Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 700 pound Shark caught near local dock?! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

superbuc

Practice Squad
: June 04, 2007, 12:59:26 AM

Bull shark caught off local dock
They measured it at 8 feet 10 inches. The men didn't have a scale, but they estimated its weight at 650 to 700 pounds.
By WILL VAN SANT
Published June 3, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night was black. The moon full. Live music from Vinoy Park floated in the salty air.

But Ed Maloney was not at peace. Ed Maloney was thinking: I need a hand. I just don't want to screw this up.

Ed had been invited to his cousin Frank Maloney's Venetian Isles home Saturday for some backyard shark fishing.

Ed's a novice angler, so when he felt what seemed to be a block of lead yank at his line, he knew it was time to call in reinforcements.

"So I sit in the chair, " the more experienced Frank recalled Saturday, "and I said, 'Holy ****!' This is just the strongest thing I've ever felt!"

Frank Maloney, a real estate developer, had hooked bull sharks from the seawall behind his home before. But smaller ones, as in only 200 to 300 pounds.

This was on another scale, so he called his neighbor, Chuck "Tuna" Meyer. Tuna was in bed and his wife wasn't keen on him getting up, but Frank seemed pretty urgent. "So I got over there in about 10 minutes, " Tuna said. "And I couldn't believe it. This thing was incredible."

Bull sharks are in bays and inland waters this time of year to give birth to their "pups." After the effort they are hungry. Maloney's massive shark took a six pound bonita on 80 pound-test-line, and a three-hour battle was joined.

Though the population of some sharks are dwindling, the bull is common in area waters. And they are very dangerous animals, pugnacious and aggressive. In 2000, a bull took the life of 69-year-old Thadeus Kubinski, when he jumped from a dock into Boca Ciega Bay.

The Maloneys' shark was too powerful for just one man, so every 20 minutes the Maloney cousins and Meyer, each 45-years-old, would take turns in the chair, forearms aching, sweating through their clothes.

The sound of the reel's drag was so loud it woke up Frank Maloney's wife. They threw ice on the reel to keep the thing from overheating.

"I never thought we were going to get it in, " Frank said. "I thought we were going to break the line several times."

Finally the exhausted men got the exhausted animal to the seawall, where they managed to sink a treble hook in its flesh. They lashed the shark in place and tried to get some rest. In the morning, friends came by to help them lift the animal to land.

They measured it at 8 feet 10 inches. The men didn't have a scale, but they estimated its weight at 650 to 700 pounds.

Frank said he called around to local fish markets, but found nobody interested in the shark's meat. He said he will mount the jaws and return the carcass to sea.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 04, 2007, 02:19:02 AM

This is what I call a jacka$$ festival.  Why would you keep a huge shark that you could not get rid of? The most disheartening is the fact that the sharks are back there to have their pups this time of year. The sharks are a necessary part of the environment and should not be needlessly killed.  I am no tree hugger being a fishermen myself but decency should prevail whatever you do.  Killing a pregnant female about to give birth for a photo op is a no class scenario.  Just take a picture at the side of the boat and be done with it.   I would feel guilty for a long time if I was a part of that.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#2 : June 04, 2007, 09:12:59 AM

is it me, or does that shark just look too fake, looks like the shark the have hanging in Universal Studios

superbuc

Practice Squad
#3 : June 04, 2007, 09:30:29 AM

is it me, or does that shark just look too fake, looks like the shark the have hanging in Universal Studios

I know what you're sayin CP, there is another pic on the sptimes website.  I don't fish.  I just found it interesting that the daggone thing is/was so big and so close to shore.  I also didn't realize the shark was pregnant.  My guess is the guys didn't know that either until they got it on land. 

The media does hype up shark attacks bigtime, when in reality, there are very few considering the amount of people in the water throughout the year.  We probably should take gators off the protected list and put sharks on it.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 04, 2007, 09:34:10 AM

Bull sharks very often come inshore and can be found several miles inland in Rivers.  It is very common for them to be in the waters around the channels in St Pete.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/04/Southpinellas/Bull_shark_caught_off.shtml

superbuc

Practice Squad
#5 : June 04, 2007, 09:44:15 AM

Bull sharks very often come inshore and can be found several miles inland in Rivers. It is very common for them to be in the waters around the channels in St Pete.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/04/Southpinellas/Bull_shark_caught_off.shtml

the "700 pound part" is the more interesting piece....sorta like 2 whales in a river.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 04, 2007, 10:31:30 AM

the "700 pound part" is the more interesting piece....sorta like 2 whales in a river.

Female Bull sharks usually don’t much bigger than 11 feet and 500lbs but she was heavily pregnant so 650lbs is possible.  In the St Pete times picture the shark looks a lot bigger in the first pic but down at eyelevel it looks smaller.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#7 : June 04, 2007, 04:24:59 PM

look at the comparison of the angles, the photo at the start of the thread makes it look like a monster

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 04, 2007, 04:34:59 PM

This is what I call a jacka$$ festival. Why would you keep a huge shark that you could not get rid of? The most disheartening is the fact that the sharks are back there to have their pups this time of year. The sharks are a necessary part of the environment and should not be needlessly killed. I am no tree hugger being a fishermen myself but decency should prevail whatever you do. Killing a pregnant female about to give birth for a photo op is a no class scenario. Just take a picture at the side of the boat and be done with it. I would feel guilty for a long time if I was a part of that.

I know at least one family that would disagree...

"..a bull took the life of 69-year-old Thadeus Kubinski"

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 04, 2007, 04:39:58 PM

look at the comparison of the angles, the photo at the start of the thread makes it look like a monster

That is probably under 350lbs.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#10 : June 04, 2007, 07:13:27 PM

We had a male bull shark (about 6/7 feet, 200lbs ) tracking us on a drift dive in Pompano last year.  He just followed us down the reef for a few minutes.  It was an adrenaline rush to say the least.

lol, i had that but a Barracuda who folloed me for a while on a reef dive in the keys, he stayed about 3-4 feet away, but stayed next to me, i forgot to take my necklace off before i went on the dive, that was a lil scary

#11 : June 04, 2007, 05:27:27 PM

If you compare the two photos they're night and day, but bull sharks are freakin crazy and can get pretty big and I remember that one that ate that old man swiming near his boat dock in Pinellas County about 2-3 years ago!!  :o

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 04, 2007, 05:45:51 PM

If you compare the two photos they're night and day, but bull sharks are freakin crazy and can get pretty big and I remember that one that ate that old man swiming near his boat dock in Pinellas County about 2-3 years ago!! :o

That was the guy Red Alert mentioned.

Bull sharks are responsible for more attacks than any other species.  Of course in the who is eating who contest, people are ahead by a few million.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#13 : June 04, 2007, 05:58:06 PM

Venetian Isles and Shore Acres was my stomping grounds as a kid and we used to catch shark right off the dock all the time. You hook up a good running bait fish on a leader and just wait-- this time of year the Bulls or the black tips will hit it.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 04, 2007, 06:15:41 PM

This is what I call a jacka$$ festival. Why would you keep a huge shark that you could not get rid of? The most disheartening is the fact that the sharks are back there to have their pups this time of year. The sharks are a necessary part of the environment and should not be needlessly killed. I am no tree hugger being a fishermen myself but decency should prevail whatever you do. Killing a pregnant female about to give birth for a photo op is a no class scenario. Just take a picture at the side of the boat and be done with it. I would feel guilty for a long time if I was a part of that.

I know at least one family that would disagree...

"..a bull took the life of 69-year-old Thadeus Kubinski"

Are you referring to the guy that went swimming at sunset in the bay. I feel bad that he died but the ocean is the ocean.  Everything comes with risk.  Would you run across an African field filled with lions?
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 700 pound Shark caught near local dock?! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools