Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bonds: Still The Best LF In The Game « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

« #15 : May 14, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »

Ty Cobb used to stab fans, Bonds hates the media, in 100 years I doubt anyone cares when they look at the black ink on a statsheet.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #16 : May 14, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »

Frenchy has actually improved drastically with his eye and taking pitches this year from last.  I think he will get even better with experience.

As for Bonds, he isn't the defensive LF he once was,but he i still the best and most feared hitter in the game.  And yes, he is a HOF and yes he is maybe the best LF ever, and arguably the best player.  People forget that even in his younger, pre-steroid accusation days he was still a dual threat both power and speed.  He is the ONLY guy with 500HR and 500SB, and might stay that way forever.  Most players these days run less as they get older and develop more power.  See Arod, Vlad, AJ, Griffey, etc. Bonds had HOF numbers before any steroid questions, and so he should be regardless.  Plus, how many of the pitchers Bonds faced in his career were on steroids?  Also, a few years back ESPN did a study on Bonds or McGuire and IF they had taken steroids how many HR they likely would have hit.  It was fairly scientific, and I think it came out to maybe 5-10 HR less in the particular season examined.  Bonds would have hit 550+ HR and stolen 500+ bases without an PED's, so he is HOF in my book.

« #17 : May 14, 2007, 05:56:13 PM »

I'm hoping he breaks it in front of the SF crowd on a blast into the bay. I want to see this record fall, not because I hate Aaron or Ruth, I don't, I have no reason to. I don't love Bonds, I just find the idea of the HR record being broken for the first time in decades as a special moment that I don't want to miss.

MBF

Hall of Famer

« #18 : May 14, 2007, 05:57:10 PM »

Exactly, Ray, but some don't seem to understand.

« #19 : May 14, 2007, 05:57:32 PM »

Frenchy has actually improved drastically with his eye and taking pitches this year from last.  I think he will get even better with experience.

As for Bonds, he isn't the defensive LF he once was,but he i still the best and most feared hitter in the game.  And yes, he is a HOF and yes he is maybe the best LF ever, and arguably the best player.  People forget that even in his younger, pre-steroid accusation days he was still a dual threat both power and speed.  He is the ONLY guy with 500HR and 500SB, and might stay that way forever.  Most players these days run less as they get older and develop more power.  See Arod, Vlad, AJ, Griffey, etc. Bonds had HOF numbers before any steroid questions, and so he should be regardless.  Plus, how many of the pitchers Bonds faced in his career were on steroids?  Also, a few years back ESPN did a study on Bonds or McGuire and IF they had taken steroids how many HR they likely would have hit.  It was fairly scientific, and I think it came out to maybe 5-10 HR less in the particular season examined.  Bonds would have hit 550+ HR and stolen 500+ bases without an PED's, so he is HOF in my book.
I remember that study, I believe it was Jim Caple, maybe not, he would've had around 650 I think, since they discarded balls that just 'barely' went over (5 feet I think)

« #20 : May 14, 2007, 05:58:27 PM »

Also let's realize that Bonds is, and has faced pitchers that are dirty as well, sure back in the day they had the spitball, but now they have the syringe, and innovations like the LOOGY.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #21 : May 14, 2007, 06:02:41 PM »

Frenchy has actually improved drastically with his eye and taking pitches this year from last.  I think he will get even better with experience.

As for Bonds, he isn't the defensive LF he once was,but he i still the best and most feared hitter in the game.  And yes, he is a HOF and yes he is maybe the best LF ever, and arguably the best player.  People forget that even in his younger, pre-steroid accusation days he was still a dual threat both power and speed.  He is the ONLY guy with 500HR and 500SB, and might stay that way forever.  Most players these days run less as they get older and develop more power.  See Arod, Vlad, AJ, Griffey, etc. Bonds had HOF numbers before any steroid questions, and so he should be regardless.  Plus, how many of the pitchers Bonds faced in his career were on steroids?  Also, a few years back ESPN did a study on Bonds or McGuire and IF they had taken steroids how many HR they likely would have hit.  It was fairly scientific, and I think it came out to maybe 5-10 HR less in the particular season examined.  Bonds would have hit 550+ HR and stolen 500+ bases without an PED's, so he is HOF in my book.
I remember that study, I believe it was Jim Caple, maybe not, he would've had around 650 I think, since they discarded balls that just 'barely' went over (5 feet I think)

Yeah.  I know they did a story on his career (looing at the years in question) and also did one on the 73 season.  The 73 season is what I was referring to and how he still would have hit around 65hr, not sure the exact number.  But yeah, they threw out HR that didn't clear by X amount, and used formulas to subtract how far a HR wouldhave went without the added strength from steroids.  It was an interesting story no doubt.

« #22 : May 14, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »

I don't really have all that much problem with him on roids since it seems like everyone in baseball is anyway, I just think he's a pompous pr*ck that does not deserve the record. I mean when his teammates did not greet him at the plate when he broke that one big HR record, that told me all I needed to know about what his own team thinks of him.  

« #23 : May 14, 2007, 06:03:57 PM »

Bonds is probably the most underappreciated player this side of Walter Johnson.

« #24 : May 14, 2007, 06:05:28 PM »

The Giants are an older ballclub, and for that reason you won't see them as openly 'giddy' as you would other teams, and he only moved past Willie Mays (only?), I don't think the Cowboys made a big deal when Emmy moved into third place all time in rushing yards, did they?

« #25 : May 14, 2007, 06:07:39 PM »

I have seen teams jump up and down and high five a player for alot less, so any excuse you make for Bonds is not gonna fly with me or a million other people that can't stand him.

« #26 : May 14, 2007, 06:08:46 PM »

I honestly don't care if he's a jerk or not, that doesn't make or break him in my eyes. Have you considered maybe Barry himself told them to not do anything?

« #27 : May 14, 2007, 06:12:08 PM »

Yeah, that was it(or maybe they were whispering "who cares - what a jackass" in the dugout).  ::)

« #28 : May 14, 2007, 06:12:44 PM »

Jealously is a sad thing among baseball players.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #29 : May 14, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »

He's the second best baseball player ev-a imo. I remember his .600+ OBP a couple years ago, 230+ BBs. UN-REAL.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bonds: Still The Best LF In The Game « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools