Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lewis: Quit pickin' on us! « previous next »
Page: 1

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
: May 25, 2007, 10:10:17 AM

OK now we know the real truth, since Marvin Lewis has been kind enough to share it with us. Whats really happening is that the Cincinnati police are profiling Bengals players.  Every time a Bengal commits a crime, the police are right there to catch them.  This is not fair. Aren't some other people out there the police can pick on?  Can't a football player get away with a crime once in a while without a police officer being RIGHT THERE on the spot doing their job?  Can't they do their job somewhere else?  To think that our tax paying citizens are paying for these police to go around and waste their time arresting football players committing crimes when they could be out there arresting non-civic minded criminals who don't contribute anything to the city's football team.

Its just too bad that Rich McKay wasn't allowed to make his original hire. The character of the Bucs would be so much better if McKay was in charge.

MARVIN APOLOGIZES FOR "PROFILING" REMARKS

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has apologized (via a statement released by the team) for comments from Wednesday suggesting that police in the Cincinnati area are profiling Bengals players.

"Yesterday, I gave a radio interview and made some comments that did not illustrate the high regard I have for the Cincinnati Police Department," Lewis said.  "I apologize that what I said did not reflect my true feelings."

Our guess?  Marvin realized that accusing the cops of profiling Bengals players was the most effective way to ensure that they will.

Marvin also realized, we believe, that he was stoking racial tensions in a city that has a history of fragile relations in this regard.  Of course, he's now trying to say that he wasn't.

"At no point did I say or mean to imply that these issues had anything to do with race," Lewis said.  "Broadcast comments to the contrary are simply not true.  When I spoke of our players being perhaps more subject to scrutiny than others, I was referring to their standing as public figures."

Bull, we say.  The word "profiling" implies that decision are made based on superficial characteristics.  In a city that is far bigger than the "small place" that Lewis makes it out to be, players from the local professional football team can be "profiled" only if (as a reader pointed out this afternoon) they are wearing their helmets (or, in the case of Chris Henry, their jerseys) while driving around town.

Besides, "profiling" is one of those code words that imply racially-based motives, regardless of whether the word "racial" is plopped down in front of it.

So if Lewis is now falling all over himself to say that he didn't mean what he said, why did he say it?  Does he say other things that he doesn't mean?  Isn't the ability to control of the connection between his brain and his tongue part of the gig?

We think that Lewis meant what he said, and that we wouldn't have heard a peep about it if someone in the organization hadn't been reminded that a team that plays for free in a stadium fully funded by the public should not be criticizing the public servants who get paid far less to put their lives and limbs in jeopardy every day.

The end result?  We think that Marvin is now officially on the hot seat, and he could be the former coach of the Bengals by January of 2008.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 25, 2007, 10:39:41 AM

Well, I think we all know that the cops WERE profiling.  I don't know about RACIAL profiling, but while it may seem ludicrous that a cop pull someone over for not signaling properly, if I were a cop and I saw a Bengal (who, let's face it, most likely has done something worse, given their history), I would look for a reason to pull them over.  It just makes sense.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 25, 2007, 11:30:32 AM

Lets not forget Marvin Lewis was the guy Rich Mckay hand picked as the replacement for Tony Dungy and the Glazers turned him down.

Mora and now Lewis.  2 of the most undisciplined coaches and teams in the NFL.  But, people will stay say Mckay builds his teams only with angels.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 25, 2007, 10:13:37 PM

How do you recognize every football player in a car? I mean, unless someone is paying them to go out and catch Bengal players... Unlikely but I've seen crazy stuff

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 25, 2007, 11:19:14 PM

Well I lived in Cincinnati for a couple years.  There are problems between the police and the black community.  But lets examine the arrests.

Mathhias Askew - resisting arrest after he refused to move his illegally PARKED car or to identify himself.  He was eventually tasered.

Chris Henry was pulled over for speeding in Northern Kentucky, and it turns out he had a suspended license and no insurance.  That may be near Cincinnati, but different cops.  June 3rd he was pulled over by a state trooper for drunk driving and failed the breathalizer.   So that cop wasn't a Cincinnati cop either.  Henry had a couple other miscelaneous run ins with the law prior to that.

Odell Thurman was arrested for drunk driving over twice the legal limit.  It was the Cincinnati and Ohio state troopers at a checkpoint, but I'm sure they set up the checkpoint just to catch Bengals.  Chris Henry was one of the passengers.

Eric Steinbach was arrested for boating under the influence, and he's white.  "Hey boat police keep an eye out for any Bengal players and pull em over!"  I'm sure that was the directive.

Frostee Rucker was arrested for spousal battery.

AJ Nicholson - Burglary and Grand Theft. 

Reggie McNeal - resisting arrest.  He pushed an off duty officer trying to get into a night club in Houston after it was closed.

Deltha ONeal - driving while intoxicated.  Arrested by the state police.

Jonathan Joseph - possession of marijuana, again in Northern Kentucky.

So where is all this profiling being done by the Cincinnati police?  There isn't one time when they pulled over a Bengal player except for the checkpoint and the illegally parked car the guy refused to move.

#5 : May 25, 2007, 11:20:24 PM

they probably all occupy the whole jail

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 26, 2007, 02:27:59 AM

Well, Chris Henry was arrested for illegal possession of a concealed firearm, while wearing his own jersey.  But that was in Orlando.

Maybe, law enforcement nationwide is targeting Bengal Players.  Interpol has the Cinncinati Bengals on a watch list between Hamas and Red October.

bbs

Rookie

#7 : May 26, 2007, 02:47:07 AM

Another thread to **CENSORED** about McKay!

Who'd have thunk it?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 26, 2007, 04:24:05 AM

Another thread to dog about McKay!

Who'd have thunk it?

About 90% of this thread has nothing to do with McKay, so are you just stirring up "feces" or did you read something I didn't.

P.S. If you are stirring up "feces" OK , just give us a wink so we know, then we can bring out the fecal immersion blender.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#9 : May 26, 2007, 03:00:18 PM

Well I lived in Cincinnati for a couple years. There are problems between the police and the black community. But lets examine the arrests.

Mathhias Askew - resisting arrest after he refused to move his illegally PARKED car or to identify himself. He was eventually tasered.

Chris Henry was pulled over for speeding in Northern Kentucky, and it turns out he had a suspended license and no insurance. That may be near Cincinnati, but different cops. June 3rd he was pulled over by a state trooper for drunk driving and failed the breathalizer. So that cop wasn't a Cincinnati cop either. Henry had a couple other miscelaneous run ins with the law prior to that.

Odell Thurman was arrested for drunk driving over twice the legal limit. It was the Cincinnati and Ohio state troopers at a checkpoint, but I'm sure they set up the checkpoint just to catch Bengals. Chris Henry was one of the passengers.

Eric Steinbach was arrested for boating under the influence, and he's white. "Hey boat police keep an eye out for any Bengal players and pull em over!" I'm sure that was the directive.

Frostee Rucker was arrested for spousal battery.

AJ Nicholson - Burglary and Grand Theft.

Reggie McNeal - resisting arrest. He pushed an off duty officer trying to get into a night club in Houston after it was closed.

Deltha ONeal - driving while intoxicated. Arrested by the state police.

Jonathan Joseph - possession of marijuana, again in Northern Kentucky.

So where is all this profiling being done by the Cincinnati police? There isn't one time when they pulled over a Bengal player except for the checkpoint and the illegally parked car the guy refused to move.

Most of those were traffic violations, I don't think it was profiling, but it does seem like a lot of black people do get pulled over, I and not black and I have been pulled over 2 times in my life, both times for speeding and one of those times I was given a warning going 65 in a 45 at 2am, and the other one I got a ticket for going 105 in a 55, I was not even asked to get off the bike, neither time did they even mention searching me or the car or the bike. I have been pulled over while in the passenger side of my college roomates car who happend to be black 4 times in 5 years, all at night and 3 times asked if he can search the car, and all times asked if we were drinking, 1 time he was given a ticket for going 9 MPH over the limit, one for not stopping at a YIELD sign, according to him we slowed down but didn't really yield though we were the only ones on the road. Once was because some other black guy car jacked a Camaro  and though we were in a SUV he wanted to make sure.
I think a black guy in a nice car at night seem to get the police curious. A white guy in a nice car didn't seem to cause concern, a white guy on an Italian bike going 105 at 3am didn't seem to warrent curiosity either other than to give a ticket. SO there is something to it, but who cares about the Bengals, and why is Rich McKay so popular, its like he is an ex girlfriend who dumped you. Get over him people.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 26, 2007, 06:20:52 PM

Yes they were mostly traffic violations, but if I'm not mistaken Lewis's comment was about the Cincinnati police, not the Northern Kentucky police or the State Police.   Its not like there is anything to do in Covington except there are a couple strip clubs.   

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lewis: Quit pickin' on us! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools