Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bucs Want To Add An Indoor Practice Facility « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucs1

Practice Squad
: May 27, 2007, 01:57:12 PM

I hate the article because it's just another TBO article that bashes the Bucs, but it said that the Bucs are trying to add an indoor practice facility which would be pretty cool to have.  I bolded the important parts of the article.

From TBO.com: http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBLGIKH52F.html

What's The Difference? With Bucs, We Still Don't Know

Who knew finding an answer to a seemingly simple question would turn out to be more elusive than uncovering Osama bin Laden's mailing address?

This involved trying to wheedle information out of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Let's put it this way: J.D. Salinger is more chatty.

It seems the Bucs want the public to pony up $12 million to build a new practice facility in addition to the practice facility the team has at its deluxe bunker on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

These hotsy-totsy digs make Robert Schuller's Crystal Cathedral look like Pedro's South of the Border. But then, this place worships the higher deity of the National Football League, its high priest Malcolm Glazer and his imps, Dolce & Gabbana.

Apparently, the bonus practice facility would be an enclosed affair so that the Daisies of Dale Mabry won't get their tootsies wet should inclement weather visit a practice session, which of course raises the question of whether part of that $12 million would go toward providing hoop skirts for the team and its coach, Jon Gruden.

Tut-Tut
In the parallel universe of the Bucs delusional reality, the team has insisted that its practice facility is not a practice facility at all - tut, tut, harrumph, harrumph - but merely a training center for the denizens of Hellooooo Sucker Stadium.

This seems odd. After all, the so-called "training facility" includes a vast field complete with blocking sleds and numerous goalposts for kickers to practice their kicking and for other players to practice their end zone scoring celebrations.

"It's a practice facility, it's a practice facility, it's a practice facility," Tampa Sports Authority board member Bob Buckhorn said with a sigh.

Stasi Guards
To clear all of this up, this space paid a visit to the Bucs complex, which makes the Green Zone look like the Vegas Strip, requesting an audience with the normally affable Chief Operating Officer Eric Land, who looked more flummoxed than Floyd Landis contemplating a urine sample jar.

Land declined to provide a description setting out the differences between a training facility and a practice facility and citing the pressing demands of business - a Glazer in emergency need of a pedicure, perhaps? - quickly retreated behind the moat, the electric fence, the poison dart maze, the retired Stasi guards and the foaming Dobermans.

However, Land agreed to ponder the question with a promised response some seven hours hence. Seemed simple enough. After all, this wasn't like wrestling with a solution to the Darfur crisis.

But at the appointed hour, Land was nowhere to be found. Rather, the team's flack, Jeff Kamis, was dispatched to handle the question. Okie-dokie then, he was asked, what is the difference between a training and a practice facility?

"I'll look into it for you. I really don't know," said Kamis.

"If I hear anything, I'll let you know," Kamis said. At last, we're getting somewhere.

Alas, we never heard back from Kamis, Land or another Bucs apparatchik, proving at least that when it comes to "no comments," eluding awkward inquiries and avoiding simply committing first-degree candor, these folks are very practiced.

onebucfn

Second String

#1 : May 27, 2007, 02:15:06 PM

Its better than using the parking garage they have to use sometimes when the practices get rained out for three days straight!!. I thought they would build one with the new facility

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 27, 2007, 03:24:42 PM

Well, I don't think we should have to pay for it, but it would be cool. The Glaziers have enough money to build their own practice facility. As for the need...it's not the rain that's an issue...it's the lightning. We often get either early morning or afternoon thunderstorms around here. This would allow the Bucs to move inside and continue to practice on a surface meant for something like football...not a stinking parking garage.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 27, 2007, 03:47:10 PM

Maybe this is too simple but to me a training facility is what you do at Disney World and a practice facility is what you did at One Buc place. A lot of similar things happen at both but they have two different functions or focus.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

bbs

Rookie

#4 : May 27, 2007, 03:51:13 PM

It's an opinion column by a columnist who dislikes the Glazers. You didn't put who, but I guarantee it is Daniel Ruth. And he's not a sports writer.

scope88

Starter

#5 : May 27, 2007, 04:02:43 PM

I am fine with it as long as it only gets used when there is bad weather. With us playing in the Florida heat on Sundays, we need to be use to the weather down here. If we get acclimated to a phony climate(indoor facility) then it will be like playing away when we are at home almost.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 27, 2007, 06:32:11 PM

Well, I don't think we should have to pay for it, but it would be cool. The Glaziers have enough money to build their own practice facility.

I think the TB sports authority still have $12-15 million set aside that was meant to help build the new One Buc. 

bucs1

Practice Squad
#7 : May 28, 2007, 12:13:07 AM

It's an opinion column by a columnist who dislikes the Glazers. You didn't put who, but I guarantee it is Daniel Ruth. And he's not a sports writer.

That's weird, I found the article in the Bucs section of TBO.com when I clicked on the picture of One Buc Place.  Does Daniel Ruth hate the Bucs or something?

bbs

Rookie

#8 : May 28, 2007, 10:39:35 PM

He very much dislikes the Glazers & the fact 'we' payed for what he calls "Hellooo sucker stadium'!!

Cheers

Pro Bowler

#9 : May 29, 2007, 10:18:58 AM

You "practice" a game plan. They really do need a high and dry place to practice. It's been a need for a very long time.

goto11

Starter
#10 : May 29, 2007, 11:00:18 AM

This explains it without the attitude:

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBFXEZQZ1F.html

You have to admit, it is picking nits.  An indoor practice facility would be nice, but I'm guessing the spirit of the contract between Tampa and the Bucs was met when the headquarters was built.  If it was done and there was $12 million left over, that money should go back to the taxpayers in some fashion.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 29, 2007, 11:44:09 AM

Training; learning various schemes, getting into NFL shape, preparing for the overall season.
practice: Preparing for specific team against a scout team that emualtes your next opponenet.

An indoor facility would be useful, not only for bad weather, but also when preparing for road games in dome stadiums. 

I noticed that Daniel Ruth's other articles were similarly, full of a lot of venom with very few facts. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 29, 2007, 11:59:03 AM

Once the Bucs snookered the locals out of the big money for the stadium this is sort of chump change to be worrying about.

Still, the Bucs claim is that enclosing existing features changes their nature seems a bit odd. "The Bucs have refused to say how a new practice facility built with the $12 million may differ from the one they just built. " Not sure why if they wanted this they just didn't make it part of the initial design - I mean when you slip the ski mask on go ahead and shoot for the moon.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 29, 2007, 12:12:58 PM

About the silliest damn explanation one could offer - but expected nothing less when it comes to money - like the analogy.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 29, 2007, 01:14:39 PM

who is this yahoo, and what did he do to fall so deeply in love with his own awful sense of humor?
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bucs Want To Add An Indoor Practice Facility « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools