Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Desperate Measures For A Desperate Team « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#30 : May 14, 2007, 07:44:48 PM

If he's starts and is contributing in a big way, then he begins to contribute, thus passing the character test that Sapp passed.  Not HOF quality, but production.

This is my point.  Those complaining about his "character" wouldn't if he produced.  Then no one would care about his character.

If you care about character, you don't want anyone like him on this team no matter what level he contributes.  Period.  No matter what.

And you didn't address my Sapp questions above, Dal.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 14, 2007, 08:35:54 PM

If he's starts and is contributing in a big way, then he begins to contribute, thus passing the character test that Sapp passed.  Not HOF quality, but production.

Right but if he's a contributor and flames out then he hurts the team. This guy doesn't have rumors of problem, he has huge problems being a dope and he's not THAT good the only reason he could play here is that what we've got isn't very good.

I did deal with Sapp above, you didn't read it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#32 : May 14, 2007, 08:40:45 PM

You're sure the coke rumors weren't true?  How do you know?  What if they were?  Did you know that for a fact at the time of the draft?

And how is Stepens no low risk, high reward?  He messes up ONCE, he's gone.  Low risk to me.  he stays out of trouble, and has a monster year...that's not high reward, low risk?  I don't see the difference at all.

Can't believe I'm arguing for this guy, as I don't want him on this team.  I don't want guys like that here.  It's just the inconsistency of people has me confused.

You answered these questions?  This was in response to your post that said this: "Sure, high reward and low risk type guy. The dope issue didn't scare me and the coke rumors were not true and his potential was crazy."

And to CP24, sorry for the hijack.  This is my last post in this thread.  Good discussion...even though you guys are all wrong ;-)

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#33 : May 14, 2007, 09:03:40 PM

So he's a low reward player because he's an NFL schumck, but suddenly he's our starting TE and could be a huge loss because he gets cut when he messes up?  If he's so bad of a player that he comes cheap, but ends up starting for us, that's not a high payout on a low investment?

Granted, he's no pro bowler, but the guy was 11th in yards for TEs in 2005.  I think there's a longer list of guys behind him then in front of him for "NFL Schumck" status.

Either he's a low risk/high reward type because he signed cheap and can be cut if there's a problem, or at worst he's a low risk/low reward guy...which is standard for back up and depth players.  I just don't see how this scenario of him being a high risk guy because he MIGHT be our starter (even though he sucks) and therefore MIGHT get cut and leave us high and dry can be argued.  Either he sucks or he doesn't, in both arguments...not just when he doesn't get in trouble.

cobraboy

Second String

#34 : May 14, 2007, 09:09:42 PM

An Open Letter to Roy Cummings:

May 14, 2007

To: Roy Cummings, Mega Genius Tampa Tribune Sports Agenda Columnist

From: Cobraboy, Second Tier Poster, Pewter Reports Message Board

Subject: You recent series of editorials

Dear Mr. Cummings,

Bite Me. :-*

Very Truly Yours,

Cobraboy :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 14, 2007, 09:25:41 PM

He's not the starting TE. The risk is minimal....unless you want to write a column stating how "desperate" the Bucs are.

OK, he's the backup and how can you be certain he's not the starting TE? He's not great but nothing out of Alex Smith says he is yet either.

I doubt he beats out Alex Smith. If you wish to frame this as a high risk signing be my guest. There likely won't be any talking you out of it anyway. Again...lumping the Stevens signing...which does have some legitimate question marks attached to it....with the drafting of Adams and Jackson and drawing the conclusion that the Bucs are acting in a "desperate" fashion is just stupid on Cummings part.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#36 : May 14, 2007, 09:29:47 PM

The title of that article should be changed to Desperate Measures For A Desperate Sports Jounalist.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 14, 2007, 10:15:36 PM

Desperate Sports Writer (journalist is too much of a streach for me) FTW!

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

bucs1

Practice Squad
#38 : May 14, 2007, 10:32:40 PM

Desperate Sports Writer (journalist is too much of a streach for me) FTW!

Alright, sports writer it is.  That was my origional thought.  Desperate Measures For A Desperate Sports Writer

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 15, 2007, 08:51:30 AM

So he's a low reward player because he's an NFL schumck, but suddenly he's our starting TE and could be a huge loss because he gets cut when he messes up?  If he's so bad of a player that he comes cheap, but ends up starting for us, that's not a high payout on a low investment?

He's not a game changer but, like Anthony Davis last year, he might be as good as we've got and thus matter a lot. We're assuming a much higher risk with him than we need to given his probable return not because of who he is but because of what we are.

The funny thing here is if any team not called the Bucs signed this clown the laugh posse would be out but like the good soldiers you are rationalization mode clicks as soon as we do it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boriqua

Starter
#40 : May 15, 2007, 09:19:19 AM

I think they main point is being lost in all of this. It is clear and highly understandable that there are not a lot of Stevens fans here, everyone knows his history up to this point, and personally, I don't like the signing either. However, the main thing here is that this reporter took it upon himself to paint the Bucs as the next Bengals just because of this guy and some exagerated stories from 2 draft picks. I'm not going into the Gatlin thing, because is absolutely ridiculous to actually think he was more than just a body in rookie camp.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 15, 2007, 09:28:41 AM

Here's the reason I say Stevens is the key.

As an example, and people won't follow this logic so I'm not sure why I bother with it,  PacMan Jones has had two incidents with the law since his "make it rain" date. Speeding and going to a strip club. Neither of those are any big deal and are 100% yawners BUT in light of another greater problem they create a pattern where there really wasn't one before.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 15, 2007, 10:27:57 AM

Dalbuc, if you are trying to analogize PacMan Jones' relatively minor post-"make it rain" incidents to the relatively minor incidents of the Tanard Jackson, Gaines, and Justin Gatlin - a guy who isn't even a Buc - than I think the logic breakdown is your own.

Stevens isn't the key to a pattern. He is the whole story - the only "desperate measure for a desperate team," and really that only works if you assume he'll start on this team (and I do).

Cummings' story isn't just that the Bucs are taking chances on character - it's that they are taking chances in a last gasp chance to win now. That breaks down almost immediately when you consider that Justin Gatlin is not going to be on the team and that Tanard Jackson is most likely a backup while he learns to play safety. Cummings is left with Gaines - the weakest part of his entire pattern, since his "sin" seems to be far gone in the past and freely admitted to.  Would we have been called desperate if we drafted Jarvis Moss, Okoye, or CJ? If we had drafted Marcus Thomas, Eric Wright, and Brandon Meriweather and picked up Ken Hamlin and Randy Moss in the offseason he'd have something. What he has now is just dumb.

Plus, not to get too far off track, but it's not just the 2 extra yawner data points post-"MIR" - it's the trail of highly significant data points before it that allows for a pattern.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Desperate Measures For A Desperate Team « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools