Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ellis Wyms « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 30, 2006, 10:34:53 PM

Wyms has stepped up big and the rest of the D-line seems rejuvenated as a result.  Still the Bucs would do well to draft a pass rushing DT and a pass rushing DE.

bveghte

Pro Bowler
#16 : October 31, 2006, 06:20:26 AM

Wyms has always been an excellent pass rusher, his weakness is against the run. He's just too small, and that won't change. Bradley on 1st and 2nd and Wyms on 3rd down is one option, but it would be better to have a UT who can stop the run and the pass on all downs! Moreover, we need a rotation. We shouldn't forget that UT is the most important position in this whole defense. What if Wyms gets injured??? THink about that long and hard. We'd be dead.

IF there is strong three-technicque, one-gap DT available in Round 1, we have to take him in my opinion. Wyms will not hold up without a rotation, and big backs like that Giants fullback, or Deuce, will run over him all day long.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 31, 2006, 07:37:33 AM

I'd still like us to draft a stud UT. It can only help with more pressure and better rotation...

But at what cost? Do you mean in the 1st or the 1st day? I wouldn't mind one in the 3rd round. With Wyms playing like he is, it gives us a lot more flexibility on draft day. We're going to need a corner, a DE, and a linebacker. I think those needs move ahead of UT if Wyms continues to play like he is.

Dude I don't care if he's the number one or if we get a guy on the first day.  We need another stud!  No disrespect to Wyms, but he's just starting to prove himself.  He's made some splashes here and there which begs the question was being held back or was he not able to beat Booger?  Not sure at this point but it looks like he was being held back.  That still doesn't dismiss the fact that we need constant pressure and more turnovers to let our LB's make more plays.  Without having to bring them to create the pressure.

Just a quick note:

Welcome back John Bradley! With 2 tackles and zero sacks he has matched the output McF has managed in 6 of his 7 games this year.

He was nice, I wonder who kicked him to the curb the first time?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 31, 2006, 08:31:11 AM

I do not think Wyms is weak playing against the run.  I mean compared to Booger....Wyms has a lot more tackles and most of them is in part becuase he can actually play the run. 

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#19 : October 31, 2006, 09:04:52 AM

I'd still like us to draft a stud UT. It can only help with more pressure and better rotation...

But at what cost? Do you mean in the 1st or the 1st day? I wouldn't mind one in the 3rd round. With Wyms playing like he is, it gives us a lot more flexibility on draft day. We're going to need a corner, a DE, and a linebacker. I think those needs move ahead of UT if Wyms continues to play like he is.

Dude I don't care if he's the number one or if we get a guy on the first day.  We need another stud!  No disrespect to Wyms, but he's just starting to prove himself.  He's made some splashes here and there which begs the question was being held back or was he not able to beat Booger?  Not sure at this point but it looks like he was being held back.  That still doesn't dismiss the fact that we need constant pressure and more turnovers to let our LB's make more plays.  Without having to bring them to create the pressure.

Just a quick note:

Welcome back John Bradley! With 2 tackles and zero sacks he has matched the output McF has managed in 6 of his 7 games this year.

He was nice, I wonder who kicked him to the curb the first time?

We definetly got better D-line play Sunday and it seemed to be a drastic improvement really.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 31, 2006, 09:10:26 AM

Add Safety and a fast WR to your list.

Larry Brackins can play both positions. ;D

LOL!   Thanks for reminding me about Brackins.   

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 31, 2006, 09:53:01 AM

I do not think Wyms is weak playing against the run.  I mean compared to Booger....Wyms has a lot more tackles and most of them is in part becuase he can actually play the run. 

There's no difference against the run with Wyms in there. Booger was such a non-entity at that spot he wasn't any better than having Greg Spires in there a few years back. Heck, that effort vs. Tiki might have been the best effort we've had vs the run this year and McF isn;t about. Coincidence. Oh, BTW, how'd Indy's rush defense look on Sunday, oh yeah, about like that.

Is it possible the Colts run defense worsened with Booger?

wtmcgee

Starter

#22 : October 31, 2006, 10:06:46 AM

I don't think we need a first rounder, but a DL anywhere on the first day is a priority.  We're super thin and aging pretty quickly up there.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 31, 2006, 10:10:05 AM

McFarland had 2 tackles.  Four since the trade.  Yeah...he still sucks.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 31, 2006, 10:10:56 AM

Wyms had two tackles, three assists, and a sack.

Good job Bruce and Gruden.

original

Pro Bowler

#25 : October 31, 2006, 10:29:53 AM

I think we should Pick best defensive player availible in rnd 1, the only other thought would be DT with the pick we got for booger.  We need Defense accross the board.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 31, 2006, 11:38:48 AM

I don't think we need a first rounder, but a DL anywhere on the first day is a priority. We're super thin and aging pretty quickly up there.

I can see an R1 DE but not a DT but that is solely based on the fact that there's no Warren Sapp starter kit for us in this draft.

Where's one of those when you need him?  I have been watching the kid from Florida.  He's ok, but he's not the answer and he's got knee problems...Whos the DE?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 31, 2006, 11:40:03 AM

I don't think we need a first rounder, but a DL anywhere on the first day is a priority. We're super thin and aging pretty quickly up there.

I can see an R1 DE but not a DT but that is solely based on the fact that there's no Warren Sapp starter kit for us in this draft.

Where's one of those when you need him?  I have been watching the kid from Florida.  He's ok, but he's not the answer and he's got knee problems...Whos the DE?

I am on the Gaines Adams bandwagon.  ;D

140BPM

Practice Squad

#28 : October 31, 2006, 11:40:45 AM

I'm a huge Ellis Wyms homer.  I like what he brings.  In spot duty he's played way better than McFarland ever did.

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#29 : October 31, 2006, 11:46:30 AM

There are three decent DE in this years draft.

Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260)
Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness.

Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia (6-4, 254)
Mature, hard working and explosive off the edge.

Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame (6-4, 270)
He has really stepped up as a big-time pass rusher this season. Abiamiri also is one of the more durable and battle-tested ends in the country.
(info from ESPN.com)
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ellis Wyms « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools