Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GolfSmith anyone?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

: May 15, 2007, 04:24:39 PM

Has anyone been to this store yet, and how is the merchandise and prices compared to other places?? I just got $300 for my birthday(which is today)and I am going to go and maybe look into a new set of irons there.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 15, 2007, 04:26:17 PM

Happy Birthday Chrispy!!!

Can't help with the GolfSmith though, never heard of it.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#2 : May 15, 2007, 04:38:26 PM

Happy Birthday man! can't help ya with the store though, never heard of it

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 15, 2007, 04:43:39 PM

Happy Birthday.

I would check a few golf stores out and find the clubs you want then check the Internet.

#4 : May 15, 2007, 05:04:01 PM

GolfSmith is a brand new golf "superstore" that opened on North Dale Mabry in Lutz and one in Clearwater I believe about a month ago, and I have been to a few others already and were just wondering. And thanks for the birthday shouts!  ;D

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 15, 2007, 05:11:57 PM

just got a Taylormade 3 wood after the in store demo and it has worked out well (10 handicap)...

people that work there seem knowledgable, but it's just a Walmart style golf shop...  i happen to be addicted!  mjs is right about irons though - online (eBay) is a pretty good route once you've settled on a set.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 15, 2007, 05:15:59 PM

Ive found that guys who are just divorced are the best store to buy clubs from. I got a brand new set of ping blades for $150 and a ping driver for $50 from another guy.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#7 : May 15, 2007, 05:16:55 PM

i picked up a $60 driver, and i love it, it was a demo club, i avg about a 270 drive with it, i'm a 12 Handicap

anyone playing in the PR tourney??

#8 : May 15, 2007, 05:44:26 PM

I got my eye on a set of RAM irons that were $159.99 at Sports Authority!!  ;D I am a 24 handicap and no I am probably not going to play in that tournament and embarrass myself.

#9 : May 15, 2007, 05:50:08 PM

Oh yeah, and I bought a long ball driver called the "Nitro Blaster" and it felt niiiiice on the driving range, but I have yet to get it out on the golf course since I just recently bought it. ;D

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#10 : May 15, 2007, 06:12:43 PM

I'll tell you what I know about golf equipment.

First off, even though some have mentioned that you should buy on ebay, I must say that I have not taken this approach recently. I have purchased an awful lot of golf equipment in my time and it just seems to me that the deals I have made on ebay have not been so hot. First off, the pricing looks really nice but if you scout around you can probably find similar pricing on a good deal of the stuff on there. You can surely find some sweetheart deals, though I will admit. When I used to buy my clubs on ebay, it just seemed as though I was never satisfied with them. I knew what I was buying but just wasn't satisfied with the end result.

What I have done is started to trade my clubs in and get new ones off the used rack at a local golf store. This has worked out way better for me. I get to hit them and I have developed a report with the guy who owns the place. I buy a lot of clubs and make him happy, he gives me some good deals and I am happy. I've found his pricing to be around what it would be on ebay, believe it or not and the fact that he accepts trade ins makes me happy as well. Why on earth keep old golf clubs when you can get at least something for them?

Anyways, just to give you an idea what I am talking about I bought a Cobra 460 SZ driver there brand new for $100. He was having a closeout. I played that driver for the entire season and just realized that I wanted more roll (I had backspin on it for some reason) and I didn't want to hit it as high. I went in this year, picked up a Titleist 905R which was just a demo with the ProForce V2 shaft in it and a Cleveland 60 degree trusty rusty wedge. The wedge was supposed to be $40 and the driver was supposed to be $160. He gave me $60 for that Cobra which was more than half what I paid for it and I felt that was a fair trade and then knocked some off the total for me. I paid $130 and walked out. That's good business.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 15, 2007, 08:19:46 PM

Ive found that guys who are just divorced are the best store to buy clubs from. I got a brand new set of ping blades for $150 and a ping driver for $50 from another guy.

I am still swinging the Ping Eye II irons I bought from a guy that was emigrating to the USA when I was 19.  They were 4 years old when I bought them, and I haven't seen a better iron in the 23 years since.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#12 : May 15, 2007, 08:25:07 PM

I am still swinging the Ping Eye II irons I bought from a guy that was emigrating to the USA when I was 19. They were 4 years old when I bought them, and I haven't seen a better iron in the 23 years since.

I still have a set of the Ping Eye 2's with the square groves from a LONG time ago. 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 15, 2007, 08:27:06 PM

Pros used to win on tour with them off the shelf, classic club.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#14 : May 15, 2007, 09:19:50 PM

Yeah, one of the only club sets that actually have held value or even GAINED over time.  I see sets in good condition on ebay every so often going for what they cost new or sometimes even higher. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GolfSmith anyone?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools