Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joe Namath WASTED... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 02, 2006, 10:34:17 PM

No way is Joe Namath overrated. He was the first QB in pro history to throw for 4,000 plus yards (in 1967). He beat a very good Raiders team to win the AFL title in '68 and league MVP. He won a division title the next year (and league MVP again) despite a screwy schedule in which the Jets were on the road for about six weeks (because the '69 Mets went a lot further than any schedule maker or sane person would have anticipated). He was superb in '72, a time when running backs dominated and league rules favored defenders. Great QB in the sense of Montana, Starr, Staubach? No. His career was injury riddled and he was awful in '75 before the Jets let him go (whereupon he finished up ingloriously with the Rams). But he was a major figure in the AFL-NFL merger, important in changing the whole image of pro football.
But yes, Matt Snell should have been the MVP of SB III.

In Verner We Trust

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#16 : November 02, 2006, 10:41:47 PM

I remember seeing this live and laughing.  Alcoholism is a disease though, and from what I hear the guy is doing a good job with it.

But really, you don't have to be drunk at Joe's age to want to kiss her....

And honestly, I blame her as much as him.  As a reporter you need to know a guys capacity before you interview him.  As drunk as he was, she should have known better than to interview him.......

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#17 : November 02, 2006, 11:54:54 PM

I am sure iof the cameras weren't rolling, say they were in a bar, he would have said something a bit more R rated.  So what.  He wanted to kiss her.  She isn't ugly.

Now if he said that crap to Al Michaels on air...

T

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 03, 2006, 08:51:16 AM

Still hilarious

Garv

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 03, 2006, 09:02:49 AM

No way is Joe Namath overrated. He was the first QB in pro history to throw for 4,000 plus yards (in 1967). He beat a very good Raiders team to win the AFL title in '68 and league MVP. He won a division title the next year (and league MVP again) despite a screwy schedule in which the Jets were on the road for about six weeks (because the '69 Mets went a lot further than any schedule maker or sane person would have anticipated). He was superb in '72, a time when running backs dominated and league rules favored defenders. Great QB in the sense of Montana, Starr, Staubach? No. His career was injury riddled and he was awful in '75 before the Jets let him go (whereupon he finished up ingloriously with the Rams). But he was a major figure in the AFL-NFL merger, important in changing the whole image of pro football.
But yes, Matt Snell should have been the MVP of SB III.

Good post. I think anyone who is old enough to remember his days with the Jets KNOWS how good he was. He was not only important as far as bringing passing to the forefront, but he brought a new generation of fans to the game. Probably THE single most important player as far as bring the AFL and NFL together.
And damn it, he was FUN!

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#20 : November 03, 2006, 09:03:35 AM

How the heck did I miss this?

Does your cave have central heat and air?

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#21 : November 03, 2006, 09:07:50 AM

In all honesty, they should have had the decency not to interview him when they realized he was that hammered.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : November 03, 2006, 08:01:48 PM

Thanks, JG. He WAS fun. Growing up in Northern NJ in the early 70's, one must remember that he was a peer of Clyde Frazier, Tom Seaver, many other Fun City greats. And yet he was a walking contradiction; as hard as he played off the field, he was grace personified, at his peak, on it. He and Doug Williams had a lot of similarities as QBs - wonderful footwork, too many interceptions and yet the ability to throw the type of longball that made you gasp. If you really want to understand what he was about, just watch the NFL Films Game of the Week from when the Jets played the 49ers in '71 (it's on ESPN Classic every once in a blue moon).

In Verner We Trust

Garv

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 03, 2006, 10:07:35 PM

Thanks, JG. He WAS fun. Growing up in Northern NJ in the early 70's, one must remember that he was a peer of Clyde Frazier, Tom Seaver, many other Fun City greats. And yet he was a walking contradiction; as hard as he played off the field, he was grace personified, at his peak, on it. He and Doug Williams had a lot of similarities as QBs - wonderful footwork, too many interceptions and yet the ability to throw the type of longball that made you gasp. If you really want to understand what he was about, just watch the NFL Films Game of the Week from when the Jets played the 49ers in '71 (it's on ESPN Classic every once in a blue moon).

I remember those days well Jersey, Earl the Pearl, Koosman, Tommie Agee, Maynard. Tug McGraw? LOL
Joe Willie was special and had he played today when knee surgeries weren't quite so invasive.......God I'm getting old.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#24 : November 04, 2006, 02:13:49 AM

All I could think of watching that was how his breath must have reeked. Ewwww.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 05, 2006, 09:29:12 AM

All I could think of watching that was how his breath must have reeked. Ewwww.

It depends what he was drinking.    If he was drunk on something like Sambuca, Vodka, Baileys etc, it wouldn't have smelled very bad at all.   He's not exactly poor, so I doubt he smelled like a drunk wino who drinks cheap wine.   Cigarette smoke smells worse to me.   

The crazy thing is that he probably ended up nailing Suzy after that interview anyway.    So why all the hoopla?
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joe Namath WASTED... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools