Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Desperate Measures For A Desperate Team « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

vladin

Starter

#15 : May 14, 2007, 01:16:15 PM

I still love the Bucs, even though the local media consistently tells me not to.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 14, 2007, 01:56:33 PM

Dal, were you in favor of us drafting and keeping Sapp?  He had character issues coming out of Miami.

Sure, high reward and low risk type guy. The dope issue didn't scare me and the coke rumors were not true and his potential was crazy.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#17 : May 14, 2007, 02:00:51 PM

You're sure the coke rumors weren't true?  How do you know?  What if they were?  Did you know that for a fact at the time of the draft?

And how is Stepens no low risk, high reward?  He messes up ONCE, he's gone.  Low risk to me.  he stays out of trouble, and has a monster year...that's not high reward, low risk?  I don't see the difference at all.

Can't believe I'm arguing for this guy, as I don't want him on this team.  I don't want guys like that here.  It's just the inconsistency of people has me confused.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 14, 2007, 02:03:46 PM

And how is Stepens no low risk, high reward?  He messes up ONCE, he's gone.  Low risk to me.  he stays out of trouble, and has a monster year...that's not high reward, low risk?  I don't see the difference at all.

No, Stevens is a proven schumck of an NFL player. He's not a high reward type player. He's low risk, maybe, but he's low reward as well and that latter part if the problem. I know people want to imagine he's as good as 6'7" or whatever he is but he's not shown he is that guy. You are risking his trouble for a second TE.....why?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

orlandobuc

Starter

#19 : May 14, 2007, 02:09:20 PM

Regardless what these guys have done,  they arent Vick, Packman or Tank, who are still on teams and who have made several mistakes.

Every team gives guys like these chances. Every team has trouble makers. You cant play in a sport like this and not have some hot heads or low lifes make it on squads. Its the nature of the beast and you just make sure that they are few and the nature of the problems arent locker room cancer problems.

The guy tried pot or roids. Not good, not allowed, but its nowhere near the problem of say a Terrell Owens or Keyshawn who are totally legal. (as long as you dont include taking too many pills as illegal)

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 14, 2007, 02:12:45 PM

I still love the Bucs, even though the local media consistently tells me not to.

Bingo!

The thing is there's got to be more to it then just bad news sells.  There's still some kind of odd Dungy hang-over that Gru has to deal with. Dude won the championship as asked and still gets no luv.

Ahh... the more people that hate the bucs the cheaper my tix will be and the easier it'll be to get in and out of the parking lot.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#21 : May 14, 2007, 02:14:00 PM

No, Stevens is a proven schumck of an NFL player. He's not a high reward type player. He's low risk, maybe, but he's low reward as well and that latter part if the problem. I know people want to imagine he's as good as 6'7" or whatever he is but he's not shown he is that guy. You are risking his trouble for a second TE.....why?

If you aren't happy we signed him because he stinks on the field, that's fine.  Focus on that.  My point is that to focus on his character issues for only him, and not others, is not consistent.  That's my point nothing more.  I don't think it's worth the risk for anyone.  But that's me.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 14, 2007, 02:20:29 PM

If you aren't happy we signed him because he stinks on the field, that's fine.  Focus on that.  My point is that to focus on his character issues for only him, and not others, is not consistent.  That's my point nothing more.  I don't think it's worth the risk for anyone.  But that's me.
Everyone loves a winner and when Warren Sapp and Randy Moss were dominating at their postions and their teams were in the playoffs everyone overlooked their issues. Stevens has already played for one of the better offensive coaches in the league and along side one of the better quarterbacks, running backs, and offensive lines around, and his play was average at best. You're giving the media a reason to hammer you and not getting a player that can do much to shut them up.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#23 : May 14, 2007, 02:38:42 PM

FRG, I agree with your point.

It just makes no sense to be upset this guy comes here when many of the same people praise "winners" who have had some very questionable attributes.  Totally inconsistent, in my view.  But I understand it, and it all boils down to your first sentence.

#24 : May 14, 2007, 03:57:07 PM

This is the same team that once drafted Warren Sapp despite the same marijuana case, and yet Roy-Boy doesn't bring that up.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 14, 2007, 05:00:50 PM

Dalbuc, I said this on the insider board, but I'll say it again - if Cummings had written this only about Stevens, I think it would have been a fair take.

But by stretching this to include Gaines, Jackson, and - of all people Gatlin - I think he went awry. 

I think Stevens is the lynch pin that makes this a story. The other guys might be minor enough but Stevens is such a bull in a china shop that he ties all the other issues togther.

Stevens doesn't pull anything together. That article, when I first read it on this board, read like a parody written by someone on this board. Since it's apparently legit, I can only assume that Cummings had the basic frame of this type of article written and just tweaked it to fit his thoughts.

The only legit point he has is with Stevens. Even mentioning Gaines Adams is plain stupid.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 14, 2007, 05:02:04 PM

risking what trouble? he screws up he's gone.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 14, 2007, 05:19:04 PM

He's a player on the team. He's on the roster. You might be talking about your starting TE that you just have to toss out and change your plans with him. Everyone thinks in terms of cap cost and not in terms of what it means if this dope is on the roster and then gets booted off. That's another form of risk.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 14, 2007, 05:25:16 PM

He's a player on the team. He's on the roster. You might be talking about your starting TE that you just have to toss out and change your plans with him. Everyone thinks in terms of cap cost and not in terms of what it means if this dope is on the roster and then gets booted off. That's another form of risk.

He's not the starting TE. The risk is minimal....unless you want to write a column stating how "desperate" the Bucs are.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 14, 2007, 05:27:03 PM

He's not the starting TE. The risk is minimal....unless you want to write a column stating how "desperate" the Bucs are.

OK, he's the backup and how can you be certain he's not the starting TE? He's not great but nothing out of Alex Smith says he is yet either.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Desperate Measures For A Desperate Team « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools