Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Women Drivers?!?! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

gone

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 31, 2007, 04:14:01 PM

In an accompanying commentary on Evans' paper, statistician Mary Meyer of the University of Georgia raises several concerns about the analysis. She points out that Evans' use of raw numbers is appropriate only if men and women drive approximately the same number of miles under roughly the same conditions.
That isn't the case, Meyer argues. A U.S. Department of Energy study, for example, revealed that men averaged 65 percent more driving miles than women did in 2001. At the same time, while men log more miles, women log more trips, on average. Indeed, data show that more female drivers are involved in minor accidents while more male drivers are involved in severe accidents, Meyer says.

In general, when driving miles are taken into account, the fatality rate among men is 70 percent (rather than 270 percent) higher, she notes.

I'm not for saying that men are safer drivers, but the statistics need to be put in perspective as that article did actually do (above).  And a larger number of fatalities doesn't mean a larger number of overall accidents, just the more serious ones.  Which is consistent with the women making more small trips -- it's hard to get into a fatality going 30mph.

One of the things it doesn't address is that speed difference.  it talks about miles, not MPH.  More miles is roughly = higher speeds as you generate those miles on the highway not side streets.  So while there may be more "aggressive" behaviors by male drivers, I would think a large part of that disparity would be addressed by men driving more miles in a "high-risk environment" (namely the highways) compared to local low-risk driving.

#16 : May 31, 2007, 06:37:04 PM

I have done route sales for about 10 years now & drive alot with ZERO accidents and maybe 2-3 minor tickets, but somehow that does not seem to comfort my wife while I am driving with her places. ???
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Women Drivers?!?! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools