Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 700 pound Shark caught near local dock?! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

gone

Hall of Famer
#15 : June 04, 2007, 06:29:44 PM

This is what I call a jacka$$ festival. Why would you keep a huge shark that you could not get rid of? The most disheartening is the fact that the sharks are back there to have their pups this time of year. The sharks are a necessary part of the environment and should not be needlessly killed. I am no tree hugger being a fishermen myself but decency should prevail whatever you do. Killing a pregnant female about to give birth for a photo op is a no class scenario. Just take a picture at the side of the boat and be done with it. I would feel guilty for a long time if I was a part of that.

I know at least one family that would disagree...

"..a bull took the life of 69-year-old Thadeus Kubinski"

Are you referring to the guy that went swimming at sunset in the bay. I feel bad that he died but the ocean is the ocean.  Everything comes with risk.  Would you run across a African field  filled with lions?

So nobody should ever swim?  Your point lacks logic.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#16 : June 04, 2007, 06:33:41 PM

This is what I call a jacka$$ festival. Why would you keep a huge shark that you could not get rid of? The most disheartening is the fact that the sharks are back there to have their pups this time of year. The sharks are a necessary part of the environment and should not be needlessly killed. I am no tree hugger being a fishermen myself but decency should prevail whatever you do. Killing a pregnant female about to give birth for a photo op is a no class scenario. Just take a picture at the side of the boat and be done with it. I would feel guilty for a long time if I was a part of that.

Are you referring to the guy that went swimming at sunset in the bay. I feel bad that he died but the ocean is the ocean. Everything comes with risk. Would you run across a African field filled with lions?

And in this giant world the shark is free game. She wants to swim near docks she runs the risk of getting caught just like the guy ran the risk of dying. As for the field of lions give me a nice hunting rifle and I can run across the field and bag me a lion to hang right next to the bull shark on the wall.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#17 : June 04, 2007, 06:35:08 PM

Are you referring to the guy that went swimming at sunset in the bay. I feel bad that he died but the ocean is the ocean. Everything comes with risk. Would you run across a African field filled with lions?

4:oopm in August is 4+ hours before sunset.  And I think swimming 10 feet from your back yard (in 5' deep water) and an african field is a very poor analogy.

Everything does come with risks.  Over a dozen people were killed the same year in the same county, by lightning. So just being outside during a storm is riskier than swimming in the bay, unless your swimming in the during a storm.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 04, 2007, 06:39:17 PM

Are you referring to the guy that went swimming at sunset in the bay. I feel bad that he died but the ocean is the ocean.  Everything comes with risk.  Would you run across a African field  filled with lions?

So nobody should ever swim?  Your point lacks logic.

So we should start killing the natural ecosystem so we can swim.  That makes more sense.  That is the problem with humans. They forget what was here first.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 04, 2007, 06:48:29 PM

And in this giant world the shark is free game. She wants to swim near docks she runs the risk of getting caught just like the guy ran the risk of dying. As for the field of lions give me a nice hunting rifle and I can run across the field and bag me a lion to hang right next to the bull shark on the wall.
Being caught and photographed is a lot different than letting the thing die slowly in the canal while you sleep and come back later.  There was no need to kill the shark or the pups.  Take video or photos then let the shark go.  If this is not the moral standard than we have reached a dark day indeed. 

gone

Hall of Famer
#20 : June 04, 2007, 06:55:36 PM

So we should start killing the natural ecosystem so we can swim.  That makes more sense.  That is the problem with humans. They forget what was here first.

The problem with humans?  No the biggest problem with humans is, as you have so helpfully demonstrated, is that all too often they are incapable of rational thought.

You don't even see the hippocracy in your own statements.  You have no sympathy for a dead human, he was killed by a predator, all natural.  but when a shark gets killed by a predator (US) then it's a moral problem. 

And then your quote of "the natural ecosystem".  Here's a newsflash sparky, there's not a "natural ecosystem" and a human one.  We are part of that system too.  And ecosystems evolves.  Animals migrate, new predators evolve, and the ecosystem changes.  The shark changed his ecosystem in the same way we do.  The only difference is people like you don't get your panties in a bunch when an animal has an impact, only when humans do. 

I know it's tres chic to be all about the animals and hating the humans, but just because it's hip doesn't make it logical.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 04, 2007, 06:56:01 PM

4:oopm in August is 4+ hours before sunset.  And I think swimming 10 feet from your back yard (in 5' deep water) and an african field is a very poor analogy.

Everything does come with risks.  Over a dozen people were killed the same year in the same county, by lightning. So just being outside during a storm is riskier than swimming in the bay, unless your swimming in the during a storm.
The analogy is valid if you knew how many sharks were really in the bay. Why do you think they do not run the footage of the news helicopters running up and down the beach near the swimmers.  It would hurt the tourist industry. People do not realize what is out there and how dangerous the ocean is.  I have hooked a small fish that was eaten by another fish. That fish was again eaten by another fish. Then again by another.  On one toss of the rod.  Everything eats everything out there and they know no different.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#22 : June 04, 2007, 06:59:20 PM

4:oopm in August is 4+ hours before sunset. And I think swimming 10 feet from your back yard (in 5' deep water) and an african field is a very poor analogy.

Everything does come with risks. Over a dozen people were killed the same year in the same county, by lightning. So just being outside during a storm is riskier than swimming in the bay, unless your swimming in the during a storm.
The analogy is valid if you knew how many sharks were really in the bay. Why do you think they do not run the footage of the news helicopters running up and down the beach near the swimmers. It would hurt the tourist industry. People do not realize what is out there and how dangerous the ocean is. I have hooked a small fish that was eaten by another fish. That fish was again eaten by another fish. Then again by another. On one toss of the rod. Everything eats everything out there and they know no different.

there are always sharks around us, when they usually do show the footage, you can count 4-8 sharks around, they may not always be there, but in the height of their season, they do come in close

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 04, 2007, 07:06:38 PM

So we should start killing the natural ecosystem so we can swim. That makes more sense. That is the problem with humans. They forget what was here first.

I find it ironic that someone with the moniker "bayfisher" feels that one dead shark is any more important to the natural ecosystem than one dead fish of any kind. The ecosystem is the ecosystem, so why would one sea creature rate any higher than another? Doesn't fishing take food out of the mouths of other sea life, sharks included, thus denting the ecosystem in a different manner?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 04, 2007, 07:09:38 PM

We had a male bull shark (about 6/7 feet, 200lbs ) tracking us on a drift dive in Pompano last year.  He just followed us down the reef for a few minutes.  It was an adrenaline rush to say the least.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 04, 2007, 07:17:30 PM

4:oopm in August is 4+ hours before sunset. And I think swimming 10 feet from your back yard (in 5' deep water) and an african field is a very poor analogy.

Everything does come with risks. Over a dozen people were killed the same year in the same county, by lightning. So just being outside during a storm is riskier than swimming in the bay, unless your swimming in the during a storm.
The analogy is valid if you knew how many sharks were really in the bay. Why do you think they do not run the footage of the news helicopters running up and down the beach near the swimmers. It would hurt the tourist industry. People do not realize what is out there and how dangerous the ocean is. I have hooked a small fish that was eaten by another fish. That fish was again eaten by another fish. Then again by another. On one toss of the rod. Everything eats everything out there and they know no different.

An analogy comparing walking 10 feet from your door then swimming(something Kubinski did every day for years) and flying 8500 miles, the driving hundreds more to run with lions which you can see(something 99.999% of people have never done); is flawed. Apples and African blood oranges.

''People do not realize what is out there and how dangerous the ocean is.''  The fact is 1 person died that year from shark attacks IN THE US.  123 people died the same year from auto related accidents just in Pinellas County.  So driving to the ocean is more dangerous than anything in the ocean.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 04, 2007, 07:29:34 PM

We had a male bull shark (about 6/7 feet, 200lbs ) tracking us on a drift dive in Pompano last year. He just followed us down the reef for a few minutes. It was an adrenaline rush to say the least.

lol, i had that but a Barracuda who folloed me for a while on a reef dive in the keys, he stayed about 3-4 feet away, but stayed next to me, i forgot to take my necklace off before i went on the dive, that was a lil scary

Lost count of the number of Barracudas that have come in close to take a look'see. 

There is a fairly large green moray eel on one of the wrecks in Pompano, and he gets in very close.  I turned around once and he was two inches off my mask, mouth wide open(normal for a moray) and a full set of teeth gleaming right in my face.  Some divers had been feeding him so he just follows you around the wreck.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 04, 2007, 07:43:37 PM

The problem with humans?  No the biggest problem with humans is, as you have so helpfully demonstrated, is that all too often they are incapable of rational thought.

You don't even see the hippocracy in your own statements.  You have no sympathy for a dead human, he was killed by a predator, all natural.  but when a shark gets killed by a predator (US) then it's a moral problem. 

And then your quote of "the natural ecosystem".  Here's a newsflash sparky, there's not a "natural ecosystem" and a human one.  We are part of that system too.  And ecosystems evolves.  Animals migrate, new predators evolve, and the ecosystem changes.  The shark changed his ecosystem in the same way we do.  The only difference is people like you don't get your panties in a bunch when an animal has an impact, only when humans do. 

I know it's tres chic to be all about the animals and hating the humans, but just because it's hip doesn't make it logical.

Needless killing of an apex predator is ridiculous. Dumping the body at sea because they did not have anything to do with it.  LMAO.   I said before I am no tree hugger but morals have to stand for something.  I said I felt bad that the guy died but can you blame a shark for being a shark. 

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 04, 2007, 07:48:10 PM

So we should start killing the natural ecosystem so we can swim. That makes more sense. That is the problem with humans. They forget what was here first.

I find it ironic that someone with the moniker "bayfisher" feels that one dead shark is any more important to the natural ecosystem than one dead fish of any kind. The ecosystem is the ecosystem, so why would one sea creature rate any higher than another? Doesn't fishing take food out of the mouths of other sea life, sharks included, thus denting the ecosystem in a different manner?

I am a tarpon fishermen which means I throw them all back.  I am not going to say that every tarpon we let go  lived but we do everything in our power to give it a proper release.   There is just something not quite right about killing a shark full of little sharks for no reason.  Look how fat her belly was. I am not trying to be combative with everyone. This stuff happens every year and I just do not want killing sharks to be the cool thing to do.  Which is what is happening. They just opened a shark fishing tournament down in Boca Grande a year after landing a world record hammerhead which was full of pups as well.  You guys should have seen the debates on the fishing forums.  If a hundred boats fish in that one tournament. That is quite a bit of harm to a lot of sharks. They all die.  I do not want to come off like some PETA person because I am not.  I just feel rather strongly that we should be helping the environment.   For the last three years as a tarpon fishermen we have taken DNA samples of most fish we catch.  We then send the samples to the FWC for research to help the tarpon as a whole. 
http://research.myfwc.com/news/view_article.asp?id=28115

#29 : June 04, 2007, 08:02:08 PM

The guy who got killed swimming just off of his own dock made a serious error in judgment. Several of his neighbors reported that there was a school of fish jumping out of the water at that time - a sign that they were trying to escape a predator. As soon as the guy jumped into the water with a splash, he was attacked. If you're going to live next to the water and swim in it, it's your responsibility to know things like that for your own safety.

If you go to the tenth floor of the Adam's Mark hotel on Clearwater Beach, there is an observation deck where you can see numerous sharks swimming in between the people in the water.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 700 pound Shark caught near local dock?! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools