Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GolfSmith anyone?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#15 : May 15, 2007, 09:55:18 PM

Anyone buying golf equipment nowadays owes it to themselves to get their clubs custom made or at least get custom specs according to your body dimensions. One club does not fit all. (http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/oem_ocf.php)

Ping.com has a custom fitting section of their website where you put in your height/handsize/distance of your hands from the ground, etc.  Your swing speed also matters - in the type of shafts you get (stiff vs regular). 

I'd never recommend buying clubs off the rack without demo'ing them -  some places let you take a set for a few days for a small fee.

I play Ping Eye 2+ that are fit to my height/swing.   If Golfsmith sells PING, use your $300 toward a good set of Pings (i5 irons - about $700/set) . You can't go wrong with PINGs.   Taylormade Irons (RAC model) aren't bad but the swing lie may not be suitable to your heighth. I don't think you can custom size the RAC.

I've gotten some decent clubs (lob wedges/drivers) off of E-Bay.  It makes no sense to pay $299 for a new driver, when you can pick it up on e-bay at a third of the price after someone has decided they can't hit the club.

#16 : May 15, 2007, 10:01:45 PM

Only problem with buying clubs off the net is that you can't try them out first.  :-

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#17 : May 15, 2007, 10:25:36 PM

Only problem with buying clubs off the net is that you can't try them out first. :-

I usually only buy off the net only after I've tried the clubs somewhere else (ie. golf range demo days or test hit my golf partner's clubs, etc).

You can make a serious mistake of buying the wrong clubs if you don't know the type of shaft your swing needs, and the club lie (in degrees) needs to be correct, otherwise you could struggle on the course with the club and regret that you ever bought them.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 15, 2007, 10:26:32 PM

Only problem with buying clubs off the net is that you can't try them out first. :-

That is why you check all the stores out first.   ;)

spartan

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 16, 2007, 08:37:51 AM

I'm not big into big expensive clubs cos I suck. It really isn't worth spending a lot of money to continue hitting golf balls into the woods and peoples back yards :)  but I must admit I love my Ping i3 blades and it was the best purchase I ever made clubwise.  They help me drive it at least 10 yards further into the woods. 
My handicap is whatever golf club I have in my hand at the time :)

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 16, 2007, 08:54:33 AM

They help me drive it at least 10 yards further into the woods.

Hey if you get another 10 yards you might be through the woods and on to whatever is on the other side.   ;)

Pings are good because of the peripheral weighting and the fact that they are made to measure if you get fitted.  Mine are about 27 years-old, and they are like new, same shafts, just had several re-grips.  I did buy a set of Wilson Fat-Shafts off Overstock a couple of years ago just to try graphite shafts.   Used them for a month and them my trusty old Ping went back in the bag. 

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 16, 2007, 08:55:40 AM

oma - i just got rid of my RAC CB's.  when hit well, felt like butter, when hit off-center, felt like butt.  i wasn't playin' enough and i've always been a blade player, but i just caved in and got a set of MacGregor 565's for game improvement.

i didn't know much about MacGregor other than Jack played 'em, but i gotta tell you these are some of the best clubs i've ever swung.  very minimal offset, mid sized, alot of mass in the perimeter and particularly helpful in getting the ball on a higher trajectory.

but here's the best part - they're forged!  give me a forged iron over a cast any day of the week.  the fact that i found a forged game improvement stick without offset is proof that these guys think of every possible player to reach.  it was just time to stop playing clubs for how great they look at address and start posting some scores!  nothing more beautiful than a nice forged blade - and nothing harder to hit, or hit consistently...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 16, 2007, 09:02:44 AM

Forged are great for low handicap player but anyone above 10 is probably better with peripheral weighting.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#23 : May 16, 2007, 09:05:01 AM

my set that i have are Cobra knockoffs, i've had them about 10 yrs now, and still hit em great, it is time for an upgrade, but left handed clubs are a lil harder to come by, like they say, If it ain't broke, don't fix it

spartan

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 16, 2007, 09:06:32 AM

Ok, will people start speaking English now?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 16, 2007, 09:11:51 AM

Ok, will people start speaking English now?

???  What do you mean?  Forged and Weighted?  Forged are a flat blade, and weighted are like your Pings with a 'lip' of extra weight around the edge. 

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 16, 2007, 09:15:03 AM

Golf is fun.

I suck.

I still use my dad's old Ping irons, minus the 6 iron (my best club), because the shaft broke the last time I threw it at the golf cart.

I suck.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 16, 2007, 09:41:52 AM

I just got $300 for my birthday(which is today)and I am going to go and maybe look into a new set of irons there.

You do realize that Home Depot shares plummeted yesterday in the wake of this news. 

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#28 : May 16, 2007, 10:45:07 AM

I got the feeling this thread was not so much for information on the golf shop but a subtle way for Chrispy to say "Hey everyone, it's my birthday today!" so people will say "Happy birthday Chrispy!"

spartan

Hall of Famer
#29 : May 16, 2007, 11:02:13 AM

Golf is fun.

I suck.

I still use my dad's old Ping irons, minus the 6 iron (my best club), because the shaft broke the last time I threw it at the golf cart.

I suck.

You sound like my Brother in Law. He actually has to drive further in the cart to find his clubs than to take the next shot :)
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GolfSmith anyone?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools