good but that doesn’t mean we should throw picks away.  We have really crapped the bed on day 2 in recent years and that is where the successful teams find quality reserve players, ST aces and once in a blue moon starters.  I’m not sure what we were thinking with these last two picks. Hell, Hayward bounced around from position to position in his college career.  Another very raw player.  At least Keith Jackson would have filled a need and he is SEC tested.

7: Chris Denman:  Solid, seems like he could have a future as a reserve RT.  According to the write-ups he has a nasty demeanor and he is a good run blocker.  He may make the squad out of necessity since we have nothing behind Luke and Trueblood besides Davis. 

7:Marcus Hamilton: Hard to get excited about 7th rd guys but at least he was productive in a big conference (15 ints at Virginia). The write-ups on him say he lacks deep speed and he needs to be in a Cover 2 to succeed.  So in theory he’s a good fit.  Probably camp meat though.

7: Kenneth Darby: Not bad, although I prefer Darius Walker, who is quicker and more elusive.  But Darby was productive (two 1,000 yard rushing seasons in the SEC) and has decent receiving skills out of the backfield. It bothers me that he had a down year as a senior though.  Is he really an upgrade over Earnest Graham as the #3 RB? 

Overall, besides Jackson I doubt any of these day 2 guys make the team. Again, maybe Denman due to our lack of OT depth. The rest are PS candidates at best.  It’s disappointing that we don’t draft well on day 2 at all.  I’m also disappointed we didn’t draft an UT.   However, this was a weak DT draft class.  I like Harrell and Mebane but they both went earlier than I thought.  Trading for Sims post draft was a nice move though.  Hopefully another Hovan type reclamation project.  With his 1st rd measurables from the 2002 draft and his experience in the league he is better right now that almost any DT we could have drafted.

I really like Adams and I think Sears, Black and Jackson were solid picks too.  Gotta love the defense heavy draft.  But Peterson & Hayward are real head scratchers. I also think that due to the Lynch comparisons Piscatelli is overated and he is already getting too much hype on the message boards.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 05, 2007, 01:18:17 PM

*Buenning is moving to center.

*Piscitelli is a lot more agile and faster than you think.

*Jackson impressed at the senior bowl at safety.

*Nece/Winborn/Cash/Mallard are not locks to make the team.

Overall that is a pretty good summary. 

#2 : May 05, 2007, 01:26:47 PM

Since when does small school hunting = trying to be cute?

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 05, 2007, 01:31:08 PM

i just think we were straining too hard to find a hidden gem.  seriously, was peterson on anyone's radar?  how many heard of him before last weekend?  seems like a guy we could have had in the 7th or as an UFA. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 05, 2007, 01:32:29 PM

Well some scouts did consider Peterson a hidden gem.  We shall see what he can do.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#5 : May 05, 2007, 01:37:53 PM

Great take. Here are my opinions on our draft:

Overall I feel that the Bucs were not looking for too many starters in this draft. The day two selections all feel like depth/project players to me. They all seem to have the common trait of Athleticism and raw skills. The Bucs must feel confident that with coaching everything else will fall into place. I have no problem with them trying to shorten the transitional phase on defense. Time will tell if they nailed these picks.

1)Gaines Adams: Adams was my third choice behind Thomas and Johnson. I knew the Bucs had to have a shot at at least one of them on draft day and the only worry I had was that we would sell the farm to move up for Johnson. To my releif the trade never materialized and we got a great player. Adams was the right pick for so many reasons. The position he plays, the premium of DE in free agency, and the need on our defese for him all coincided to make this pick a no brainer.

2) Aaron Sears: I think people either love or hate this pick. I have no preference and here is why: The evauation on wheather Sears was the right pick over Kalil hinges on how well Buenning makes the leap to center. The Bucs must have tremendous confidence in Buenning that they would feel they need a replacement Guard instead of a center. I don't want to make a harsh judgement on the pick until I see what the Bucs are going to do.

2b) Sabby Piscatelli: I do like this pick. This guy has the feel of a solid safety prospect. The tackling issue is a concern but that is something I feel is teachable with coaching.

The other picks are basically what I mentioned above. Athletic projects. I do like Denman and Darby to make the cut though.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 05, 2007, 01:41:06 PM

*Buenning is moving to center.

*Piscitelli is a lot more agile and faster than you think.

*Jackson impressed at the senior bowl at safety.

*Nece/Winborn/Cash/Mallard are not locks to make the team.

Overall that is a pretty good summary.
yup

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

Badabingnrt

Starter

#7 : May 05, 2007, 01:44:25 PM

1st Round- DE Gaines Adams- GRADE A

*I know many of us wanted Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas, but having Gaines Adams fall to us was a blessing in disguise.  We have youth at WR and OL, but the one thing we were lacking bad in the youth department was defensive end.  Gaines Adams is considered by many the best defensive football player in the draft and I look forward to the outside pash rush having Adams and Rice at the Ends.

2nd Round- OG Arron Sears- GRADE A

*As you can tell, I loved the first 2 picks of the draft.  Sears was considered by many a first round prospect and I love the kid's toughness that he brings to the line.  I also like this move almost completing the youthment of the line with T Jeremy Trueblood, Gs Davin Joseph and Sears, and the move of Dan Buenning to Center.  This just leaves LT open and we have a fine solid veteran there in Luke Pettigout.

2nd Round- S Sabby Piscitelli- GRADE A-

*I didn't know much about him comig in to the draft, but a friend of mine who was an Eagle Fan was really high on the kid.  He was cussin me when the Bucs drafted him, but either way we needed safety help and we got it with this guy.  Maybe he can be our next John Lynch.  However, let's not get ahead of oursevles.  It may have been a little reach on him, however, New Orleans went defensive back 2 picks later.

3rd Round- LB Quincy Black- GRADE B

*I was a little suprised when we added him.  He's another guy I didn't know too much on, but when you hear comparisons to Urlacher, you have to like the kid.  I was really high on DT Tank Tyler, DE Charles Johnson, and even LB Buster Davis; but Quincy Black if he pans out, can be a cornerstone on the Defense.  I also give it a lower grade due to the "Marquis Cooper" affect.

4th Round- DB Tenard Jackson- GRADE B+

*I think it was a steal to get this guy that many projected to go in the 2nd in the 4th round.  Ofcourse many of us wanted DT Marcus Thomas, but Tenard Jackson can be a starter for us for years to come.

5th Round- DT Greg Peterson-GRADE C+
*The 5th round is where you start to see the talent drop, but I don't know much about this guy.  Many say we can turn into a great player for us, but haven't we heard the same of other 5th round selections like Anthony Bryant and Larry Brackins.  I hope he turns out and I can see him making the team if he proves himself.  Very crowded at DT, however, with Hovan, Carter, Sims, and Wyms.  

6th Round- LB Adam Hayward- GRADE B
*This was an excellent pick for the Bucs in the 6th round.  I question as to how Hayward fell this far and also have to question if he makes the team.  You may say how do you give them a B for this pick when he may not even make the team?  Simple.  6th and 7th rounders rarely make a team.(waiting for somebody to compare Hayward to Tom Brady)  Many see him as a possible starter in this league and I hope the Bucs can keep him around.  I see Brooks, June, Ruud, Nece, Black, and Chuckwurth making the team at LB.  I can see Hayward beating out Winborn, Cash, and Mallard however, will the Bucs keep 7 LBs?  Put it this way, they will find a way to put Hayward on the team if he really impresses.

7th Round-I know everybody is high on 7th round picks, but the fact of the matter is....they most likely wont make the team.  I think Darby has the best chance, but I still see the veteran Graham beating him out.

Overall Grade: A-
*They addressed the defense and added 3 possible starters coming right off the bat in Adams, Sears, and Piscitelli.  Tenard Jackson and Quincy Black are talented enough to start maybe in 2008.  So adding 5 starters, 4 to the defense is really special.  They also added potential steals in Peterson and Hayward, but let's see if they make the team before penciling them in as starters in the future..

#8 : May 05, 2007, 01:45:40 PM

i just think we were straining too hard to find a hidden gem.  seriously, was peterson on anyone's radar?  how many heard of him before last weekend?  seems like a guy we could have had in the 7th or as an UFA.  
I think that's unfair to compare a message board of fans to that of NFL scouts, just because we hadn't heard of Greg Peterson doesn't mean he wasn't a hot commodity within the scouting world.

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 05, 2007, 01:49:30 PM

I don't get the Darby love here.  I think the guy's got a shot at eventually playing, but I'd bet both of BucLord's nuts that he's going to the PS.  He may make the roster eventually, but not this year unless there's a major injury epidemic in our backfield.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 05, 2007, 01:54:16 PM

I am not entirely convinced but for some reason scouts are high on Peterson. ???

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/04/20/pauline/index.html?eref=si_nfl

The Darby love stems from the fact that Mr. August fails to show up after the month of August.  8)

#11 : May 05, 2007, 01:54:43 PM

I don't get the Darby love here. I think the guy's got a shot at eventually playing, but I'd bet both of BucLord's nuts that he's going to the PS. He may make the roster eventually, but not this year unless there's a major injury epidemic in our backfield.
What about all the UDFAs? They seem to get more love than our 5th-7th round picks on a yearly basis.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 05, 2007, 04:50:20 PM

i just think we were straining too hard to find a hidden gem.  seriously, was peterson on anyone's radar?  how many heard of him before last weekend?  seems like a guy we could have had in the 7th or as an UFA. 
I think that's unfair to compare a message board of fans to that of NFL scouts, just because we hadn't heard of Greg Peterson doesn't mean he wasn't a hot commodity within the scouting world.

i dont mean the message boards.  we all read espn, nfl.com, nfldraftcountdown, scouts inc, kiper, and a plethora of other draft sites, magazines and services.  Its hard to find Peterson anywhere on those.  Hey listen, I hope he is a big time sleeper and sets the world on fire but I'm not holding my breath. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 05, 2007, 09:00:39 PM

Good takes. That's pretty much how I felt ob draft day but I've warmed up to the new players more since then. My one remaining complaint is I really felt we should have gotten Charles Johnson or another day one defensive end.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft take « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools