Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gonzo to FA « previous next »
Page: 1

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

: October 31, 2006, 10:27:24 AM

Well with our big chunk o' cap room would the team have any interest, do you think, in Tony Gonzales? The word is that the KCC won't franchise him.

He'll be 31 next year but he's been a really consistent performer and he's on pace for a pretty good year this year. Always a risk getting a guy that old but given the love of the two TE set would he make an intersting 1-2 combo with Alex Smith?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 31, 2006, 10:31:33 AM

Hell yes you try and grab him. Bruce is usually money in structuring the contracts so they don't kill the franchise so I think it would be a great move.

The Bucs will be players in FA this year for sure.....they damn well better be.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 31, 2006, 10:32:04 AM

Would love to see Gonzo in Tampa.  He is still a pile mover, IMO.

His production is definitely slipping, but many things factor in with that, and while age is one of the variables, it isn't the primary variable.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 31, 2006, 10:37:04 AM

I am too sure to be honest.  Gruden does have a fetish for TE's so I would not be suprised.  I am in favor of Becht never seeing the field but this an expensive way of doing it?   ??? :o

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#4 : October 31, 2006, 10:39:09 AM

sure why not add another TE to the roster, what can it hurt, we already have what 4-5 TE's.... ::)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 31, 2006, 11:29:12 AM

sure why not add another TE to the roster, what can it hurt, we already have what 4-5 TE's.... ::)

Yeah, and Smith is really the only serviceable one...go figure.

Having Smith and Gonzo paired up would be nice.  The Bucs could keep Becht as depth, and dump Jolley, or try to convert him into a long snapper.  Or maybe dump Becht, and keep Jolley since he poses more of a receiving threat than Becht does.  Of course, Becht is 275, so he is a better chip blocker.

The Bucs need at least three TE for depth.  And having Gonzo would be awesome.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#6 : October 31, 2006, 11:43:55 AM

Come on man....

buckit

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 31, 2006, 11:45:58 AM

2 Words:  Hell and Yes.  Regardless of his age, Tony Gonzales is still better than any TE we have on the roster.  Alex Smith will get there, but he's no Tony G.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

#8 : October 31, 2006, 12:21:41 PM

Alex Smith is good and developing and the 1-2 punch he would form with Gonzo would be great. We should try to sign him.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 31, 2006, 12:24:10 PM

Only concern I'd have is the age. I still believe Gonzo's an elite tight end....but for how much longer? I'd hate to sign him to a mega deal and then see his production take a nosedive year 2 or 3.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 31, 2006, 12:44:15 PM

We need Tony Gonzo like we need a hole in the head IMHO. He is good, he is 31. I really think that Alex Smith can be a major weapon for this team. Again, we cannot spend the $$$ on a 31 year old stud TE that will only play another 3 years or whatever. We have a pressing need for a stud LT, we need a stud UT, we need DE help, we need a playmaking OLB. TE to me IMHO is not the need that needs to be filled.

Baghead #2

#11 : October 31, 2006, 10:47:12 PM

We need Tony Gonzo like we need a hole in the head IMHO.

I agree. As much as I love Gonzo, this team has far too many needs to spend such a large chunk of cash on a TE, especially when we have young talent in Smith.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 31, 2006, 10:49:25 PM

Full Back, please.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 31, 2006, 11:01:18 PM

Who is to say Gonzo is going to draw a MEGA contract?

Maybe he understands he is on his way out.

The thing is, he will probably play for New England for 12 bucks just to get a shot at the Lombardi.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gonzo to FA « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools