Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Just a sidenote on Rich McKay « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: May 24, 2007, 10:34:39 AM

He made Keyshawn Johnson the highest paid WR in the league.
He made Simeon Rice the highest paid DE in the league.
He made Michael Vick the highest paid QB in the league.

He sure is generous, maybe to a fault.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 24, 2007, 10:53:21 AM

Actually I believe Rice had the richest contract for a defensive player in league history until Nate Clements a couple months ago.

Ovie Mughelli just signed the richest contract for a fullback in league history.

And don't forget the seven year extension Gramatica got before the 2002 season (He would fall off the map in 2003 and is now on his third team).

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 24, 2007, 10:53:26 AM

Don't forget about the fullback he made the highest paid FB in the league.... who's never made a Pro Bowl.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 24, 2007, 10:57:16 AM

Don't forget about the fullback he made the highest paid FB in the league.... who's never made a Pro Bowl.

I did.
The Bucs are lucky.
The foulgoons, not so much.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 24, 2007, 11:00:00 AM

CAN WE PLEASE FORGET ABOUT RICH MCKAY!?!?!

You guys sound like jilted boyfriends (or in some cases, girlfriends).

IT HAS BEEN YEARS!  GET OVER IT!

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 24, 2007, 11:11:45 AM

IT HAS BEEN YEARS! GET OVER IT!

Relax Boid, it's the slow season and I find it interesting that McKay overpays players with character issues to that degree.
Curious to see how long it takes Arthur Blank to figure out he made a mistake.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 24, 2007, 11:40:24 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Rice was worth every penny of that deal?

rebeccajill13

Second String
#7 : May 24, 2007, 11:43:41 AM

Nope.

But at the same time, I know not everyone thinks that.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 24, 2007, 11:57:18 AM

Not at all Lee...Rice was a cornerstone of our 2002 and 2005 defense and still very much is when healthy.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

Huey Freeman

Starter
#9 : May 24, 2007, 11:59:57 AM

The Rice contract was a good move. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 24, 2007, 12:03:01 PM

Glad to see others here who agree.  Rice gets hated on in this forum a lot and I can never figure out why.

gone

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 24, 2007, 02:02:21 PM

Keeping Rice here? Good Move.

Paying him more than any other Defensive player?  Not so much.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 24, 2007, 02:09:11 PM

Glad to see others here who agree.  Rice gets hated on in this forum a lot and I can never figure out why.

I think a lot of people see that he doesn't always give his best effort.  Plus there's just a lot of hate'n going on in general .

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#13 : May 24, 2007, 02:32:07 PM

IT HAS BEEN YEARS! GET OVER IT!

part of the issue is that it has TAKEN the bucs years to outgrow the financial mess rich left the bucs in. sure it has been 4 years, but its just now that the bucs have found themselves clear of most of rich's contracts.

and the further point is the "rich" contracts that rich has given other mediocre players (vick, mughelli).

its not unfair for 'buc fan' to wallow over the mckay era .. sure he's been gone, but the effects have persisted till now. if we lament him 5 years from now, then its probably just hating. but until this year, its reasonable, yes?

looking ahead, i salivate at the thought of him desecrating the ATL franchise with ridiculous contracts.

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#14 : May 24, 2007, 02:44:45 PM

We all know that the "richest contract" ever thing is often a red herring due to vastly inflated latter contract years. Sim is one of the few that has worked out one of those "richest ever" deals to its finality (if he survives this year).

But people forget that Rice played for us in 2001 for a song ($1M). According to the USA player salary info, which includes bonuses and the NFLPA salary only data, Rice made $34.5M between 2001-2006.

Michael Strahan made $46.7M in that same time period, including a whopping $20.7M in 2002 alone. So, I must conclude that Sim's reign as "richest ever" lasted a very brief time since Strahan did his deal in the same year (2002).

My other conclusion is that Rice got basically market value in his deal, less if you think his play equates to Strahan's.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Just a sidenote on Rich McKay « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools