Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Backup won't satisfy Garcia « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

: May 24, 2007, 09:33:55 AM

Didn't see this posted, sorry if its a repost

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/22/Bucs/Backup_won_t_satisfy_.shtml

TAMPA - Jeff Garcia signed with the Eagles last year knowing full well Donovan McNabb would be the starting quarterback in Philadelphia.

What Garcia learned later is that sitting on the bench would drive him to utter misery.

"Even though we were winning, it was different being on the sideline, " Garcia said Monday while addressing a group of prominent local business leaders. "It wasn't anything I showed in the locker room or with my teammates. I wasn't a problem or anything. It's just that I wasn't having fun playing the game anymore. I was not enjoying it."

Chris Simms had better watch his back. Because based on Garcia's distaste for being a backup in Philadelphia, he has no intention of doing so in Tampa after joining the Bucs in March.

When Garcia became the starter after McNabb's season-ending injury in November, it was akin to being reborn. He went 5-1 as a starter and led the Eagles to the playoffs.

"I was resurrected last year, " Garcia said. "When I got back on the field, the game started to come back to me. I started having fun. I was starting to be a kid again. The players around me, the coaching staff around me, they trusted me. They believed in me."

Garcia, 37, spoke at length Monday about the many obstacles he overcame before becoming an NFL quarterback. He told members of the Circle of Influence - a group of local CEOs - about attending junior college because big schools didn't want him, about his Canadian Football League stint, about his days backing up the unflappable Steve Young in San Francisco.

But Garcia looked ahead as well, talking about the state of the Bucs and where he sees himself fitting in.

"As much as I'm a 37-year-old quarterback standing here who's not that big or fast, it doesn't matter. I don't even think about that, " he said. "I bring an emotion that is unmatched - except maybe by coach Jon Gruden. I know the starting job isn't given to me, but I plan to compete. I know I have what it takes to be the starting quarterback here."

Garcia won a CFL championship with Calgary, but he has never come close to winning a Super Bowl. Considering their 4-12 record last season, the Bucs wouldn't seem the ideal team to get him there any time soon. But Garcia sees progress.

"This team needed to improve the offensive line, and I think it made some major strides, " Garcia said, noting the signing of tackle Luke Petitgout and the drafting of Arron Sears in the second round. And Garcia touted the draft as a major step toward regaining the defense's dominance.

All the moves, he thinks, will bring the Bucs closer to where he wants to ultimately be.

"When people ask me what my greatest experience as a professional player has been, I have to be honest with them: My greatest achievement was winning a Grey Cup championship in Calgary, " Garcia said. "That's what I want to help achieve. I think that this team has the ability. There are guys here who have been there. This team can do what it wants to do."

bklynbucs11

Starter

#1 : May 24, 2007, 09:40:30 AM

Simms watch his back? Isn't it just about a lock that Garcia starts

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 24, 2007, 09:49:39 AM

with the vomiting that Simms displayed last year, yes it is a lock. If Simms wouldn't have played like Akili Smith I don't think we'd be having this disucssion but unfortunatly Simms proved who he is, a lowsy NFL QB.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 24, 2007, 09:54:04 AM

Simms needs to watch his back because that's Gradkowski about the take the backup job. There's no point in watching his front because Garcia is 20 lengths ahead.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 24, 2007, 10:21:11 AM

^
what he said

well stated

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 24, 2007, 10:23:12 AM

Garcia starts.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 24, 2007, 10:27:54 AM

Of course Garcia will start but who really cares because he won't be here in '08 and yet again we will be on the search for another QB.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 24, 2007, 10:30:35 AM

Of course Garcia will start but who really cares because he won't be here in '08 and yet again we will be on the search for another QB.

Maybe we will have a new coach and system, then Simms gets a shot.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 24, 2007, 12:46:32 PM

^^^^^^ And if we have a winning season then what? Were stuck in the same position.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 24, 2007, 01:51:36 PM

Maybe we will have a new coach and system, then Simms gets a shot.

Rabble rouser - this coach and this system with a decent Oline, a qb with a clue and receivers who can catch the ball. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 24, 2007, 08:33:08 PM

Of course Garcia will start but who really cares
Anybody who cares about '07.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 24, 2007, 11:35:02 PM

May the best man start.

BAttle it out...if Simms gets the nod, and he stinks, Garcia comes in.  No harm, no foul.  I mean, they are getting paid about the same, so there is NO PRESSURE to start either one, IMO.

It is about a true of a competition at QB as there can be.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 25, 2007, 12:15:06 PM

What boid said ^^^^^^^^^, best man wins. If both fail then Gruden its on you.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 25, 2007, 01:08:18 PM

I'm happy Garcia won't settle. You need that kind of hunger from the positional candidates. And even though I think he does have an edge going in, he won't be handed the job if he doesn't show something in August. It's not like the Bucs have jettisoned Simms..

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 25, 2007, 01:21:44 PM

I'm happy Garcia won't settle. You need that kind of hunger from the positional candidates. And even though I think he does have an edge going in, he won't be handed the job if he doesn't show something in August.  It's not like the Bucs have jettisoned Simms..

Not yet but if Plummer turns up for TC the rumors are Simms will be the odd man out.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Backup won't satisfy Garcia « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools