Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad news for Urban « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

Runole

Hall of Famer
#60 : April 30, 2007, 11:32:01 AM

This was a text message just intercepted from Urban!! :o :o :D ;D ;)

Urban & Deonte: Love in Texts

By Andrew Abramson | Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:33 AM

Brace yourselves, folks, because I was able to intercept one day of text messages’ from Urban Meyer to Deonte Thompson, sent in January. Thanks to the NCAA’s decision to ban text messaging between coaches and players, Deonte was part of the lost crop of recruits to text with his suitors. It wasn’t pretty.

4:47 a.m.: Deonte, not sure if yur up yet, but it’s really nice to stare at the sky just b4 sunrise. Can’t wait to hear from u later.

5:39 a.m.: Great sunrise. You’ll luv the way the sun shines on the Swamp after u score a game-winning TD.

7:02 a.m.: Just taking the championship trophy out for a jog. Holler.

8:22 a.m.: Hry, I googled the name Deonte and it says “Deonte is a very rare male first name.” Very fitting for a rare, natural athlete with your immense talent.

9:12 a.m.: Good luck in Spanish class. Azul y anaranjado.

10:31 a.m.: Yo Rainey, got a woman here in Gville has some free clothes and jewelry for u.

10:33 a.m.: Sorry Deonte, sent the wrong message. U my boy.

12:01 p.m.: Foley says we can refer to the Swamp as the Muck every Tuesday in odd months. I’m looking out for ya bud.

1:44 p.m.: I dug up your old middle yearbook. That was a great 7th grade portrait, you have a superb smile.

3:11 p.m.: How was school? Been thinking about you. Lata.

4:44 p.m.: Just had a debate with coach Gonzales over best receiver other than Rice. He said Lynn Swann. I said Deonte Thompson - who’ll stop him in my spread offense?

5:42 p.m.: Stopping at the drive thru at Taco Bell, thought I’d catch u in between the money window and the food pickup. I bet you’re a fire sauce kinda guy.

7:05 p.m.: Hey, it’s me, just wanted to let u know that you’re a special guy.

8:12 p.m.: How’s the HW going? Text me back if you need any help.

9:31 p.m.: Just got out of the shower. I stood there for so long imagining you exploding in our offense, that the water went cold. Had to go next door to Billy’s and wash off the soap. We swapped championship rings - you ever seen one of those things? They’re huge and shiny and there’s a lot of them going around at UF.

10:42 p.m.: G’Night Deonte, sorry if I didn’t text you enough, it’s just been a really long day. Text me if you have any nightmares about Bowden and his prehistoric offense - heard he roamed with the dinosaurs. And get this (I’m soooo serious!): Bobby B doesn’t know how to send text messages.

OK, so maybe I didn’t receive the exact transcript word for word. But this should give you a glimpse into the ridiculous world of texting between coaches and high school recruits, a world that won’t exist much longer. We’ll all be better for it.

Wish I could claim this, but It certainly is FUNNNNY!!

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#61 : May 11, 2007, 12:23:40 AM

OK, so maybe I didn’t receive the exact transcript word for word. But this should give you a glimpse into the ridiculous world of texting between coaches and high school recruits, a world that won’t exist much longer. We’ll all be better for it.

Dag-gummit and just when Jeffy was going to teach me how to text.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#62 : May 13, 2007, 12:35:30 PM

Yeah, I like a man who meets face to face and denies a transfer for a guy whose mom has health problems to a school who is not a rival or in the same conference.  Yeah, what a great man this Bobby Bowden is!

Hmmm?  Suggest you read the NCAA rules on this.  Bowden would have been breaking NCAA rules had he allowed Warren to transfer after already being enrolled and taking classes for the second semester.   The only one to blame for Warren not being granted a release is Warren and those involved in giving him bum advice.  His mother has already stated publicly that she is no longer sick.  According to you she is lying?  Hmmm?

The skinny IMO   Warren was advised by UT recruit Sykes to leave FSU along with his girlfriend.  While UT "tampering" could be inferred since Sykes was not enrolled at UT ( No Violation!)   There was an academic counsel that also unanimously agreed that Warren's reasons for leaving were not legitimate and denied his release.

The NCAA rules are quite clear on this and Bowden has frequently released any player from scholarship for health or any other legitimate reason. Apparently at this point in time there is no legitimate reason for granting a release.   

It appears Warren is in the process of enrolling at Pellissippi State Technical Community College to attempt to get his grades high enough to become academically eligible.  Depending on the academic standards of Pellissippi this could be hard or relatively painless. Those F grades must be brought up. At that point he will be free to enroll at Tennessee and have 2 years of eligibility remaining starting in 2008 per NCAA guidelines.

Now Warren can try to play the "hardship" clause to the NCAA on appeal but IMO I doubt the NCAA will reverse what has been a textbook following of their rules. Again JMO but I think the best course of action for Brandon is to get his grades up and move on.  Hope he succeeds because his decisions have put him in a bind.

Text Messaging is so intrusive that so many recruits chose UF over FSU!  It's kind of funny that most of the coaches in various sports who utilize text messaging rank at the top of recruiting charts with it being so intrusive and all........

I would suggest that if text messaging is the key to successful recruiting than you have explained well why the NCAA has banned it starting in Aug 2007. It would appear you and the NCAA are on exactly the same page in that they believe that text messaging is a loophole in permissable contact to recruits that needed to be closed and gave an unfair advantage to those extensively using it.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#63 : May 12, 2007, 05:14:27 PM

"OK, so maybe I didn’t receive the exact transcript word for word. But this should give you a glimpse into the ridiculous world of texting between coaches and high school recruits, a world that won’t exist much longer. We’ll all be better for it."

Sorry Bub but that ain't my quote!

My only quote:  "Wish I could claim this, but It certainly is FUNNNNY!!"      JMHO but the guys sense of humor is far more clever than your hackneyed attempt at being funny.

Personally, I like a man that meets you face to face rather than hiring a bunch of college kids ( pretending to be the head coach)  hounding kids by text messaging them everyday.

The NCAA obviously saw the error in this most intrusive loophole in the contact of recruits.

#64 : May 12, 2007, 09:46:39 PM

Yeah, I like a man who meets face to face and denies a transfer for a guy whose mom has health problems to a school who is not a rival or in the same conference.  Yeah, what a great man this Bobby Bowden is!

Text Messaging is so intrusive that so many recruits chose UF over FSU!  It's kind of funny that most of the coaches in various sports who utilize text messaging rank at the top of recruiting charts with it being so intrusive and all........

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#65 : May 13, 2007, 10:50:44 AM

Geez, I could have sworn Ether said Jackson wasn't Ray...hmm?
I didn't post that.

Am I the only gator fan in the world?  LOL.  I have been done with this topic for about 2 weeks now.

Get over yourself Karen.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#66 : May 13, 2007, 08:09:47 AM

#67 : May 13, 2007, 08:11:13 PM

It wasn't Ray.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#68 : May 14, 2007, 05:59:38 AM

It wasn't Ray.
Of course it wasn't. This sounds just exactly like the 12-yr old he claimed to be.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#69 : May 14, 2007, 05:44:45 PM

It wasn't Ray.
Of course it wasn't. This sounds just exactly like the 12-yr old he claimed to be.

Get a life.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad news for Urban « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools