Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Update: Torre - A Rod's Yelling: "Inappropriate" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: May 30, 2007, 10:55:42 PM

Late in the game against the Blue Jays, with Toronto trailing the Yanks 7-5, A Rod
was on base. A pop-up occurred and as A Rod was rounding the base, he yelled out,
"I got it!" and the Blue Jay player backed off and let the ball drop. BJ player was
furious.

Is this a Bush League play or an Anything for the Team play?

I don't recall seeing anything like that even in little league. Maybe in stick ball
when I used to play down the block.

I say it's an embarrassment and Torre would not condone it.

This is not the first time he has done something like this.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 30, 2007, 11:01:25 PM

That is freakinf awesome. Smart play.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#2 : May 30, 2007, 11:08:03 PM

Pretty smart thinking, I don't think Torre will care to much, if it helps the yanks it helps him.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 30, 2007, 11:20:55 PM

I'm sure the NY papers will have some fun with this tomorrow.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/mlb/news/AAN4081551.htm

Wolfe got Jorge Posada to hit a high pop-up on the left side of the infield. With third baseman Howie Clark behind him, McDonald called for the ball as Rodriguez trotted behind him, but apparently said something and McDonald lost his concentration, and the ball dropped to the turf, allowing Hideki Matsui to score from second base. McDonald was upset and jawed at Rodriguez.

#4 : May 30, 2007, 11:30:55 PM

Not at all bush league. Saw it happen in Major League with Wesley Snipes. The 3B should've been an athlete and caught the ball anyways. This is no different than the SS faking a tag on a baserunner who isnt watching the play

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 31, 2007, 04:12:50 AM

This IS kind of funny...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070531&content_id=1996556&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Canadian Press

5/31/2007 12:27:56 AM

Yankees manager Joe Torre added that he wasn't sure if Rodriguez tried to make it sound like he was calling off Clark, or if he simply shouted out as he sprinted toward third base.

"I don't know what to feel," Torre said. "It's baseball. It's not like he said, 'I got it.' He didn't say that. He just made a noise. When catchers come over to the opposite dugout, everyone's saying, 'I got it, I got it, I got it.'"

Rodriguez even went as far as comparing the play to Toronto second baseman Aaron Hill's successful steal of home during the Jays' 3-2 win Tuesday.

"[The intention was] to win a game. We're desperate," Rodriguez said. "[On Tuesday] they made a great play stealing home. They did some great things yesterday, and I tip my cap to them. It's something that'll be unique -- something you don't see every day. Those guys have their opinion and our guys have ours. I'm fine with that."

Regardless of what Rodriguez and Torre said, the players inside Toronto's clubhouse weren't happy at all with what took place. Blue Jays third baseman Troy Glaus, who sat out with a sore left hamstring, was quick to say he'd have some choice words for a teammate that pulled the same stunt.

"You'd have to," said Glaus, who added that he had never seen a similar incident in his 10 big-league seasons. "You'd have to discuss and talk to him why that's not a good thing -- why that's not appropriate.

"Not since I think 'Major League 2,' the movie [have I seen something like that]," he added with a laugh. "I've never heard of someone doing it and I've never seen anybody do it. I've never had it happen to me. It's disappointing. That's not proper."

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=209405&hubname=mlb

TORONTO (CP) - The next time the Toronto Blue Jays face the New York Yankees, Alex Rodriguez shouldn't get too comfortable in the batter's box.

There are things that shouldn't be done on the field and the superstar third baseman crossed the line Wednesday night when he apparently shouted ''Mine'' on an infield fly as he rounded the bases in the ninth inning.

''Maybe I'm naive but I thought it was a bush-league play,'' said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons, who yelled at A-Rod after asking the umpires to consider an interference call. ''One thing you know about the Yankees, one of the reasons they're so respected, they do things right. They always have. They've got a lot of pride and a lot of class, they play the game hard, they play the game right and that's not Yankee pride right there. That's not the way they play.''

''It's disappointing, that's not proper, that's not the right thing to do,'' said Glaus. ''I've never seen it in 30 years, except in the movies.''

After the ball dropped McDonald, one of the friendliest and most gentle people you're likely to meet, went after Rodriguez and had to be restrained by Clark. Gibbons, bench coach Ernie Whitt and other Blue Jays in the dugout also yelled at Rodriguez.

''I don't get angry all that much,'' said McDonald, who wouldn't go into more detail.

Tellingly, no Yankees stepped to the top of the dugout to defend their teammate.

''I don't know what to feel for it,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said of Rodriguez's shout. ''It's not like he said `I got it.'''

Track record suggests that Rodriguez's denials about yelling ''Mine'' should be treated with caution. In Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS versus Boston, he infamously slapped at the glove of pitcher Bronson Arroyo on a play at first base to avoid being called out.

Rodriguez said he gets heckled ''three or four times a week at third base. I didn't say `I got it' or anything like that. .. One word, hah. That's it.''

Clark, who arrived from the minors earlier in the day, said it was the first time it's happened to him in 16 years of baseball.

''I heard a `Mine' call and so I let it go,'' he said. Once it fell he saw, ''that it wasn't Johnny Mac and then I realized what had happened.

''It makes you mad.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270530114

Clark said he'd never seen -- or heard -- that play before. "This is my 16th season and it's never happened once," he said.

Rodriguez said he's often heckled by opposing players.

"That play happens to me three or four times a week, except it's not at third base, it's over in foul territory by the dugout," Rodriguez said.

The Yankees didn't quite know what to think.

"I wasn't sure that was allowed," outfielder Johnny Damon said. "If it is, maybe we'll keep on doing it."

Said manager Joe Torre: "I don't know what to feel for it. It's not like he said, 'I got it.'"

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 31, 2007, 07:40:56 AM

Its a great play no doubt

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 31, 2007, 08:39:00 AM

why can't ya just post the stuff that's in bold insteadof 3 long articles

Booker

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 31, 2007, 09:42:26 AM

Not at all bush league. Saw it happen in Major League with Wesley Snipes. The 3B should've been an athlete and caught the ball anyways. This is no different than the SS faking a tag on a baserunner who isnt watching the play
Faking a tag get you ejected from the game

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#9 : May 31, 2007, 11:23:15 AM

I remember Warren Sapp used to yell out to get the opponent's offensive line to move prior to the snap. Is this different?

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 31, 2007, 01:01:44 PM

Anything to get people's minds off of all of those pictures with that "companion" in Toronto that went into the hotel with him. Besides, they're in last place so do what you have to do I guess.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 31, 2007, 01:19:21 PM

I have to disagree with myself. The more I hear sports folk talk about it, the more I think
it's not any different than many other deception plays in baseball as a few of you pointed
out. How about the faking of the ball going to CF on a throw to 2B on a stolen base?
Or, the outfielder faking like he can't find the ball.

Doesn't seem like other players yell "Ha!" on the base paths. But maybe they should.

I don't think he said "Ha!" I think somebody asked him, "Hey, why did you bring that girl
back to your room?"

ARod - "Because she was HOT!"

Bad joke. Nothing else I could think of...

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 31, 2007, 01:42:21 PM

One telling point: No Yankees came out of the dugout to congratulate A Rod on his play.
That team does not like him. Great player in the regular season though.

Do you think Jeter would ever do that?

I'm flip flopping.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 31, 2007, 01:50:39 PM

gruber

Pro Bowler

#14 : May 31, 2007, 02:18:16 PM

Let me preface this by saying I hate baseball and I hate the Yankees even more. With that said I find it  just as fair a a Pitcher beaming someone. Arod did what he had to do to help the team win, just like the other day with that cheap slide into 2nd.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Update: Torre - A Rod's Yelling: "Inappropriate" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools