Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: here we go again....gas prices « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#15 : May 09, 2007, 02:08:19 AM

You think?!  But they are not operating at full capacity. That war thing, you know...

bucboy 64

Second String

#16 : May 09, 2007, 07:29:03 AM

Yes Karen the evil republicans are sticking it to you :o

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 09, 2007, 08:58:18 AM

What is stunning is that the two articles from CNN I posted - yes CNN that right-wing tool of the oil industry- explained in non-stupid tin foil hat language why gas prices rise and people still can't seem to grasp the concept. It is not a case of not being aware of factors but simply trying to ignore them to live in a fantasy world of blaming "big oil".

Milk was $1.60 in 1980, the average price per gallon in 2006 was $3.10.

Gasoline was $1.35 in 1980 and is now $3.04

Gasoline has gotten marginally more expensive than milk over the past 26 years but milk:

a. is subsidized
b. can expand production (people don't freak about adding more cows like they do refineries)
c. hasn't seen a massive explosion of demand like gasoline has

So again, this is sticking it to us?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 09, 2007, 09:11:05 AM

http://costofwar.com/index.html

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 09, 2007, 11:17:46 AM

Sticking it to us or not it hurts!  I drive a Toyota Solara and it takes over $40 to fill my tank.  I'm getting 23 to 27 on occaision, in gas mileage, but I'm tired of this crap!!!!

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

samsdad

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 10, 2007, 10:37:06 PM

. It is not a case of not being aware of factors but simply trying to ignore them to live in a fantasy world of blaming "big oil".

Milk was $1.60 in 1980, the average price per gallon in 2006 was $3.10.

Gasoline was $1.35 in 1980 and is now $3.04

Gasoline has gotten marginally more expensive than milk over the past 26 years but milk:

a. is subsidized
b. can expand production (people don't freak about adding more cows like they do refineries)
c. hasn't seen a massive explosion of demand like gasoline has

So again, this is sticking it to us? 

To answer your points:How can you say "big oil" isnt making an absolute KILLING 9.3 billion for one company in ONE QUARTER of the year. THAT is stunning to me.

Your comparison to milk while interesting has a couple flaws....MILK is renewable...Number of farmers has gone down and the increased fuel costs lead to higher prices for goods....yes inluding milk.

A)True milk is subsidized...what you fail to mention is so is oil. How many billions do they get in tax breaks? OPPS
b)How about we run the ones we have  a bit higher capacity before we add new ones...currently running at around 59% according to oil and gas forums.
c) im pretty sure demand for milk probably has gone up. We do have more people in the world today than in 1980 dont we? So what are you basing that on?

I await your responce

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 10, 2007, 11:01:26 PM

A)True milk is subsidized...what you fail to mention is so is oil. How many billions do they get in tax breaks? OPPS
b)How about we run the ones we have  a bit higher capacity before we add new ones...currently running at around 59% according to oil and gas forums.
c) im pretty sure demand for milk probably has gone up. We do have more people in the world today than in 1980 dont we? So what are you basing that on?

a. Oil is subsidized but also taxed. In 1980 the Fed Gas tax was $0.04. Now it is $.18 most state taxes rose similarly. What was in 1980 about $.10-$.12 worth of fed/state/local taxes is now on average $0.46 in taxes. In other words, 10% > of the total price of gas is tax hikes in the last 30 years. Gas was $.25 cheaper than milk in 1980 and is now $.06 cheaper than milk. In other words, all of the increase on your cost of gasoline is eaten up by the tax hikes over the last 30 years. In relative terms, without the tax rate going up gasoline would be even cheaper vis a vis milk. Look out for Big Milk :)

b. Capacity is at 89% now (http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/07/news/economy/refinery_capacity.reut/index.htm) from May 7 of this year.

c. Milk demand has risen with population  but for most of that you are dealing with LDC's where milk is locally produced (as in not on the global market) and in many countries milk isn't consumed frequently by adults so it is primarily for children who have a much more local source for their needs. There are changes in that pattern with urban populations but the basic trend seems to hold out.   See http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5661E/x5661e0n.htm that deals with a sample of the growth in local production. 

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

samsdad

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 11, 2007, 08:55:54 PM

ok...ill give you C...you earned that one

B im not sold on....no way its that high...Ill double check my sources though on it

A) but you can choose not to drink milk...they have purposely kept alternatives down....electric cars....etc....
Look we will never agree on this...but really the profits that they take....doesnt that irritate you even a little bit?
Or do you own stock in "big Oil"?

#23 : May 11, 2007, 09:09:23 PM

I drive a company vehicle and use their gas card to fill up about twice a week, so I haven't really noticed all the price changes just yet.  :-

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 11, 2007, 11:41:56 PM

The problem with the gas prices is not so much based on crude. We have TONS of crude. Hell we have more oil in the gulf of Mexico than all the mid-east. And we also have crude stockpiled. Crude really is not the problem. It is refining capabilities that is the problem.
The last refinery built in the United States was in 1976. In 1976 there were 254 refineries in operation. Today, only 142 are still up and running. So our refining capability has been decreasing while our demand has been increasing. Not only this, but our limited capability has been limited further due to hurricanes and other weather phenomena. The basic economic rules of supply and demand say that the result is an increase in prices.

Why not build more refineries? 2 reasons:
1. Environmentalists have a theory that by making it difficult to build refineries, it will eventually drive fuel prices so high that it will end the era of the combustion engine because people and businesses will no longer be able to afford to buy the gas.
2. Gas companies like the increase in prices since it increases their profits.

So you got liberals on one side screaming about the environment. You got conservatives on the other side crying for capitalism. And the average American is being squeezed.

Just like with illegal aliens.... The liberals want cheap votes, and the conservatives want cheap labor. And the average America loses their job.

This is what this country is coming down to...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 11, 2007, 11:45:25 PM

I drive a company vehicle and use their gas card to fill up about twice a week, so I haven't really noticed all the price changes just yet. :-

You are officially my least favorite poster now.   :P

Oh the joys of a company gas card.  ;D  I worked for a large truck rental company for a few months, and they had gas pumps we could use for free......happy days.

#26 : May 12, 2007, 12:35:57 AM

I know, my boss has joked with us saying that if gas prices continue to rise so much to consider that our monthly bonus from now on(at least I hope he was joking).

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 12, 2007, 11:02:29 AM

B im not sold on....no way its that high...Ill double check my sources though on it
A) but you can choose not to drink milk...they have purposely kept alternatives down....electric cars....etc....

Look we will never agree on this...but really the profits that they take....doesnt that irritate you even a little bit?
Or do you own stock in "big Oil"?

B. I'll put CNN up against anyone anyday so let me know where you find differing figures.

A.  There's no proof of that other than a movie for Joe and that's not proof. If they were "keeping us down" why'd they let hybrids on the market - they're ok with getting screwed a little bit?  Why are they selling E85 by me?

The big profits they get don't worry me anymore than the little profits they got in the late 90's worried me.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 12, 2007, 12:23:10 PM

remember on the 15th no one pump gas

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

samsdad

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 13, 2007, 05:53:56 PM

dalbuc...i havent had time to go diggin again but i will.

as far as why hybrids are "allowed" on the market is that they still run on gas.....they still dont get huge MPG ....so they dont care.
E85.....while the idea is good I think they are betting on us saying...hey im doing my part im using E85...which is still $$ in the their pockets....
I mean really..when was the last time they didnt have record or damn near record profits every quarter.

FRESH...
that 15th thing while the general idea is good....there is a HUGE flaw....the people that dont fill up on the 15th....will fill up on the 14th...or the 16th...so what they loose one day they more than make up the next.

You really want to send a message......organize and have no one buy gas for a WEEK.

That would possibly be a BLIP on their radar.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: here we go again....gas prices « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools