Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I thought we were old « previous next »
Page: 1

Badabingnrt

Starter

: May 29, 2007, 01:46:18 AM

I love how for the past few years we have been called an old and "aging team".  I find it hilarious as they use the word aging as well.  Correct me if im wrong, but I believe we all age as time passes by....

We may have a 37 year old QB challenging to be the starter.  But We won a Super Bowl with an old QB and if you want youth look no further then incubant starter Chris Simms(26) and starter for most of last year, Bruce Gradkowski(24)

Are other starters on offense include RB Cadillac Williams(25), FB Mike Alstott(33), WR Joey Galloway(35), WR Michael Clayton(24), WR Maurice Stovall(22), TE Alex Smith(25), TE Jerramy Stevens(27), T Luke Pettigout(30), T Jeremy Trueblood(24), G Davin Joseph(23), G Arron Sears(22), and C Dan Buenning(25).  You notice that Galloway, Alstott, and recently signed Luke Pettigout are the only members over 30.  Galloway had the best 2 years of his career the past 2 years and is like a "fine wine" as he is getting better with age.  However, i know that he doesnt have much left.  Clayton and Stovall are both 24 and 22 respectively and have many years left in the league.  As for the offensive line, everyone of our starters is under the age of 25 with the exception of Pettigout which we all know lineman can play well into their mid-30s.

As for defense, everyone points out how Simeon Rice(33), Derrick Brooks(34), Brian Kelly(31), and Ronde Barber(32) are over the age of 30, but all are still performing at a top level.  Again this is cause for concern, but the Bucs clearly addressed this with the additions of Adams, Piscitelli, Black, and Jackson in the draft.

Put those 4 with LB Cato June(27), LB Barrett Ruud(24), CB Phillip Bucchanon(26), CB Alan Zemeitias(24), S Will Allen(24), and DL Juliun Jenkins(23) and we aren't looking too bad.

Also keep in mind that the Bucs aren't going to lose all these guys at once.  They lost Sapp and Lynch and honestly didn't take that much of a hit on defense in 04.  They were still ranked in the top 5.

In 05, the defense arose to #1 ranked in the league.

They are now going to ease Barrett Ruud into the starting role replacing Shelton Quarles

Next season after Rice leaves for free agency, Gaines Adams will be ready to start in place of him.

The Bucs will still have Barber and Brooks.  Kelly is still under contract, but if Bucchanon can show himself this year he may emerge as a starter opposite Barber giving the Bucs the ability to trade Kelly.

When its Brooks time to go, the Bucs can put in Black who will be aside June and Ruud, who should be an exerienced starter by that time.

So i wouldnt worry about the D as I think Kiffin and CO. know what they are doing

bbs

Rookie

#1 : May 29, 2007, 05:30:42 AM

What is the point of your post?  Old D, young O...exceot for qb.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 29, 2007, 07:31:47 AM

What is the point of your post?  Old D, young O...exceot for qb.
Old is Gaines Adams, Ryan Sims, Chris Hovan, Barrett Ruud, and Will Allen? All who could be opening day starters?

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler

#3 : May 29, 2007, 09:46:33 AM

i'm not aging. mentally.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#4 : May 29, 2007, 04:40:42 PM

We went 4-11 last season, so the defense was NOT playing at top level, they gave up a lot of big plays, 300+ yards to the Falcons. They are far from the worst defense in the NFL, but also far from being able to carry the team.
The "star" players happen to be past the age of 30, you don't get faster with age and with a defense built on team speed a step or two here and there do add up.
Hopefully the speed and youth of the younger players mixed with the experiance and knowledge of the older players will make us a better team. I think its justified to bring up how old our defense is getting overall and the fact that we are not dominate as we once were.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#5 : May 29, 2007, 05:10:51 PM

I like a quote from Monte where he said "I don't care how old you are as long as you can make plays." I think that sums it up. Age dosen't matter as long as the erosion of physical talent dosen't effect play. In Derrick's case it may be (as much as it hurts to say that). But I like the mix we may have this year. Enough young, raw talent and some cagey vetreans means that the team beats our opponents instead of relying on our stars who clearly get worn down late in games.

I want to see what we have this year.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 29, 2007, 07:32:04 PM

So i wouldnt worry about the D as I think Kiffin and CO. know what they are doing

The thing is, how long will Monte be around for?

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

vladin

Starter

#7 : May 29, 2007, 10:05:00 PM

Old?   Nah.  Injured, inexperienced, and in some cases simply out-talented, yes.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I thought we were old « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools