Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: stop with the 3-4 business « previous next »
Page: 1 2

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

: May 22, 2007, 05:40:47 PM

there have been a million threads lately about how our line up would look in the 3-4, or someone saying "i can't wait untill training camp or the season to see how much we use it." Not one time has monte said we will use it. He has never once said it, or even hinted at it for that matter. So please don't get your hopes up

we have always done and been succesfull with the 4-3 tampa 2

and we will keep using the 4-3 tampa 2 untill kiffin leaves which is hopefully not for a very long time.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 22, 2007, 05:43:12 PM

Did you watch the regular season last year? ???

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 22, 2007, 05:56:31 PM

As ADW points out tHey did sprinkle some 3-4 last year playboy.

You don't have to be too perceptive to realize that the Bucs will implement more 3-4. Coyer is a 3-4 guy, the Bucs have added a ridciulous amount of LB's, Carter, Adams whose athletic enough to drop back in coverage, and the fact that Monte will do anything to get ahead of opposing offenses there's no reason to think they won't implement more 3-4 looks this year.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#3 : May 22, 2007, 06:32:03 PM

We will be in a 3-4 for atleast 35% of the snaps this season.. just take a look at the players we have brought in this year and how deep we are with athletic linebackers..

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#4 : May 22, 2007, 06:35:56 PM

take a look at the players we have brought in???

all of the players we have brought in have been "PROTOTYPE" tampa 2 guys

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#5 : May 22, 2007, 06:40:59 PM

take a look at the players we have brought in???

all of the players we have brought in have been "PROTOTYPE" tampa 2 guys

We have 7 guys who could play end in a 3-4.. Rice, Spires, Carter, Wyms, Adams, Jenkins, and Peterson. We have a ton of linebackers in Ruud, Brooks, Black, June, Hayward, Chukwurah, Nece, and you dont think were gonna try and run the 3-4 at times?

You dont have to be big to run the 3-4... you need to have athletic linebackers that can make plays all over the field.

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 22, 2007, 06:48:01 PM

Nobody's saying it's a full change to a 3-4.  But you should expect it to be a little over 40%.  THe basic precepts are going to be the same, but there is nothing sacred about the current formations in Tampa-2.  It's pressure and fast LBs with a cover-2 zone.  (Slightly different responsibilites in coverage notwithstanding) .  Whether the pressure is generated by 4 up front or by creative use of a 4th LB in lieu of a DE/DT is irelevant.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#7 : May 22, 2007, 07:05:07 PM

And least we forget the Tampa 2 originates from a 3-4 defense..

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 22, 2007, 07:14:53 PM

there have been a million threads lately about how our line up would look in the 3-4, or someone saying "i can't wait untill training camp or the season to see how much we use it." Not one time has monte said we will use it. He has never once said it, or even hinted at it for that matter. So please don't get your hopes up

we have always done and been succesfull with the 4-3 tampa 2

and we will keep using the 4-3 tampa 2 untill kiffin leaves which is hopefully not for a very long time.

No one said it was replacing the Tampa 2 so relax.  It was used sparingly last year [FACT] and most are pointing out that sparingly might increase A BIT to occasionally - again not replacing.  

Not sure how much you've actually rubbed elbows with anyone related to the team, but if you became a member and read what folks are saying THAT ARE talking and interviewing players/coaches/scouts/front office personnel you might think differently.

Kiffin has tweaked the Tampa 2 every year since his first year here and will continue to do so - If you think his Tampa 2 is the same it was the day he arrived, your very wrong.  

It's just another wrinkle - not a base formation.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 22, 2007, 07:36:14 PM

*blink*  *blinkblink* 

We're going to run 3-4 with who as down linemen?  Adams, Hovan, Rice?   Hovan is a dead man.  Oh wait maybe we'll get bryant back and he'll be all world again.

Seeing as our safeties are so poor maybe we'll run some 3-5. I'm not saying all the time just like 40% or something.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 22, 2007, 07:42:54 PM

*blink* *blinkblink*

We're going to run 3-4 with who as down linemen? Adams, Hovan, Rice? Hovan is a dead man. Oh wait maybe we'll get bryant back and he'll be all world again.

Seeing as our safeties are so poor maybe we'll run some 3-5. I'm not saying all the time just like 40% or something.

no, but if you were a member you'd read who has been talked about as being able to fill those rolls. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 22, 2007, 07:50:10 PM

I tried that out.  Good read, but in the long run not all that accurate. Like any other sports coverage as often leading astray as showing the path.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 22, 2007, 08:53:39 PM

*blink*  *blinkblink* 

We're going to run 3-4 with who as down linemen?  Adams, Hovan, Rice?   Hovan is a dead man.  Oh wait maybe we'll get bryant back and he'll be all world again.

]

No way the Bucs can run a consistent 3-4 with the size of their DL. I'm one who really believes one of the LB's used in place of one of the safeties in certain situations is a real possibility.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 22, 2007, 09:03:08 PM

Personally I don't buy the whole 3-4 thing myself. Do I think we will line up at time with Chuckwarah at a DE/OLB standing up? Sure I do. Do I think its a good idea to have guys play positions that they have never played before? No. Think about it. Are you really going to take a first year starter in Ruud and have him learn 2 schemes? Cato June could not play out there at OLB in a 3-4. Sure Black could, Winborn prolly could but you are taking a guy in Winborn who was let go in niner land because he hated the 3-4 and didn't buy into the system. Black is a rookie and he would be a nice guy to let lose off the edge in a 3-4 system.

I think we will feature the 3-4 some esp on 3rd and a favorable down and distance. We have the horses up front for the position in Carter, Hovan (could play end), Sims ( could be your nose), hell even Wymms could be a DE. But you have to think about dropping those OLB's into coverage some. I know Rice has done it before but lets be real about it. I can see Rice/Adams/Chuckwarah or Black all standing up and rushing in a 3-4 OLB system but I don't think its anywhere near to the extent that many are thinking. Someone mentioned 30 something percent and I would probably agree but I seriously doubt that we will run a 3-4 exclusively. If you line up with

RDE Carter
DT Simms
DT Hovan
DE Rice

Hell that there could be a base 3-4 or 4-3 package right there depending on Rice putting a hand down or standing up. I don't think it will be this big of a drastic change some are thinking. I think it will be good to give a differnet look, get young guys on the field (Chuck/Black) and give our defense a blow by changing in and out "parts"...

Baghead #2

gone

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 22, 2007, 09:13:25 PM

*blink*  *blinkblink* 

]

No way the Bucs can run a consistent 3-4 with the size of their DL.I'm one who really believes one of the LB's used in place of one of the safeties in certain situations is a real possibility.

And that certainly may happen.  But what we're looking for is pressure, and it's going to come from creative use of personnell.  We already saw the 3-4  last year at about 15-20%.  It's going to increase.  Passing downs are roughly 30% of downs, and that's where you'd see it, plus in a small portion (maybe 10%) of "running" and maybe a bit more (15-20%) of "mixed" downs. 

We're not talking about a wholesale change.  The primary need for big DT's in a 3-4 is to handle the run, you don't need big DT's to deal with the pass.  So a 4-3 base which throws the occasional 3-4 curve is what we're likely looking at on those downs where we expect runs.  On the passing downs is where we'd likely see more 3-4 with the occasional 4-3 curve.  We have the LB corps to do it now, and the DT/DEs.  The coverage would likely be the same, just rushing a LB in from a different spot on different occasions, so you'd have the same-ole Tampa 2 with a LB instead of a DT rushing. 

The speed in the LB corps right now makes them a threat rushing and in coverage  so out of a 3-4 we could be rushing one from an unexpected area and still be in our base coverage.  We could rush 2, or we could keep all 4 in coverage to catch someone offguard.  Or Blitz a CB and let a LB handle the CB duties that play (wouldn't do it regularly, but it can be handled every now and then).  But you get the idea.  We just don't have the people to make a dominating 4-3 any more.  What we're lacking in talent from the front 4 will need to be accounted for by creativity.

It just give more options, and it's not the end of a defense, just added wrinkles that are needed to stay competitive.  I don't get why some people seem downright offended by this idea.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: stop with the 3-4 business « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools