Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Backup won't satisfy Garcia « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JC510

Practice Squad

#30 : May 25, 2007, 08:02:05 PM

Just one more thing. If Simms was "just along for the ride" and "all he did well was not lose games for the team" then how do you guys explain these drives...

1-10-TB46   (1:52) C.Simms pass to J.Galloway to WAS 41 for 13 yards (P.Prioleau). Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.
1-10-WAS41   (1:28) C.Simms pass incomplete to J.Galloway.
2-10-WAS41   (1:15) C.Simms pass to E.Shepherd to WAS 30 for 11 yards (M.Washington).
1-10-WAS30   (1:05) C.Simms spiked the ball to stop the clock.
2-10-WAS30   (1:05) C.Simms pass to E.Shepherd for 30 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
(Kick formation)
PENALTY on WAS, Defensive Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced between downs.
(Kick formation) M.Bryant extra point is Blocked (W.Harris), Center-D.Moore, Holder-J.Bidwell.
PENALTY on WAS, Defensive Offside, 1 yard, enforced at WAS 2 - No Play.
TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. M.Alstott rushes up the middle. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS. Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.
WAS 35   TB 36,   Plays: 5   Yards: 54   Possession: 0:54.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 07:30
1-10-TB29   (7:30) C.Williams left end to TB 37 for 8 yards (K.Brooking, M.Boley).
2-2-TB37   (6:53) C.Williams right tackle to TB 41 for 4 yards (P.Kerney).
1-10-TB41   (6:15) C.Simms pass to M.Clayton to ATL 44 for 15 yards (B.Scott).
1-10-ATL44   (5:32) C.Simms pass incomplete to J.Galloway.
2-10-ATL44   (5:28) C.Simms pass to A.Becht to ATL 32 for 12 yards (D.Williams).
1-10-ATL32   (4:45) C.Williams up the middle to ATL 26 for 6 yards (M.Boley).
2-4-ATL26   (4:18) C.Williams up the middle to ATL 21 for 5 yards (Ch.Davis).
1-10-ATL21   (3:41) M.Alstott up the middle to ATL 15 for 6 yards (R.Coleman).
2-4-ATL15   (3:08) M.Alstott left tackle to ATL 17 for -2 yards (K.Carpenter).
3-6-ATL17   (2:43) C.Simms pass to C.Williams to ATL 9 for 8 yards (D.Williams).
1-9-ATL9   (2:00) C.Williams left tackle for 9 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
M.Bryant extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Moore, Holder-J.Bidwell.
TB 27   ATL 27,   Plays: 11   Yards: 71   Possession: 5:41.

1-10-TB35   (4:10) C.Simms pass incomplete to C.Williams.
2-10-TB35   (4:03) C.Simms pass to J.Galloway to TB 49 for 14 yards (K.Brooking).
1-10-TB49   (3:32) C.Williams up the middle to ATL 37 for 14 yards (B.Scott).
1-10-ATL37   (2:53) C.Simms pass to A.Smith to ATL 31 for 6 yards (A.Edwards).
2-4-ATL31   (2:19) C.Williams right tackle to ATL 29 for 2 yards (K.Brooking).
3-2-ATL29   (2:00) C.Williams left tackle to ATL 25 for 4 yards (J.Babineaux, K.Brooking).
1-10-ATL25   (1:29) C.Simms pass to C.Williams to ATL 15 for 10 yards (M.Boley).
1-10-ATL15   (:50) C.Simms pass incomplete to C.Williams (J.Babineaux).
2-10-ATL15   (:44) C.Simms pass incomplete to I.Hilliard.
3-10-ATL15   (:39) C.Simms pass to J.Galloway to ATL 6 for 9 yards (J.Webster). just short
4-1-ATL6   (:31) C.Williams left end for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
M.Bryant extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Moore, Holder-J.Bidwell.
ATL 24   TB 24,   Plays: 11   Yards: 65   Possession: 3:53.

Maybe it's just but those look like pretty important comeback drives in crunch time.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 25, 2007, 08:16:02 PM

Guess you missed the first Redskins game?

You're hanging your hat on one game? Wow, interesting. There's too many negatives that outweigh the positves with Simms. I haven't seen a QB get that many batted balls in my lifetime of watching football. It's been a long time since I've seen a QB throw 7 ints to 1 TD. Simms slow decision-making and arm release make him an easy QB to defend, too easy for my taste.

Guess my standards are to high...

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#32 : May 25, 2007, 08:23:42 PM

Keep.. what Gruden runs is BARELY an offense. It is outdated at this point and has been picked up on by every decent defense. We now have a rag arm QB that can throw on the run and can throw the ball 25 yards down field. We are still screwed for 08 and beyond.

JC510

Practice Squad

#33 : May 25, 2007, 08:26:05 PM

Guess you missed the first Redskins game?

You're hanging your hat on one game? Wow, interesting. There's too many negatives that outweigh the positves with Simms. I haven't seen a QB get that many batted balls in my lifetime of watching football. It's been a long time since I've seen a QB throw 7 ints to 1 TD. Simms slow decision-making and arm release make him an easy QB to defend, too easy for my taste.

Guess my standards are to high...

Yea, I'm just hanging my hat on that one game. I just posted links to those other games for no reason. Maybe, just maybe, he was an easy QB to defend because we put an offensive line of Anthony Davis, Jeb Terry, John Wade, Sean Mahan, Kenyatta Walker out there against the BALTIMORE RAVENS.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#34 : May 25, 2007, 08:55:21 PM

...he has "star wars" capabilities if the opportunity presents itself...

OK, WTF is "star wars" capabilities?

He throws the ball then waves his hand at the DB, "This isn't the ball you are looking for"  ????

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 25, 2007, 08:57:34 PM

I'm also in the minority that doesn't think Simms is nearly as bad as many make him out to be.  No one could have survived behind that line last season.  In 2005 it was his first year as a starter.  He looked great at times and he looked bad at times, but you could see the talent.  He had struggles just like any other first time starter does.  He has only started 15 games for crying out loud and the games he played well in he played well enough to think there is a chance he'll be pretty good.  I think it's way too soon to write this kid off.

JC510

Practice Squad

#36 : May 25, 2007, 09:10:55 PM

...he has "star wars" capabilities if the opportunity presents itself...

OK, what is "star wars" capabilities?

He throws the ball then waves his hand at the DB, "This isn't the ball you are looking for"  ????

The first Redskins game. His three 4th qtr comebacks and that throw to Edell Shepherd in the playoffs that only a handful of QBs in the league could have made.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#37 : May 25, 2007, 10:02:43 PM

I know you guys love stats, so let me throw a couple out for you. CHris Simms, a 27 year old 4 year vetern, who has sat for yeras under some damn good WCO tutelage in Brad Johnson and Brian Griese, has the following career stats in 19 games (15 starts):

59% completion percentage, 3100 passing yards, 12 TD & 1 rush TD / 17int / 4 lost fumbles, QB rating - 71.2. Win Loss - 6 wins, 9 losses

Bruce GRadkowski, a 6th round ROOKIE who hadn't taken a single snap with 1st team, and wasn't scheduled to take a snap in 2006, has the following stats (with by the way, a FAR less productive supporting cast):

12 games: 54% completion, 1661 passing (161 rushing), 9 TD's / 9ints / 6 lost fumbles - QB rating 65.9. Win Loss - 3 wins, 8 losses.

Thats worse, agreed. But We're comparing a 6th round rookie QB to a talented son of a subperbowl winning QB, and someome whose has 2 yeras of learning and tutelage, and a functioning Caddy + solid O-line play in his "good" season. And yet, AHalf the people still believe in Simms - while Gradkowski has officially been written off as a lifetime backup and NO ONE believes (except me, I absolutely do) he can be a starter. Talk about being hypocrites.

And the only reason people feel this way, the ONLY reason, is because Simms is 4 inches taller and can throw the ball 15 yards farther. Ignore the fact that he folds under pressure, has terrible mechanics for a 5th year guy, still can't make a second read to save his life, gets balls batted down, and has no leadership presence. GRad's got better mechanics (although he's raw, and his "deep ball problems" have been DOCUMENTED as being heavily related to throwing technique, not arm strength), DOES know how to make second reads, which is reflective in his lack of INTs for a rookie, gets less batted balls as a 6'1 guy than the 6'5 Simms, is more mobile, absrobs criticism better and looks like a better leader out there. Not to mention, has shown more progress to this point as a ROOKIE (who by the way, put up stats that were roughly on average if not slightly above for rookies) than SImms has in 4 seasons.

BUT, because SImms is 4 inches taller, and can throw the ball 15 yards farther, he gets the benefit right. Are you frickin kidding? And PS, if we're going to bring up the "best game" comparison, lets.

GRad: 1st new Orleans:

20 / 31 - (64.5% completion) for 225 and 2 TD's to 0 ints with a 108 QB rating. ANd if you recall that game, 3 of the incompletions were dead drops (including the one by Galloway on the last drive where he would have CRUISED for a TD, GRad would have put up 300 yards, Tampa wins the game, GRad would have WON rookie of the week, and about half the people who think he has no skills would have said - but LOOK what he can do, look at the NO game). Oh, and not to mention 3 more incompletions are chalked up to the most biased officiating I have EVER seen in a football game.

SImms:

Washington: 15/29 (51.7% completion) 273 yards, 3 TD's, 0 int, 120 passer rating. Higher passer rating yes, but I'm more concerned about that 51.7% competion - odd for a guy who everyone says is "more accurate" than GRad.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#38 : May 26, 2007, 03:18:40 PM

I know you guys love stats, so let me throw a couple out for you. CHris Simms, a 27 year old 4 year vetern, who has sat for yeras under some damn good WCO tutelage in Brad Johnson and Brian Griese, has the following career stats in 19 games (15 starts):

59% completion percentage, 3100 passing yards, 12 TD & 1 rush TD / 17int / 4 lost fumbles, QB rating - 71.2. Win Loss - 6 wins, 9 losses

Bruce GRadkowski, a 6th round ROOKIE who hadn't taken a single snap with 1st team, and wasn't scheduled to take a snap in 2006, has the following stats (with by the way, a FAR less productive supporting cast):

12 games: 54% completion, 1661 passing (161 rushing), 9 TD's / 9ints / 6 lost fumbles - QB rating 65.9. Win Loss - 3 wins, 8 losses.

Thats worse, agreed. But We're comparing a 6th round rookie QB to a talented son of a subperbowl winning QB, and someome whose has 2 yeras of learning and tutelage, and a functioning Caddy + solid O-line play in his "good" season. And yet, AHalf the people still believe in Simms - while Gradkowski has officially been written off as a lifetime backup and NO ONE believes (except me, I absolutely do) he can be a starter. Talk about being hypocrites.

And the only reason people feel this way, the ONLY reason, is because Simms is 4 inches taller and can throw the ball 15 yards farther. Ignore the fact that he folds under pressure, has terrible mechanics for a 5th year guy, still can't make a second read to save his life, gets balls batted down, and has no leadership presence. GRad's got better mechanics (although he's raw, and his "deep ball problems" have been DOCUMENTED as being heavily related to throwing technique, not arm strength), DOES know how to make second reads, which is reflective in his lack of INTs for a rookie, gets less batted balls as a 6'1 guy than the 6'5 Simms, is more mobile, absrobs criticism better and looks like a better leader out there. Not to mention, has shown more progress to this point as a ROOKIE (who by the way, put up stats that were roughly on average if not slightly above for rookies) than SImms has in 4 seasons.

BUT, because SImms is 4 inches taller, and can throw the ball 15 yards farther, he gets the benefit right. Are you frickin kidding? And PS, if we're going to bring up the "best game" comparison, lets.

GRad: 1st new Orleans:

20 / 31 - (64.5% completion) for 225 and 2 TD's to 0 ints with a 108 QB rating. ANd if you recall that game, 3 of the incompletions were dead drops (including the one by Galloway on the last drive where he would have CRUISED for a TD, GRad would have put up 300 yards, Tampa wins the game, GRad would have WON rookie of the week, and about half the people who think he has no skills would have said - but LOOK what he can do, look at the NO game). Oh, and not to mention 3 more incompletions are chalked up to the most biased officiating I have EVER seen in a football game.

SImms:

Washington: 15/29 (51.7% completion) 273 yards, 3 TD's, 0 int, 120 passer rating. Higher passer rating yes, but I'm more concerned about that 51.7% competion - odd for a guy who everyone says is "more accurate" than GRad.

There is a big differance in 6-0 and 6-4 and being able to throw a 20 yard pass on a rope and throwing a duck. Troy Smith has a strong accurate arm (better than Grad's) played on a top team, can run , played against good teams, and look at what those 4 inches did to him.  Only 1 QB was taken after Grad's, and lets face it Gruden has only had 1 QB that he actually liked and was any good. You may think Gruden knew something that no one else knew, but he didn't he liked that Grad's could run. I know huggers don't want to see that, but its true with Grad's and its true with Plummer.

gone

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 26, 2007, 03:49:58 PM

Yeah, that's right.  Jon, an NFL head coach, doesn't care about a QB's ability to throw, just that he can run.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.

T

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 26, 2007, 06:02:22 PM

I wanna see Simms start because, Garcia is here so Gruden doesn't get canned next year. Garcia maybe has 2 productive years in this league left. Simms needs to start or this franchise is in big trouble. It's up to the coaching staff and Simms to work on his mechanics,timing and seeing the throwing lanes better. May the best QB win so we can at least go 8-8

gone

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 26, 2007, 07:54:30 PM

If Simms starts it's because he finally got his head out of his butt and blew away everyone else.  That would be good.

If Garcia starts it means we have a bit of time to find a better QB -- and without all the pressure to find other players maybe we'll actually do that.

Garcia > Simms, so thats nice for the short term, but we need to eventually find someone to be the guy for a while.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 27, 2007, 02:49:30 AM

bklynbucs11 , good post. I agree, everyone wants to write off Grads. but the truth is he did OK for a lamb thrown to the wolves far too soon.

I think, given 2 or 3 years of coaching/learning the system (that Simms got and Grads didn't) Grads could be abreakout type player in '09.  Who knows, he may even develope into a franchise type QB given enough time (and a decent O-line).  He is not a Brady or Marino, but those guys only come around every couple decades.  Bradshaw was no Marino or Brady either, but with a top notch Oline, a good running game and a top 5 defense, even a good ol boy from So.Miss can get a hand full of rings.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#43 : May 27, 2007, 03:05:04 PM

Yeah, that's right. Jon, an NFL head coach, doesn't care about a QB's ability to throw, just that he can run. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.

Well keep on overlooking the FACT that Plummer has proven that is is not accurate 57% completion %age and throws an INT for every TD, yet Gruden went after him. I suppose it just happens that he is a good scrambler right?
I wish I could just look beyond reason and blindly think that Gruden is the bestest coach in the whole wide world and knows more than anyone else. Genious..GENIOUS I say, he took a 6th round QB that nobody else wanted and just wait, 5 years from now he will make Tom Brady looks like Heath Shuler...
There is a pattern there, I think he cares about how a QB throws, but his main priority seems to be how he can scramble.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 27, 2007, 03:30:08 PM

I wanna see Simms start because, Garcia is here so Gruden doesn't get canned next year. Garcia maybe has 2 productive years in this league left. Simms needs to start or this franchise is in big trouble. It's up to the coaching staff and Simms to work on his mechanics,timing and seeing the throwing lanes better. May the best QB win so we can at least go 8-8

Simms starting is better for the franchise than Garcia - much better. I just don't think that's gonna happen.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Backup won't satisfy Garcia « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools