Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Gradkowski can, Zac Taylor can « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

simmstheanswer

Starter

#30 : May 14, 2007, 04:05:45 PM

of course it is, if that qb is capable of playing in the nfl. it just doesn't appear that grads is an nfl caliber qb. he has absolutely no arm strength, and his accuracy (something he was touted for) is nonexistant. he can't read defenses, won't take the hit, freaks out in the pocket, etc... some qb's with the capability play poorly starting out their careers, and some with sub-average skills can look good in certain situations, but only in certain situations. grads is a backup, plain and simple. simms may not be our starter, or anyone's, but at least he has the tangibles to actually be an nfl qb. grads in my opinion just doesn't have what it takes...

The same could be said for most QB's their rookie years.

maybe so, but it didn't take very many games of watching gradkowski to realize that he is just not starter material. just in plain old talent, he just doesn't have a high enough ceiling. his arm isn't gonna get stronger, and we need to be able to throw the ball withing the vicinity of the wr further than 25 yards. he's got moxy, for what it's worth, but he's just not ever gonna be good enough, and that was pretty obvious just from watching him, even given he was just a rookie. like the poster above this said, a great #3 he is, and that's what he'll stay.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#31 : May 14, 2007, 04:12:21 PM

Well, it's tough to argue with your "opinion"

I'm just saying, by nature players tend to get better with more experience.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#32 : May 14, 2007, 04:13:53 PM

I agree, but how does experience help those INT's against Dallas. They weren't rookie mistake INT's those were INT's as a result of grossly thrown passes.

simmstheanswer

Starter

#33 : May 14, 2007, 04:17:16 PM

i'm not stating an opinion. he cannot throw accurately, at any distance, let alone futher than 20 yards. if that improves at all, it's only going to be on a very limited scale. not being able to read defenses is one thing, not actually having the physical capabilities to be an nfl qb is another. from what we've seen, it just doens't appear that he is capable of making it in the bigs.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#34 : May 14, 2007, 04:18:13 PM

I agree, but how does experience help those INT's against Dallas. They weren't rookie mistake INT's those were INT's as a result of grossly thrown passes.

Do to some physical short comings, it looks like there will always be flaws in parts of Gradkowski's game.  At best he could hope to be another Jeff Garcia or Rich Gannon.  Who were not great long ball throwers.

You will also note that Gannon was a back-up for a lot of his career and Garcia didn't get a crack at the NFL until deep into his career, as well. So, to judge Gradkowski on his rookie campaign seems premature, to say the least.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 14, 2007, 04:19:15 PM

can you really bag on a 6th round rookie QB with no line?  gimme a break.  he shouldnt have been thrown into the lineup that early.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#36 : May 14, 2007, 04:20:13 PM

Do to some physical short comings, it looks like there will always be flaws in parts of Gradkowski's game.  At best he could hope to be another Jeff Garcia or Rich Gannon.  Who were not great long ball throwers.

You will also note that Gannon was a back-up for a lot of his career and Garcia didn't get a crack at the NFL until deep into his career, as well. So, to judge Gradkowski on his rookie campaign seems premature, to say the least.
Gannon was undefeated as a started for Kansas City, and only a Political decision made by a bad GM stopped Gannon from getting his first ring, and the Chiefs their second.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#37 : May 14, 2007, 04:20:59 PM

i'm not stating an opinion. he cannot throw accurately, at any distance, let alone futher than 20 yards. if that improves at all, it's only going to be on a very limited scale. not being able to read defenses is one thing, not actually having the physical capabilities to be an nfl qb is another. from what we've seen, it just doens't appear that he is capable of making it in the bigs.

I disagree.

He did miss on quite a few throws.  He also connected on a few.  Granted he missed a lot of opportunities, but he did throw 9 tds. 

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#38 : May 14, 2007, 04:21:34 PM

can you really bag on a 6th round rookie QB with no line?  gimme a break.  he shouldnt have been thrown into the lineup that early.
But he was thrown in because our O-line sucked and almost got our QB killed....literally. But the fact remains that the Buccs sucked last year, not just in the first 3 games.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#39 : May 14, 2007, 04:22:48 PM

Gannon was undefeated as a started for Kansas City, and only a Political decision made by a bad GM stopped Gannon from getting his first ring, and the Chiefs their second.

Gannon was in the league 8 years before he got to KC.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#40 : May 14, 2007, 04:25:56 PM

Gannon was in the league 8 years before he got to KC.
Yes, and when he was on good teams, he made a difference. Football is a team game, but the Simms haters totally lay all the blame at his feet. The team didn't suck because of Simms, Simms sucked because the Buccs were a bad team in more ways than one last season.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 14, 2007, 04:27:40 PM

But he was thrown in because our O-line sucked and almost got our QB killed....literally. But the fact remains that the Buccs sucked last year, not just in the first 3 games.

Actually the O-line started out OK last year, but Simms did take a few hits in the 3rd game.  I think PR gave the O-line an A, B, and C the first three games.  

The team collectively sucked but lets not write Simms's crappy form off completely.  He gets the sympathy vote now because of the circumstances that ended his season but lets not forget he was on the verge of being benched anyway.

I want Simms to progress and fulfill his potential, and I also want Grads to build on his rookie year.  

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#42 : May 14, 2007, 04:29:54 PM

Actually the O-line started out OK last year, but Simms did take a few hits in the 3rd game.  I think PR gave the O-line an A, B, and C the first three games. 

The team collectively sucked but lets not write Simms's crappy form off completely.  He gets the sympathy vote now because of the circumstances that ended his season but lets not forget he was on the verge of being benched anyway.

I want Simms to progress and fulfill his potential, and I also want Grads to build on his rookie year. 

No way in hell was Simms on the verge of being benched. That's an assumption. I don't believe in my opinion that gruden would have kicked the season to the curb and started Sadkowski after just 3 games.

dodda45

Starter
#43 : May 14, 2007, 04:31:30 PM

Delhomme, Garcia, Brad Johnson, Warner...lots of Qbs take time to develop and some don't even get the luxury to start out in the league.  Come on, this is such a stupid thread.  Grads played pretty well at times last year...He wasn't nearly as bad as Simms was.  Where he really went into a rut was in the 10 day span of 3 games.  The guy was hardly getting any prep time to go up against teams he has never seen before...Anyway, he is a rookie...this is the kind of discussion that I hate the most...People assuming they already know if a rookie has what it takes...The only assumption you can make about the threads like these are about the people who start them or agree with them.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#44 : May 14, 2007, 04:31:46 PM

I will agree there... the Bucs had a lot of holes last season.  My gut tells me the depth chart this year will be 1. Garcia, 2. Simms, 3. Gradkowski

Simms just has a lot more experience. 

... I also think if you had to pick which QB would carry the mantle of "QB of the future" it would be Gradkowski more so than any QB on the roster.  He seems to be a more natural fit in the offense than Simms.  Who's always seemed like a square peg in a round hole here.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Gradkowski can, Zac Taylor can « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools