Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Not So Proud Buccaneer History, Why? « previous next »
Page: 1

T

Hall of Famer

: May 26, 2007, 05:54:39 PM

Why has the history of our beloved Buccaneers been so dreadful? Well, I got to thinking about how teams like the 49er's,Cowboys,Raiders,Steelers and Giants were great teams for such long periods of time. Then I began to wonder when was the Salary Cap Implemented? Offcially the Cap was first put into place in March of 1994, the NFL's new year begins in March every year. So the first season effected by the cap was the 1994-95 Season that ended with the Steve Young led 49er's winning the Super Bowl. Living in Florida and being a lifelong Bucs fan, I've been wondering why the Buccaneer franchise has struggled throughout the years. I've come up with a couple of reasons why I believe the Buccaneer franchise struggled to be consistently competitive for years.After considering many different options why the Buccaneer history isn't very historic, I've come up with two very good reasons why the Buccaneer franchise struggled.Ownerships lack of desire to exert all resources to field a winning team and an unbalanced NFL with no salary cap.

Hugh Culverhouse was the wrong owner for a expansion franchise. Culverhouse, didn't have the football knowledge to run a successful franchise and had no business owning a NFL team. He wanted to turn a profit while putting very little money into the onfield product. Yes, Culverhouse along with John McKay did experience some early success with playoff appeareances and a NFC Championship game appeareance.But if Culverhouse had the desire to win, he would have exerted all his resources to continue the early success of the team. But unfortunately Culverhouse was an owner that wanted to make profit and did not want to take care of his employees. So the team spiraled into their losing ways and it took his death to let the Buccaneers escape the NFL cellar. Like most Tampa proffesional sports franchises, the first owner of the Bucs failed to field a winner, ultimately out of greed. Thanks to the Glazer family who not only is dedicated to fielding a winning football team, they do many great things for our community.

No salary cap.When the Buccaneers entered the NFL in 1976 there was no salary cap.Letting teams like the 49er's,Cowboys,Steelers,Giants,Raiders,and Bills dominate the NFL for long periods of time. Teams in the 1960's and 70's got to dominate the landscape of Pro Football, with an unfair advantage of keeping their best players for nearly their entire careers. If the Buccaneers in their early years had a owner dedicated to winning and a NFL wide salary cap, they may have a more proud history. The NFL dynasties of the 60's and 70's would be erased if the entire NFL was on a even playing field. Since the salary cap was instituted the fabled Cowboys,49er's and Steelers have all combined for three championships, before the salary cap when those teams could dominate talent they won a combined 12 championships. The Cowboys have only oe playoff victory to their credit since winning their last Super Bowl in 1996. How would these teams have fared if there was a NFL Salary Cap from the inception of the league? Or if free agency was instituted earlier? I like to run into fans of teams who claim their past as bragging rights, the past of an unbalanced playing field. As a Buccaneer die hard I can only dream what our history would've been like if the NFL would have setup a salary cap sooner. It makes you appreciate, the Buccaneer organazation in it's current state a class organazation dedicated to winning.

It's a long NFL offseason, so why do you think the history of the Buccaneers was unsuccessful?

Below I have listed all the Super Bowl winners since the salary cap was started.In my opinion these are the only Super Bowl Champions that matter.

XXIX 29 January 1995 San Francisco 49ers  49-26 San Diego Chargers
XXX 28 January 1996 Dallas Cowboys 27-17 Pittsburgh Steelers
XXXI 26 January 1997 Green Bay Packers 35-21 New England Patriots
XXXII 25 January 1998 Denver Broncos 31-24 Green Bay Packers
XXXIII 31 January 1999 Denver Broncos  34-19 Atlanta Falcons
XXXIV 30 January 2000 St. Louis Rams 23-16 Tennessee Titans
XXXV 28 January 2001 Baltimore Ravens 34-7 New York Giants
XXXVI 3 February 2002 New England Patriots 20-17 St. Louis
XXXVII 26 January 2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 48-21 Oakland Raiders
XXXVIII 1 February 2004 New England Patriots  32-29 Carolina Panthers
XXXIX 6 February 2005 New England Patriots  24-21 Philadelphia Eagles
XL 5 February 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers 21-10 Seattle Seahawks
XLI 4 February 2007 Indianapolis Colts 29-17 Chicago Bears

alstott40

Pro Bowler

#1 : May 26, 2007, 06:54:39 PM

I believe the 76' Bucs should be inshrined for this reason!  Bottom of the barrel, they didnt even have a chance.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 26, 2007, 08:02:57 PM

Last week I was looking at the list of the winning SB teams and was surprised that there are only 16 winning teams.  All the more reason to be proud of our win in what is a rarefied group given the number of years SB games have been played. Some teams have more than one win, of course.  We are also very forotunate that tthe Glazers were and are the class act we needed and deserved then and now as a community and as fans.  I can't help but believe that the taste of one SB wiin gives you an appetite for more of the same.  To play at that level and dominate, the way we dominated Oakland, was both heady and addictive.  I think within the next three years our team will evolve into a SB winning group again.  It seems as though we are getting fundamental and talented people and coaches back here.  I'd really love to see Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber with another ring.  Not to mention Gruden and Allen and US kids too!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 26, 2007, 10:13:36 PM

I'm not a fan of free agency.   I liked it better when players stuck with one team their entire career.   It made it so you could be loyal to your players.   I hate the way that one year you hate a guy on another team, yet he signs with your team the next year and you're supposed to love the guy all of a sudden.    Culverhouse was a horror story of an owner.   But I think had owners like the Glazers owned the Bucs back then, we could have won even prior to free agency and the salary cap.

watson

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 27, 2007, 07:25:00 AM

The worst thing that happened to the early Buc teams was winning the division and being one win away from the Super Bowl in 1979.  Culverhouse was a tax attorney and he was all about money.  When they won that year it re-enforced his belief that they could win on the cheap.  This led to the famed Doug Williams departure and the division of the club house.  From there he tried to bring coaches like Lemman Bennett and Ray Perkins and then not give them the  infrastructure of scouts and personnel people that would provide the players needed to win.  Although many frown at the name "Bo Jackson" it is hard to blame him for what he did after seeing how the Bucs were organized back then and knowing Culverhouse's reputation.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 27, 2007, 09:38:38 AM

It's a long NFL offseason, so why do you think the history of the Buccaneers was unsuccessful?

Its because of the Creamsickle.  Next.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#6 : May 27, 2007, 09:52:07 AM

I blame it on 2 things. The way the NFL treated the Buccaneers and Seahawks as expansion teams and Hugh Culverhouse.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 27, 2007, 10:01:33 AM

Hugh *spit* Culverhouse is the biggest reason. There's a reason Cincy sucked for so long with the Browns and why ARI with the Bidwells and DET with the Fords also stink.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#8 : May 27, 2007, 10:39:19 AM

I'm not a fan of free agency.   I liked it better when players stuck with one team their entire career.   It made it so you could be loyal to your players.   I hate the way that one year you hate a guy on another team, yet he signs with your team the next year and you're supposed to love the guy all of a sudden.    Culverhouse was a horror story of an owner.   But I think had owners like the Glazers owned the Bucs back then, we could have won even prior to free agency and the salary cap.
You do realize though without free agency, no SuperBowl trophy in 2002?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 27, 2007, 10:58:05 AM

Maybe not in 2002, but eventually we would have won one with the Glazers as owners.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#10 : May 27, 2007, 11:04:22 AM

Maybe not in 2002, but eventually we would have won one with the Glazers as owners.
One would like to hope. But I hated free agency at first, but I notice a lot more players want to remain with their original teams.

T

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 27, 2007, 01:02:12 PM

I think Free Agency has made sports intresting. Also, we as fans should be loyal to the organazation and not to one paticular player.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 27, 2007, 01:28:18 PM

Interesting tidbit, Culverhouse did not have controlling interest in the bucs until Jan 79 when he bought out Marvin Warner there was only one more playoff year after that under Culverhouse.

Notable Culverhouse moves Leeman Bennet replaces McKay. Bennet beats out Spurrier.
Culverhouse picks fellow Bama alum Ray Perkins over Bill Parcells.
First ever Buc free agency signing Hardy Nickerson!

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Not So Proud Buccaneer History, Why? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools