Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which TV is best? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#45 : May 30, 2007, 06:08:16 PM

Plus, who watches TV for hours and hours a day? (Sorry M)

It is shift work in our house.  The TV is used between 7:30am-9:00am, them it is on from 4:00pm to 11/12:00.  I think most family room TVs get used for around 8 hours a day.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#46 : May 31, 2007, 03:51:06 AM

Hope you enjoy spending 4 bills every time your bulb begins to fade.

Actually the life expectancy of an LCD is less than a projector.  In bench tests the average DLP TV lasted twice as long as the average LCD TV.  I have had a LCD that burnt-out in 3 years, and I had to throw the thing away.  My projector TV is still on its first set of bulbs after six years and 8-hours usage a day.

Then your LCD just stopped working. LCDs have a rated lifespan of 50,000 hours.. they are supposed to last 12-15 years on average. Bulbs in projection/DLP TVs that arent the new Samsung LED DLP have bulbs that last around 10,000 hours.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#47 : May 31, 2007, 09:27:28 AM

Then your LCD just stopped working. LCDs have a rated lifespan of 50,000 hours.. they are supposed to last 12-15 years on average. Bulbs in projection/DLP TVs that arent the new Samsung LED DLP have bulbs that last around 10,000 hours.

I read a bench test where they had about 15 TVs on timers running 20 hours a day, and the LCDs did not perform that well.  They started to experience declining picture quality at around 5,000 hours, and they had a slightly higher failure rate than DLP/Plasma when used 24/7.   Most projector bulbs last 15k-20k, and there are replacements available now that will last 80k.

There isn’t an obvious winner in the TV wars, DLP beats LCD in some areas and LCD wins in others.  The life expectancy is a fairly lame argument because most DLP bulbs last 15k+ hours, which is about 7-8 years for most people.  Even if you have to spend $300 on new bulbs after about five years, that is less than you probably saved compared to a new LCD when new.  Of course there will be a rogue TV like the Samsung than chews bulbs up but you do you research and avoid them.  The chances of a complete failure once the warrantee expires is far greater with a LCD.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#48 : June 03, 2007, 10:38:02 AM

I am sure your Samsung is better than your LG.

LOL, my Samsung has a much better picture than the LG LCD's did too!

I compared all the TV's at the store, actually at several stores for that matter, and IMO the one I bought had the better picture as far as comparable units go.  There was a more expensive Sony that maybe was better,  but outside of that it was the best. 

It had a much cleaner picture than any DLP I looked at, oh and at a fraction of the bulk to boot.

I will say the DLP's were a lot cheaper, so as far as bang for the buck yeah that is likely true. 

Booker

Hall of Famer

#49 : June 03, 2007, 06:32:46 PM

I'm looking at a new tv also and am REALLY considering this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8293456&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050039&id=1173577986415

Does anyone know if it will be good for gaming?Or a good tv?

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#50 : June 03, 2007, 07:05:22 PM

rear projection ain't crap. whoever said that is a fool that believes everything best buy tells him.

i got a samsung 48" rear projection 1080i in my living room that I bought 4 years ago and has one of the best pictures you could ever see.

i got a 42" lcd in the bedroom and trust me, for the money..... go with the rear projection.

Wait til your bulb goes and they charge you $350 for one. Thats the downfall with rear projection. Rear projection bulbs lose pic quality after 4000hrs and life is 6000 hrs-- about 4 years of viewing at 4hrs daily. Most folks watch more and then some fall a sleep with the set on. So 4 years is lucky. Then there is the case that a rear pro pic is powered by mirrors-- mirrors that sooner or later loosen and lose their sharp angles. The only advantage I see in a rear pro is if the mirrors always stay put which would mean no bass to rattle the set in that surround sound system, and never move the TV or jar it-- is when you replace the bulb and you will have to replace it--it restores the TV to like new quality and specs as long as the mirrors and other componenets have kept up. Some rear pro companies now include an extra bulb to boost the sales. Sony's SRXD technology is the best rear pro out there.

LCD and Plasma are just about equal. Minor pro and cons. LCD runs cooler and has no burn in risk. Contrast ratios are inflated as well as pixel because the LCD is trying to catch up to plasma in picture quality and it has just about achieved it with true 1080p that compares to Plasma's 720p. Sure 1080p is supposedly better but nothing broadcasts in it except DVD HD or Blueray and some gaming systems. You wont find anything else right now. 1080i is just as good at this point since why spend the several hundreds extra on 1080p when there is not the broadcast ability. And by the time thereis that capability 2010p will be out (just a joke). LCD downfall to Plasma IMO is the decreased viewing angle washouts.

Plasma -- main downfall is burn in risk although most manufacturers have corrected this and there are safety features built into the TV's like pixel shift-- for instance I have mine set to 2x2 every 2 min- so every two mintues my picture shifts 2 pixels up and 2 pixels over and then corrects the picture for wrap around. And believe me you don't even know it happens. There is also a game mode that protects the screen and a white erase that cleans all the pixels and resets them to prevent and burn in. As for longevity- rates as long as the tube TV's. LCD and Plasma have the longevity-- just look at all the LCD cpu monitors and how long those have lasted. As for Plasma just check out the airports. The Plasma's at TPA international have been there for 10 years running 24/7 with a damn good picture on them still.

So LCD and Plasma were a toss up for me and I researched the crap out of them-- more than I wanted to. I went Plasma because my Family room is quite large and has some wierd viewing angles in it where I knew the LCD would wash out. But will likely go LCD in the bedroom soon. Samsung puts out a very nice TV- Awesome picture quality. I researched Hitachi over and over and was set on it. Got to Circuit City and the Sammy whooped it's azz in pic quality and the features allow you to imput your own setting-- plenty of tech websites will tell you how to set it and my custom picture is awesome. The Samsung had by far the best true blacks in my price range.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#51 : June 03, 2007, 11:02:17 PM

I just happened across this tv this morning while channel surfing and they made it sound so freaking nice I almost bit, even though I'm not quite yet ready to get one. Is it any good?

http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?familyid=V37961&storeid=1&page=LIST&category=Computers%20%26%20Electronics

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#52 : June 03, 2007, 11:24:17 PM

I just happened across this tv this morning while channel surfing and they made it sound so freaking nice I almost bit, even though I'm not quite yet ready to get one. Is it any good?

http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?familyid=V37961&storeid=1&page=LIST&category=Computers%20%26%20Electronics

Not a bad TV but it is the 600U line of Panny's- they are already selling the 700U line which has a few more features. Also other manufacturers have similar prices and better features. one f the easiest thing to do is check Cnets reviews and then do your own shopping-- you actually have to see the sets. NBC's price is high as well. Tigerdirect has it for 1699 as well as many other online dealers.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#53 : June 04, 2007, 07:12:56 AM

Not a bad TV but it is the 600U line of Panny's- they are already selling the 700U line which has a few more features. Also other manufacturers have similar prices and better features. one f the easiest thing to do is check Cnets reviews and then do your own shopping-- you actually have to see the sets. NBC's price is high as well. Tigerdirect has it for 1699 as well as many other online dealers.

Thanks for the info.

Hit-55

Starter

#54 : June 04, 2007, 10:45:02 PM

Samsung DLP is the way to go. I have a 56" and it is the best picture I have ever seen.

Fire the cannons!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which TV is best? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools