Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once Injured Bucs Working Their Way Back To 100% « previous next »
Page: 1

bucs1

Practice Squad
: May 28, 2007, 12:26:23 AM

From Buccaneers.com: http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5808

Working Their Way Back

A quick look at the progress of several Buccaneers who are using this offseason to work on their returns from injuries of varying severity

WR David Boston is still working to recapture the form he displayed before a 2004 knee injury

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ gleaming new headquarters are just three quarters of a mile from Raymond James Stadium, close enough for coaches and staffers to run by it, or even around it a few times, during their afternoon jogs.

When the team decided to hold its Thursday practice on the RJS field, however, they took the bus…or four buses, to be exact. That’s the type of transportation you need when you have to move over seven dozen football players at once, even for such a short distance.

Since the Bucs’ offseason roster is hovering around 90 players and the voluntary organized team activity day (OTA) practices are drawing nearly complete participation, every workout looks like training camp. The sidelines are packed with players and reps have to be parceled out judiciously.

Dealing with so many players while trying to install offensive and defensive systems can be tricky. Thus, even though it may sound like a phrase learned on the first day of Coachspeak 101, “I’m going to focus on the players who are at practice,” is a perfectly reasonable thing for any NFL head man to say.

Buccaneers Head Coach Jon Gruden found reason to use the line on Thursday, when commenting on the absence of a couple starters. Veteran linebacker Derrick Brooks was not expected, of course, following the passing of his mother, Geraldine Mitchell on Monday, and new left tackle starter Luke Petitgout was out of town serving as the best man in a big wedding.

“But you’re not going to dwell on two or three guys who aren’t here,” said Gruden. “We’ve got 85 or 86 guys who are here. I’m going to dwell on that.”

That said, with the offseason program due to wrap up in less than a month and training camp, amazingly, looming just nine weeks off, this might be a good time to peek in on a few players who have recently been limited by injuries. Some have returned to full participation, others are still working on their recoveries. Often, players who are hurt during one season use the following offseason to get back up to speed with an eye on being cleared for all activities by training camp.

That is the case, for instance, with defensive end Simeon Rice. The Bucs’ most proven pass-rusher, Rice missed eight games last year and was hampered for most of the other eight by a shoulder injury, leading to his career-low total of two sacks. Rice wasn’t at the stadium on Thursday, but Gruden said his rehab is proceeding at the expected pace.

“It’s good,” said the coach. “He was here the last two days, and obviously he wasn’t here [Thursday]. It’s a long Memorial Day weekend. But he appears in good shape. He’s done the work, and we expect him to be ready to go for training camp.”

John Wade could return to action sooner, perhaps by the OTAs of next month. Wade, the team’s starting center for most of the past four years, has attended almost every practice but has been held out of action due to an ailing ankle. Dan Buenning, the starting left guard in 2005 and at the beginning of 2006, has also had to watch from the sidelines as he continues his return from last year’s significant knee injury.

“[Wade] will be back in June,” said Gruden. “The next wave of OTAs, we expect him back, and Dan Buenning should be ready to go for training camp.”

Like Buenning, Brian Kelly saw his 2006 season come to an end before it could really get started. Kelly played in just two of the first six games while struggling to overcome a turf toe injury, then finally went on injured reserve before the seventh game. He needed a period of inactivity to allow his foot to heal but fortunately faced a shorter recovery time than Buenning. That was evident this week as Kelly joined in practice and looked sharp during the three days of work.

“Brian looks good,” said Gruden. “Brian’s been here the last three days, and he looks like the Brian Kelly who I remembered.”

Gruden has had five years to get acquainted with Kelly’s game. In contrast, he has yet to see much of T.J. Williams, the tight end out of North Carolina State drafted by the Buccaneers in the sixth round a year ago. Williams tore an Achilles tendon during the last workout of the 2006 offseason program and spent his rookie season on injured reserve. He has worked hard on his recovery since day one but is not yet done with that lengthy process. Williams may have a chance to resume his playing career soon, however.

“He’s been very limited, and he’s still finishing up his rehab,” said Gruden. “He should be ready to go. Hopefully he is ready to go in June.”

Then you have the case of former Pro Bowl wide receiver David Boston, who is trying to complete an even longer road back. A training camp knee injury in 2004 essentially erased his two seasons in Miami , and he signed with the Buccaneers last year attempting to make a comeback. Undeniably talented – he averaged 62 catches and 924 yards from 1999-2003 – Boston has yet to regain his NFL foothold since that ’04 injury. Though he looked impressive at times for the Buccaneers last August, he did not find a spot on the regular-season roster. However, the team obviously still believes in Boston ’s potential, as was evident when they signed him again this past February.

"Boston is a guy who can run,” said Gruden. “He’s a guy I’m really excited about who possesses speed. We’re always looking for guys who can run, and speed is a hard thing to coach and it’s a hard thing to acquire.”

It would be an inspiring story if Boston were to return from three essentially lost seasons to re-establish himself in the NFL. He has worked hard to make that return a reality, as has every player on the above list. That’s worth dwelling on, any time of the year.

Buckaroo55

Second String

#1 : May 28, 2007, 11:28:50 AM

Unfortuneatly Boston's best days are probably behind him and he'll be lucky to make the final squad.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#2 : May 28, 2007, 11:33:31 AM

pretty good read, nothing we really haven't known though about the players that we already knew

JC510

Practice Squad

#3 : May 28, 2007, 06:52:06 PM

Boston's future will be decided by who wins the PR job, Buchanon or Jones. If Buchanon wins, Boston stays. If Jones wins, Boston probably won't make it.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#4 : May 28, 2007, 06:01:26 PM

Boston can help this team.  Gruden knows it.  Don't be suprised to see a past starter get the pink slip.

BUCSFAN44

Rookie

#5 : May 28, 2007, 06:06:05 PM

very much a long shot to make the team, but who knows

THE NEXT JOHN LYNCH

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 28, 2007, 10:49:52 PM

He was a monster in TC last year. I was pumped then watched that play not translate to the preseason and it showed me just doesn't have it anymore. He's going to have to have a great preseason if he's going to make this team. 

140BPM

Practice Squad

#7 : May 29, 2007, 04:12:17 AM

I honestly think Boston is going to surprise some people.

TBChucky

Pro Bowler
#8 : May 29, 2007, 05:38:37 AM

I rooting for him. I too was also disappointed with last years preseason. he seemed to have a hard time playing with the 2nd and 3rd`s. I hear he wasnt healthy, so I guess we`ll see...

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#9 : May 29, 2007, 09:42:48 AM

He was a monster in TC last year. I was pumped then watched that play not translate to the preseason and it showed me just doesn't have it anymore. He's going to have to have a great preseason if he's going to make this team.

He and Simms both supposedly had a great TC last year..but as you mentioned it didn't relay over
to the playing field. I'm not going to believe anything until it's on the field. It's probably a subject for
a different day but I think some of these guys need more playing time in the preseason games that
they received last year.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once Injured Bucs Working Their Way Back To 100% « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools