Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Smartest person in the world found at King High school!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

Runole

Hall of Famer
ę : June 01, 2007, 08:32:49 AM Ľ

Reported today that a female student at King High school had a GPA of 8.08!!  Proving once again the the secondary school system of Florida has to be the best in the nation!!   NOT!! [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

What a total joke  the secondary school education in Hillsborough county has become!! >:(

Silly me all along I thought a 4.0 was considered perfect??   Oh well they must be learning their computation from football and their 110 % effort that is so often advertised.  ;) ;)

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

ę #1 : June 01, 2007, 09:04:43 AM Ľ

4.0 is a straight "A" average. You can achieve higher than this by taking advanced courses. I think ???

I have never heard of 8.08 though

Hillsborough High and King are both very good.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532678/site/newsweek/

You can find a few more up near the top in Hillsborough/Pinellas Counties.

Quit hating.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

ę #2 : June 01, 2007, 09:11:58 AM Ľ

What a total joke the secondary school education in Hillsborough county has become!! >:(

It depends which part of Hillsborough County in Valrico the schools are very good.   

Fresh

Hall of Famer

ę #3 : June 01, 2007, 11:57:45 AM Ľ

Im guessing AP clases are rated like 10 points

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

Runole

Hall of Famer
ę #4 : June 01, 2007, 04:13:42 PM Ľ

This whole elevation of GPA because of a class one takes has always been one of the dumbest  moves ever in education.

A 4.0 in advanced classes is certainly better than a 4.0 in basic classes..  Shouldn't take a  real genius college admissions person to figure which student is better college material.

JMHO but a student with a 4.0 by today's standards would be about a 2.0 in the REAL GPA world.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

ę #5 : June 01, 2007, 05:17:56 PM Ľ

The reason for that student's GPA being so high is because of the IB program in King High school. From Freshman year to Senoir year, I think there's a .025 GPA per credit hour added to their unwieghted GPA. Not to mention the AP credit add some more points. Usually if a student gets straight A's throughout the IB prgram they will end up with over a 7.0 GPA. That certain student probably took dual enrollment courses as well during the summer to get that 8.08 GPA.

That said, it is still difficult for the student because the IB courses are basically core college classes. The student will have ended up taking the equivalents of two semesters of Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. Four semesters of a foreign language, and basically all of the English requirements for college.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

ę #6 : June 01, 2007, 05:36:11 PM Ľ

The kid is smart, which ever way you look at it.

Runole

Hall of Famer
ę #7 : June 02, 2007, 04:09:12 PM Ľ

The reason for that student's GPA being so high is because of the IB program in King High school. From Freshman year to Senoir year, I think there's a .025 GPA per credit hour added to their unwieghted GPA. Not to mention the AP credit add some more points. Usually if a student gets straight A's throughout the IB prgram they will end up with over a 7.0 GPA. That certain student probably took dual enrollment courses as well during the summer to get that 8.08 GPA.

That said, it is still difficult for the student because the IB courses are basically core college classes. The student will have ended up taking the equivalents of two semesters of Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. Four semesters of a foreign language, and basically all of the English requirements for college.

And that is why the whole GPA system is corrupt.

Just give a 4.0 with a notation of taking advanced classes and be done with it.  4.0 in basic studies could be noted as well.

Score high on the college entrance examinations and that will also aid in proper reward and placement.

4.0  is perfect..  "Gilding the Lily" actually cheapens the whole thing

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

ę #8 : June 02, 2007, 04:20:00 PM Ľ

And that is why the whole GPA system is corrupt.

Just give a 4.0 with a notation of taking advanced classes and be done with it. 4.0 in basic studies could be noted as well.

Score high on the college entrance examinations and that will also aid in proper reward and placement.

4.0 is perfect.. "Gilding the Lily" actually cheapens the whole thing

Why ---it's obvious a 4.0 is not perfection anymore-- it's a sign of changing times and changing curriculums around the country. And the fact you bash the school system shows your ignorance when obviously this student is very well prepared for college by a Fla public school. Locally King and St Pete High rank very high. They also rank very high statewide, nationally , and internationally with their IB programs. In fact many local kids leave prep schools for these public schools.

Runole

Hall of Famer
ę #9 : June 02, 2007, 05:39:50 PM Ľ

BUC FAN FOR LIFE   I HOPE YOU ARE AWARE THAT THE SECONDARY SCHOOL SYSTEM in Florida  RANKS IN THE HIGH 40's nationwide. That is the bottom of the barrel!!

Sign of the changing times?  Is that what it is?   How about total BS??

Hillsborough County School system is ranked high?  By whom?  The people that ran the recent FCAT Scores IN FLORIDA?

SON, I taught 17 years in the Hillsborough county secondary school system as well Junior College, and if you think it is possible to get better than 4.0  which is perfect there is no more that I can say.

I still know many teachers in the Hillsborough county School system and if you think it is that Highly rated truthfully nationwide you are sadly mistaken.

Not only does FLORIDA rank abysmally low but the entire nation ranks absymally worldwide in education.   Wake up!  You have been fed too much BS!

I am not taking anything away from the student but even if she has an IQ over 200 ( she doesn't!) she wouldn't deserve a 8.0 GPA.   It is beyond ignorant to believe that one can do better than perfect.   Just another failure of education in America!! 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
ę #10 : June 02, 2007, 07:07:30 PM Ľ

Relax, Runole. What are you going to do when some kid gets a 20.0 in ten years. It is called grade inflation. Schools grade easier to look better to the Politicos/money givers. Someone realizes 4.0 was a ceiling so they invent AP classes, not to better the kids education, but so the smartest kids will get a 5.0 grade and raise the schools average. The D students start getting B's and the B students get AA's or 2xA's,  and the cheerleaders with B's get implants and now sport DD's.
Either way, must of them still can't read or write worth a damn.

None of this fools the College Admission boards.  They will just put less and less emphasis on grades and more on test scores.  Some may hate Standardized Tests, but at least they are Standardized by someone outside the political/funding world.

Runole

Hall of Famer
ę #11 : June 02, 2007, 08:40:44 PM Ľ

Relax, Runole. What are you going to do when some kid gets a 20.0 in ten years. It is called grade inflation. Schools grade easier to look better to the Politicos/money givers. Someone realizes 4.0 was a ceiling so they invent AP classes, not to better the kids education, but so the smartest kids will get a 5.0 grade and raise the schools average. The D students start getting B's and the B students get AA's or 2xA's,  and the cheerleaders with B's get implants and now sport DD's.
Either way, must of them still can't read or write worth a damn.

None of this fools the College Admission boards.  They will just put less and less emphasis on grades and more on test scores.  Some may hate Standardized Tests, but at least they are Standardized by someone outside the political/funding world.

You would think that. Except today there are kids in college that don't even know their times tables.  After viewing the special Decling Degrees on an Education Channel don't be so sure about the college admissions boards.  There are many kids in college today that wouldn't even pass High School in the 70's.
Many degrees are just about worthless today in the workforce.

You are correct it is indeed Grade inflation and it has totally made a farce out of anyone who actually earned a 4.0 when it was considered perfect.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

ę #12 : June 02, 2007, 11:31:14 PM Ľ

BUC FAN FOR LIFE I HOPE YOU ARE AWARE THAT THE SECONDARY SCHOOL SYSTEM in Florida RANKS IN THE HIGH 40's nationwide. That is the bottom of the barrel!!

Florida actually ranks in the mid 30s these days.  The rankings are a farce because the demographics are very different from state to state.  When you compare the middle class areas from state to state Florida actually ranks in the top five.  Florida ranks number two in the nation in the quality of the teachers in schools as well.

Our son started his education in the UK, which generally has a higher standard of education than the US.  He had to move up a grade and he is in the gifted program but we are more than happy with the education he is receiving in Florida. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

ę #13 : June 02, 2007, 11:35:42 PM Ľ

BUC FAN FOR LIFE   I HOPE YOU ARE AWARE THAT THE SECONDARY SCHOOL SYSTEM in Florida  RANKS IN THE HIGH 40's nationwide. That is the bottom of the barrel!!

Sign of the changing times?  Is that what it is?   How about total BS??

Hillsborough County School system is ranked high?  By whom?  The people that ran the recent FCAT Scores IN FLORIDA?

SON, I taught 17 years in the Hillsborough county secondary school system as well Junior College, and if you think it is possible to get better than 4.0  which is perfect there is no more that I can say.

I still know many teachers in the Hillsborough county School system and if you think it is that Highly rated truthfully nationwide you are sadly mistaken.

Not only does FLORIDA rank abysmally low but the entire nation ranks absymally worldwide in education.   Wake up!  You have been fed too much BS!

I am not taking anything away from the student but even if she has an IQ over 200 ( she doesn't!) she wouldn't deserve a 8.0 GPA.   It is beyond ignorant to believe that one can do better than perfect.   Just another failure of education in America!!

I hope none of your 17 years teaching in Hillsborough County included Reading Comprehension. Nowhere did BUCFAN4LIFE say the Hillsborough County School system is ranked high or highly rated.

And the next time you want to take shots at the local school system you may want to trot out examples of actual stupid students instead of ones taking and acing college level courses.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

ę #14 : June 03, 2007, 08:07:44 AM Ľ

BUC FAN FOR LIFE I HOPE YOU ARE AWARE THAT THE SECONDARY SCHOOL SYSTEM in Florida RANKS IN THE HIGH 40's nationwide. That is the bottom of the barrel!!

Sign of the changing times? Is that what it is? How about total BS??

Hillsborough County School system is ranked high? By whom? The people that ran the recent FCAT Scores IN FLORIDA?

SON, I taught 17 years in the Hillsborough county secondary school system as well Junior College, and if you think it is possible to get better than 4.0 which is perfect there is no more that I can say.

Not only does FLORIDA rank abysmally low but the entire nation ranks absymally worldwide in education. Wake up! You have been fed too much BS!

I am not taking anything away from the student but even if she has an IQ over 200 ( she doesn't!) she wouldn't deserve a 8.0 GPA. It is beyond ignorant to believe that one can do better than perfect. Just another failure of education in America!!

Professor Runole-- try reading what I actually typed out.

Back to my original statement -- obviously the standardized GPA for perfection has changed and class load and difficulty are now considered in the mix in secondary education. It's called change-- just because you don't like it-- doesn't mean much. Is it inflated-- seems so. But to pick on one instance in which the student is very bright and well prepared in a FLA Public School which you cast negativety at well is nothing short of... just not very well thought out. Kind of like your response to me. Many of these kids achieveing the higher GPA's are very bright well prepared students who have earned the extra GPA by excelling in a system that gives them higher credit for higher accomplishments. Doesn't seem fair a kid that worked their arse off as this student did be lumped in with someone who took regular classes and excelled in PE, and 12th grade geography. While the other was taking AP calculus and AP biology courses.

Now where did I say the FLA school system ranks really high. If you learn to read correctly , you'll note I said St Pete HS and King HS rank very high nationwide as well as a few more Florida and local Secondary Schools. Hillsborough HS ranked top 10 in the nation.

2005 top 40 in the Nation per NewsWeek:

PastYears Rank  School  Location  State  Index  Subs. Lunch  E & E 
  1 Jefferson County IBS *  Irondale Ala. 10.755 2.000   -n/a-
 2 International Academy *¬† Bloomfield Hills Mich. 8.422¬† ¬†-n/a-¬† ¬†-n/a-
 3 Stanton College Prep *¬† Jacksonville Fla. 7.385 7.800¬† ¬†-n/a-
 4 Eastside *¬† Gainesville Fla. 6.682 39.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 5 H-B Woodlawn¬† Arlington Va. 5.747 14.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
  6 Science/Engineering Magnet  Dallas Texas 5.545 37.800   -n/a-
 7 Paxon School for Advanced Studies *¬† Jacksonville Fla. 5.373 13.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 8 Pensacola *¬† Pensacola Fla. 5.362 63.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
  9 Raleigh Charter  Raleigh N.C. 5.089   -n/a-   -n/a-
 10 Hillsborough *¬† Tampa Fla. 5.085 50.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 11 Richard Montgomery *¬† Rockville Md. 5.029 13.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 12 Highland Park¬† Dallas Texas 4.588¬† ¬†-n/a-¬† ¬†-n/a-
 13 Coral Reef *¬† Miami Fla. 4.528 27.500¬† ¬†-n/a-
 14 Jericho¬† Jericho N.Y. 4.347 1.600¬† ¬†-n/a-
  15 McNair Academic  Jersey City N.J. 4.342 40.000   -n/a-
 16 Cold Spring Harbor¬† Cold Spring Harbor N.Y. 4.317 1.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 17 Wootton¬† Rockville Md. 4.307 2.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 18 Atlantic Community *¬† Delray Beach Fla. 4.291 23.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 19 Eastern Sierra Academy¬† Bridgeport Calif. 4.250 18.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 20 Dreyfoos School of the Arts¬† West Palm Beach Fla. 4.205 5.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 21 Troy *¬† Fullerton Calif. 4.165 1.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 22 Great Neck South¬† Great Neck N.Y. 4.161 3.700¬† ¬†-n/a-
 23 George Mason *¬† Falls Church Va. 4.098 8.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 24 Newport *¬† Bellevue Wash. 4.018 31.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 25 Harding University *¬† Charlotte N.C. 4.017 38.300¬† ¬†-n/a-
 26 Edgemont¬† Scarsdale N.Y. 4.015¬† ¬†-n/a-¬† ¬†-n/a-
 27 Wilson Magnet *¬† Rochester N.Y. 3.895 63.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 28 Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies¬† Los Angeles Calif. 3.892 37.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 29 Bethesda-Chevy Chase *¬† Bethesda Md. 3.874 10.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 30 Manhasset¬† Manhasset N.Y. 3.853 4.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
  31 Lincoln Park *  Chicago Ill. 3.811 51.300   -n/a-
 32 Newport¬† Bellevue Wash. 3.809 6.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
  33 Design & Architecture  Miami Fla. 3.804 41.600   -n/a-
 34 W. T. Woodson¬† Fairfax Va. 3.748 6.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 35 St. Petersburg¬† St. Petersburg Fla. 3.742 22.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 36 King *¬† Tampa Fla. 3.715 40.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 37 Myers Park *¬† Charlotte N.C. 3.686 17.900¬† ¬†-n/a-
 38 East Chapel Hill¬† Chapel Hill N.C. 3.622 12.000¬† ¬†-n/a-
 39 Pittsford Mendon¬† Pittsford N.Y. 3.584 1.800¬† ¬†-n/a-
 40 Science Academy of South Texas¬† Mercedes Texas 3.570 42.000 -n/a-

As for the kids graduating who dont know their times tables.... Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the state used to hire teachers who fail miserably at reading comprehension and kept them employed for 17 years ???

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Smartest person in the world found at King High school!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools