Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Legit Shot « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

« : May 14, 2007, 09:10:15 AM »

Zac Taylor’s name didn’t resonate on NFL draft weekend last month, but it was heard quite frequently on Saturdays the last two years.

He was the man who made 300-yard passing games the norm at run-happy Nebraska. He was the former Juco star who took one of the nation’s most competitive conference’s by storm. He was the rubber-armed native of Norman, Oklahoma who threw 50 passes for 282 yards against the Sooners last fall.

In short, Taylor was no pity project when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were able to lure him to Florida in the hours following the 2007 draft. Taylor may have lacked JaMarcus Russell’s size or the rocket arm that makes you a first-day commodity during the draft, but he is a proven talent who deserves – and will get – a legitimate shot at the NFL.

continued....
http://buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5796

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 14, 2007, 09:15:43 AM »

He has a good familiarity with the system since he worked with Callahan. He's not got a ton of physical tools - less than Grads even. Still if you assume that Grads can whack Simms for the second spot on the depth chart and Simms could get dumped if he slides to third Taylor has a shot at that #3 spot.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 14, 2007, 09:16:27 AM »

Im not a really big fan of a long term project like Taylor. I would much rather continue Gradkowski's development because he has nearly an entire season under his belt.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 14, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »

Im not a really big fan of a long term project like Taylor. I would much rather continue Gradkowski's development because he has nearly an entire season under his belt.

Teams need #3 QB's. Not everyone is a long-term project to start.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

orlandobuc

Starter

« #4 : May 14, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »

i am wondering why he agreed to sign with a team that has 5 guys ahead of him.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 14, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »

Hey.  He signed because he knows we just love QBs here and he wanted to be where the QB action is....he's feelin the love.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #6 : May 14, 2007, 10:23:41 AM »

...and he regressed the longer he played and the more experience he got. He's got the accuracy of Mike Vick, and the arm strength of Paris Hilton.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #7 : May 14, 2007, 10:25:32 AM »

Knowledge. He knows the system so even if he's not really got a roster shot here he's gonna show better here than he might in a lot of other places. The old saying is you are auditioning for 31 other teams not just the one you are practicing for and this system gives him his best shot to show well in a short time frame.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #8 : May 14, 2007, 10:31:26 AM »

Knowledge. He knows the system so even if he's not really got a roster shot here he's gonna show better here than he might in a lot of other places. The old saying is you are auditioning for 31 other teams not just the one you are practicing for and this system gives him his best shot to show well in a short time frame.
And who knows, maybe with his knowledge of the system from playing under Callahan, he and Grad are on a level playing field. Maybe just maybe Zac outplays Grad. I personally know nothing about the kid. How is his accuracy and arm strength? Anyone know his Wonderlic score?

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 14, 2007, 10:32:52 AM »

He's familiar with the system and no one else is interested.

He's intriguing to Gruden. What it means now is...he's TC arm and has a slim chance but he' still here.

What parts of Gruden stating that he wasn't pleased with ANY QB play from last year - and was going to be looking for any and all talent he could find at this position, anywhere he could find it - do folks not understand?!

Incomparable sig by Incognito

FartMan

Pro Bowler
« #10 : May 14, 2007, 10:36:58 AM »

He may overtake Grads, but I don't see Simms not
He has a good familiarity with the system since he worked with Callahan. He's not got a ton of physical tools - less than Grads even. Still if you assume that Grads can whack Simms for the second spot on the depth chart and Simms could get dumped if he slides to third Taylor has a shot at that #3 spot.

I don't see Simms not on this team unless maybe Jake shows up.  Gruden has lamented the fact that they were so inexperienced at QB last year.  I don't see him backing up Garcia with a second year player and an UDFA.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
« #11 : May 14, 2007, 10:40:16 AM »

...and he regressed the longer he played and the more experience he got. He's got the accuracy of Mike Vick, and the arm strength of Paris Hilton.

I tend to give all QB's a pass in their rookie year.  Sure Grad's faded down the stretch, but he did no worse than Alex Smith, who was gawd awful his first year and rebounded pretty good his second.    Plus, obviously Gruden sees something in the kid.   

All in all I don't see the chances of Zac Taylor landing in Tampa to be very high.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 14, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »

I don't see Simms not on this team unless maybe Jake shows up.  Gruden has lamented the fact that they were so inexperienced at QB last year.  I don't see him backing up Garcia with a second year player and an UDFA.

That second year player grossly outplayed Simms last year. Would you trust simms with the helm of the bobsled?

FartMan

Pro Bowler
« #13 : May 14, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »

That second year player grossly outplayed Simms last year. Would you trust simms with the helm of the bobsled?

I like Grad's, I think he has a lot of upside and he's the closing thing we got, under Gruden, to a QB of the future.  I just don't see Gruden investing the whole season in him if something happened to Garcia.  Remember, this is the team that wanted Garcia and Plummer here at the same time.  I would assume Simms would be the odd man out had Plummer actually decided to come down.  The point is Gruden, being on the hot seat, wants an insurance policy on his insurance policy.  He's been to the playoffs with Simms before.  You might argue that it was inspite of Simms and I might agree with you, but he has done it.  I just think he's  not going to put himself in a situation this year where he's starting a rookie.  Poor Gruden has had to call the 3rd QB in to the game more than any HC should.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #14 : May 14, 2007, 11:00:47 AM »

Grossly outplayed? That's just Simms hatred spewing. I think some of you fans grossly underestimated the Ravens, and had that game chalked up as a win when the schedule came out. Even after they signed McNair the average fan thought he was washed up, and still wrote win next to Baltimore on the schedule. When the Buccs got schooled, you all needed to find someone to blame. You chose Simms. I'm sure it's Simms' fault the Buccs gave up 300 yards rushing to Atlanta? I know I saw Simms pull out a knife and cut his own spleen out during Carolina...no it wasn't the Line's fault.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Legit Shot « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools