Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offensive Line Thoughts... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
: October 30, 2006, 10:02:47 AM

It seems as though we read too much into them as always being the problem.  Let's face it, they aren't even close to being above average, but I will give them average.  With that said, haven't we, like most other NFL teams, always faced 7 & 8 man fronts several times during the season?  The asnwer of course is yes!  We should the Giants that many times yesterday, yet they continued to run the ball; bunch of idiots them G-men. 
We haven't had a O-line to cheer about ever in my opinion.  When Dungy was here, we still had a cheesy O-line, our QB got sacked all the time, but we still managed to run the ball a lot more, and we seemed to win a lot more(thanks to a great defense!)  Our defense is hit or miss, no pun intended, this season at best.  But the truth of the matter is this: when you abandon the run, for whatever reason, you simply end up on the losing  end more times than not. 
Let's once and for all quit blaming the O-line for the problems yesterday.  Caddy broke one for 16 yards, and he could have broke many more if we would have stuck to the run.  Truth is, Gruden probably wants to trade him since he doesn't fit the Oakland mold of offense.  Well I got news for him, we ain't in Oakland no more baby.  Get busy winning, or get busy packing, it really doesn't matter to me.  I will be a Bucs fan long after he is gone bye bye.  Truth is, he doesn't come in to Tampa and win a Superbowl with one of the greatest defenses in the history of the NFL, he would have already been toast.  And think about what we paid to get him!!  Look at it another way.  You buy a Ferrari, you paid WAY more for it to perform WAY better.  The first year it runs great, then the next four years it leaves you stranded on the highway, except that one year you had free highway insurance.  THE GUY WILL NOT CHANGE, SO IT SEEMS WE MUST!  Illuminator, please by all means shed some light on the subject!  Aw, go ahead too ICIT, it wouldn't be a post without you and others calling me a troll or some other name for telling the truth. :o 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 30, 2006, 10:29:19 AM

Trueblood - Has two miscues.  At the beggining of the game he let Strahan make an inside move to generate instant pressure against Grads.  Another play Strahan penetrated deep into the backfield and as a result tipped Grad's pass.

Joseph - Had a solid game and showed the ability to block in space.

Wade - Nothing special but there were some breakdowns beucase a player next to him was beat like a drum.

Mahan - In the running game and passing game he was a huge liability.  Most of the pressure came up the middle becuase of Mahan.  When he pulled to block in space which should be his strength he was a non factor.

AD - On that sack against Kiwi AD lost his footing as well as Grads on that play which resulted in a sack.  Other than that he played okay.  Wade's play as well as AD's play were effected by Mahan's poor play and could not cover up for Mahan's mistakes while also have to worry about their own task at hand. 

The Bucs had no answer to protecting Grads when the Giants sent the blitz.  Finally Gruden decided to open it up a bit in the second quarter and attack a bit.  Still a running attack should have been used in the rest of the game.  I think the Bucs should have used a lot more draw plays becuase things started to open up once the Bucs started to move the ball through the air.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#2 : October 30, 2006, 10:29:57 AM

Strahan was everywhere yesterday....

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 30, 2006, 10:32:09 AM

Mahan - In the running game and passing game he was a huge liability. Most of the pressure came up the middle becuase of Mahan. When he pulled to block in space which should be his strength he was a non factor.

If Buenning and Terry are hurt and/or in the doghouse, I wouldn't mind seeing Cornell Green getting some practice reps at LG.  There has to be a better answer than Mahan.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 30, 2006, 10:36:36 AM

He had some pressure, but I thought for a rookie, True did ok...at least he was competitive and didn't get embarrassed.  I thought his game was decent considering who he was playing and he still has more than a little upside...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#5 : October 30, 2006, 10:39:56 AM

He had some pressure, but I thought for a rookie, True did ok...at least he was competitive and didn't get embarrassed.  I thought his game was decent considering who he was playing and he still has more than a little upside...

True did do a good job yesterday, but Strahan had his name called many times yesterday for being in the play stoppage or tackle or batted pass, he was a monster yesterday...

Grads did only gets sacked twice which was good against that DL, again no turnovers on offense, but we have to move the ball to have a chance to score....

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 30, 2006, 10:42:40 AM

He had some pressure, but I thought for a rookie, True did ok...at least he was competitive and didn't get embarrassed. I thought his game was decent considering who he was playing and he still has more than a little upside...

True did do a good job yesterday, but Strahan had his name called many times yesterday for being in the play stoppage or tackle or batted pass, he was a monster yesterday...

Grads did only gets sacked twice which was good against that DL, again no turnovers on offense, but we have to move the ball to have a chance to score....

Quite honestly, I didn't see him as a monster.  He made a couple of plays and had some pressure at times, but for a rook, I thought True did a better job of blocking him than Strahan did of exploiting the rookie.  Being the "sackmaster" he is you'd have thought he'd have been all over Grads all day, but it was the interior guys having a field day not the outside guys.

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#7 : October 30, 2006, 10:45:32 AM

He had some pressure, but I thought for a rookie, True did ok...at least he was competitive and didn't get embarrassed. I thought his game was decent considering who he was playing and he still has more than a little upside...

Quite honestly, I didn't see him as a monster.  He made a couple of plays and had some pressure at times, but for a rook, I thought True did a better job of blocking him than Strahan did of exploiting the rookie.  Being the "sackmaster" he is you'd have thought he'd have been all over Grads all day, but it was the interior guys having a field day not the outside guys.

i guess from my perspective i saw it differently, the first half he did put more pressure then the second half, but he was a force to be reckoned with

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 30, 2006, 10:47:03 AM

I'm going to take another look today...we'll see...I've been wrong before...

#9 : October 30, 2006, 11:06:13 AM

The OL is horrible, and unlike the Giants we couldnt run the ball past the LOS. We were lucky to get it back to the LOS. The Giants constantly got 2-3 yards with the occasional 5-6 yards mixed in. The BUcs OL loses the battle at the LOS 4/5 times.

It is a sad thing that you will be a Bucs fan for a long time. Gruden wants to trade Caddy? Yea sure.

O and this OL is not average. They are easily bottom 3 in the NFL. I only wish you could have 1 game to call plays. Id love to see your strategy. Run the ball 35 times, and be stuck in 3rd and 8+ all day. Then watch our QB have less time than any otehr QB in teh NFL to let his WRs get down into their routes and read a defense.

Fact is, maybe Caddy shouldve had 5-10 more carries, but no matter what plays Gruden called this offense is not going to succeed.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 30, 2006, 11:12:33 AM

Ronde Bear I think you are overrreacting bottom three?  They surrendered two sacks.  One of them came on a Gradkowski scramble and the other one came when AD slipped and Gradkowski slipped and Kiwi made the play.

The run blocking on the right side was not great nor poor in the Giants game.  The left side was horrible becuse Mahan was being blown up.  Like I said before if Buenning starts that left side improves dramatically.  Just like how the right side dramatically improved when Mahan no longer plays on the right side.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 30, 2006, 11:18:09 AM

The run blocking on the right side was not great nor poor in the Giants game.  The left side was horrible becuse Mahan was being blown up.  Like I said before if Buenning starts that left side improves dramatically.  Just like how the right side dramatically improved when Mahan no longer plays on the right side.

Both statements are wrong.

First, the left side was awful before Mahan got over there. Our left side has been bottom 3 o 4 all year and that is not counting the Mahan factor.

Second, the right side has been top 10 most of the year and has actually gotten worse since True and Joseph took over.

Now, the right side figures are all mirages because we don't run right so the sampling is very small but even on the small sample things are now worse over there.

Buenning comes into last weeks game and the Bucs are able to move the ball on the ground on the left side.  Until Buenning is given a chance to play some games the Mahan factor can not be overlooked.

As for Joseph and True the resurgence of Carnell is becuase of those two. 

Mahan has been the weakest link where ever he lines up and he effects the players around him signficantly.

Edit:  Mahan's bread and butter was his ability to pull and block in space.  But since he has been horrible even doing that the right side and left side of the o-line looks poor statistically.  In the end Mahan IS the factor.

That is why I suspect the Bucs benched Buenning becuase they want Mahan's ability to pull.  But he sucks doing that now so they might as well let Buenning line up and block his man in front of him.

#12 : October 30, 2006, 11:24:04 AM

I dont see thinsg as left side and right side. The 5 hogs Ive watched should be fried up. You all say I am overreacting about the OL, well I think everyone overreacts criticizing Gruden. Gruden has excuses. He hasnt had the resources to put talent on teh field. Whats the excuse for the OL? You all can keep making excuses for them, but all I know is that I watch the opposing defenses front 7 own our offense every week. Cincy was the only game they looked decent. The only OL Ive seen all year as bad a steh BUcs is the Raiders, and Im not so sure the Raiders are any worse. I guess you guys ignore the 13 total yards this team averages over the first 2 quarters all year. Or maybe you all just blame it on gruden. I really feel sorry for Gruden. The guy is in a lose lose situation here and has been ever since he arrived. He took a team that was at the end of their peak and had 1 maybe 2 years to squeeze a super bowl out of a team that had been conditioned to lose for 30 years. Then when age, draft picks and salary caop catches up to us McKay and Dungy skate free and everyone blames Gruden for the talent that is put on the field. He works as hard as anyone in the NFL and I respect the knowledge he has for the game and his abilities as a coach and his abilities to delegate power to his coaches and I know nobody is as sick as him when he calls a runnin play and 2-3 guys are in the backfield waiting in line licking their lips to crush Caddy in the backfield. WHy is it that I dont hear Caddy complaining about not getting the ball? Maybe he acknowledges that Gruden isnt going away form him because he doesnt trust him, but instead neither of them trust the OL

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 30, 2006, 11:27:34 AM

Why should Gruden escape blame?

Give me a reason why Mahan should be starting over Buenning. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 30, 2006, 11:39:20 AM

Another draft like last year's and two or three years experiance and the Buc's might have a good one.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offensive Line Thoughts... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools