Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Legit Shot « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#30 : May 14, 2007, 03:19:20 PM

You can't, with a straight face, compare the 2005 Bucs and 2006 Bucs and say the only difference was QB play. 

I don't hate Simms and if he wins in training camp, then god bless him, but while the defense wasn't dominate in 2005 they were much more effective.  Caddy was much more effective in '05 than '06.  He really only had a bad stretch of like 3 games. 

I'm also not saying Gradkowski was great last year.  I'm saying you grade him on a curve because it was his rookie season... and if you to compare their careers on a graph, then you would have to say Gradkowski is ahead of where Simms is at the same point in their careers.  Simms had 1 and a half starts in his second season and they certainly weren't anything to write home about.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 14, 2007, 03:43:09 PM

Excuse factory opposed by the hate factory. Admit it, most of the haters are jealous. All the haters have said at least once, that he wouldn't be where he is if it weren't for daddy, and that's why you don't like him. Don't blame Simms because your dad was a garbage man or cab driver and not an NFL QB.

There's no hate here. The guy played badly last year and there's no number you can pull that says he didn't. His completion % was terrible, his ypa was awful his w/l was awful, his TD:INT was awful. I mean there's just no way around it. Adjusted for competition he ranked 45th in total effectiveness among QB's who tossed 100 passes - oh and that is out of 45 players ranked.

He looked bad in pre-season, he looked bad in the regular season. He looked bad vs the Ravens, he looked bad vs the Falcons. he looked bad with a spleen, he looked bad without a spleen. He was outplayed by a rookie - who was outplayed by Tim Rattay so basically simms got bested by Rattay as well while we're at it. You should never, in your 4th year, even have a comparison to a rookie QB. Period. The fact that there is any credible comparison doesn't bode well for Simms.

Worse, the growth Gradkwoski should show this off-season should be, historically speaking, greater than Simms growth so even if you want to say they are even Grads should be ahead by Sept 1.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

gone

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 14, 2007, 03:45:29 PM

Excuse factory opposed by the hate factory. Admit it, most of the haters are jealous. All the haters have said at least once, that he wouldn't be where he is if it weren't for daddy, and that's why you don't like him. Don't blame Simms because your dad was a garbage man or cab driver and not an NFL QB.

I know better than to get involved in a discussion with you.  I don't know why I keep letting you suck me in.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#33 : May 14, 2007, 03:49:57 PM

There's no hate here. The guy played badly last year and there's no number you can pull that says he didn't. His completion % was terrible, his ypa was awful his w/l was awful, his TD:INT was awful. I mean there's just no way around it. Adjusted for competition he ranked 45th in total effectiveness among QB's who tossed 100 passes - oh and that is out of 45 players ranked.

I agree, and with the way the O-line played, Brady, Favre and anyone else you threw back there would have sucked nuts too. Last year, last year, last year....that's all you ever harp on. How about '05 when the O-line played a little better? When the O-line opened holes a little better? What was the result? Your QB led his team to a championship.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#34 : May 14, 2007, 03:53:15 PM

wats the knock on this Taylor QB guy, he obviously didnt get drafted for a reason? is he too short? makes bad decisions too much? wats the deal

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#35 : May 14, 2007, 03:56:32 PM

... he looked bad without a spleen.

Actually, I think he looked a lot better with out a spleen.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 14, 2007, 04:03:24 PM

I agree, and with the way the O-line played, Brady, Favre and anyone else you threw back there would have sucked nuts too. Last year, last year, last year....that's all you ever harp on. How about '05 when the O-line played a little better? When the O-line opened holes a little better? What was the result? Your QB led his team to a championship.

Strangely enough the OL was terrible for Rattay and Grads and they outplayed Simms. That's the problem, the OL excuse might hold up but we have 2 other QB's proving you don't have to be as bas as Simms was. 

While in 2005 he was about as good as SoB the problem is that he was about as good as SoB. We've got two lab years of Simms where he and player X who isn't really any good played in the same offense with the same problems and in each case Simms didn't separate himself from his scrub level of competition.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#37 : May 14, 2007, 04:09:47 PM

wats the knock on this Taylor QB guy, he obviously didnt get drafted for a reason? is he too short? makes bad decisions too much? wats the deal

I believe its his height, something like 5'8 or so

alright i am wrong here ^

http://www.kffl.com/player/16465/NFL

NFL | Taylor does not work out at Pro Day
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 21:24:44 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Nebraska QB Zac Taylor measured a height of 6-foot-2 1/2 and a weight of 216 pounds at his Pro Day. He stood on all of his numbers from the NFL Combine.

Combine Overview:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=56322

#38 : May 14, 2007, 04:13:24 PM

Nope, Taylor is 6'2.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#39 : May 14, 2007, 04:15:09 PM

I'd be thrilled if we were all wrong, and Zac ends up our QB and plays well.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#40 : May 14, 2007, 04:15:49 PM

Nope, Taylor is 6'2.

i caught myself ;)

gone

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 14, 2007, 04:54:07 PM

Strangely enough the OL was terrible for Rattay and Grads and they outplayed Simms. That's the problem, the OL excuse might hold up but we have 2 other QB's proving you don't have to be as bas as Simms was. 

While in 2005 he was about as good as SoB the problem is that he was about as good as SoB. We've got two lab years of Simms where he and player X who isn't really any good played in the same offense with the same problems and in each case Simms didn't separate himself from his scrub level of competition.

That's the key part the Simms homers won't let go.  They use the excuses for him, but then don't apply them to the competition.  They act like Grads and Mr. Bean played for a different team.  The fact is of the thre QBs playing for us last year, Simms was BY FAR the worst.  Same team, same pourous defense, same sad line, same running game.  And yet Simms was the worst.  Nothing else changed, except perhaps the team actually getting WORSE around them due to injuries and morale issues.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#42 : May 14, 2007, 04:58:43 PM

What did Grads do that was so great? The team finishes better than 4-12 if Simms doesn't get hurt.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#43 : May 14, 2007, 05:00:44 PM

I love the Simms excuse factory. He couldn't win against a great Raven's D? Since you think the D is that important then he can't take the credit for winning with the best D in the league in 05 -- obviously the other team never stood a chance.

You look at 06 and its 1:7 vs. 9:9. There's no excuse for that. Grads played some pretty tough houses too, and overall looked better than Simms this year. Wan't to look at 05? it's a 10:7 ratio for Simms, who was already in his third year. At the very BEST you can say that is a silghtly/somewhat better performance than 06 Grads. I'm sure it didn't hurt to have the #1D and a solid running game either.

With a better performing team around him in 05, Simms was only able to play a little better than Grads did with crap around him. Once the team stopped performing around him in 06, the real Simms appeared -- a 4th year guy who was outplayed by a rookie with worse physical tools.

And I like this one too:

the ravens have a terrible pass defense? last time i checked chris mccallister, ed reed and samari rolle played in the raven's secondary. but you know, they're all terrible ::)

Ravens have a tough pass defense, the Birds (aka the Falcons) don't and Simms sucked the pipe vs them as well so apparently the quality of opposition wasn't his excuse.
You can't pass the ball from your back. Nice skewed stat once a gain. I don't care if you put Jesuit High school's secondary behind the Falcons front 7, Simms can't throw from his back or with 300 lb lineman in his face.

Skewed stat? If you're making the case that it was the Raven's tough D that stopped him from being the stud you know he is, then you have to believe that he's do well against a weak pass D. But he didn't, did he? I suppose rather than face the fact that your logic is seriously flawed it's easier to accuse Dal of being the one to twist things around. And I suppose Grads never had to deal with bad line play? No I forgot the Simmian storyline -- the team and coach were to blame for Simms looking so bad, but after he got hurt they magically started playing better around Grads, so Grads never had to play through a bad D crap running and weak line.

Simmians need to face facts. The fact that their performances are even remotely close is a pretty good indicator that Simms sucks. For a 4th year guy to play worse (or, in the homers case -- just as poorly) as a rookie is inexcuseable.

It wasn't the defense that came back from behind and won 2 games like that, it wasn't the D that dropped the pass in the playoff game.  When you have a very bad O-line and your QB has intant pressure its hard for any QB to play well, did you not notice that the Falcons D was well rested and getting through that O-line with no problem??
I guess Simms should just throw the ball and hope a WR comes down with it Dellhome style. COme one how many times did he has someone in his face on his 3rd step, or before he even set up
Then again if you hate him why would you want to make any sense, just go ahead and keep thinking everything in the NFL is relative and who you play doesn't matter and winning and loosing rests only on the shoulders of your QB. I can't wait to see all the Simms haters excuses when Garcia falls on his face.

gone

Hall of Famer
#44 : May 14, 2007, 05:02:09 PM

What did Grads do that was so great? The team finishes better than 4-12 if Simms doesn't get hurt.

Really?  Because Simms was playing so well?  You may BELIEVE that he would have played better.  But you can't be basing that on anything other than faith, because his performance sure as hell didn't indicate it.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Legit Shot « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools