Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 700 pound Shark caught near local dock?! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

replica

Hall of Famer
#30 : June 05, 2007, 10:03:13 AM

So we should start killing the natural ecosystem so we can swim. That makes more sense. That is the problem with humans. They forget what was here first.

I find it ironic that someone with the moniker "bayfisher" feels that one dead shark is any more important to the natural ecosystem than one dead fish of any kind. The ecosystem is the ecosystem, so why would one sea creature rate any higher than another? Doesn't fishing take food out of the mouths of other sea life, sharks included, thus denting the ecosystem in a different manner?

I am a tarpon fishermen which means I throw them all back. I am not going to say that every tarpon we let go lived but we do everything in our power to give it a proper release. There is just something not quite right about killing a shark full of little sharks for no reason. Look how fat her belly was. I am not trying to be combative with everyone. This stuff happens every year and I just do not want killing sharks to be the cool thing to do. Which is what is happening. They just opened a shark fishing tournament down in Boca Grande a year after landing a world record hammerhead which was full of pups as well. You guys should have seen the debates on the fishing forums. If a hundred boats fish in that one tournament. That is quite a bit of harm to a lot of sharks. They all die. I do not want to come off like some PETA person because I am not. I just feel rather strongly that we should be helping the environment. For the last three years as a tarpon fishermen we have taken DNA samples of most fish we catch. We then send the samples to the FWC for research to help the tarpon as a whole.
http://research.myfwc.com/news/view_article.asp?id=28115

Do you Jig or use Live bait? I've worked on Boca for 15 years, and it's quite the contraversey..If you use jigs then you are killing the tarpon,  as for the sharks, I have no love for them. Needless slaughter I do not support, but we should not ban catching them.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#31 : June 05, 2007, 12:51:03 PM

Live bait. I have never used the breakaways. I will be in Boca next week.  We do all beach fishing with blue crabs. Should be good.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#32 : June 05, 2007, 04:50:13 PM

The wife of one of the men who help catch the shark is a member of PETA and she isn't too happy about them killing the shark.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/05/Southpinellas/Shark_catch_reels_in_.shtml

ST. PETERSBURG - Frank Maloney loves to fish. But his wife, Denise, is so devoted to protecting animals, she belongs to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

"A card-carrying member," Frank Maloney says.

Little surprise, then, that she's less than pleased with his weekend catch and kill of a mammoth bull shark behind their Venetian Isles home.

She gave me a hard time," Maloney, 45, said Monday. "She's pretty vocal when it comes to animals."

Why the heck would he marry someone like that if he likes to fish?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#33 : June 05, 2007, 05:29:51 PM

Why the heck would he marry someone like that if he likes to fish?

<Insert furry animal joke here>

replica

Hall of Famer
#34 : June 06, 2007, 08:50:43 AM

Live bait. I have never used the breakaways. I will be in Boca next week. We do all beach fishing with blue crabs. Should be good.
Stop in The Temp for a Livation or two, Bucs fans and non-jiggers always welcome!

Runole

Hall of Famer
#35 : June 06, 2007, 12:17:06 PM

Bayfisher,

I agree with your thoughts.   Until man learns live with the ecosystem rather than consistently damaging it, the earth will continue to deteriorate as well as the overall quality of life.

superbuc

Practice Squad
#36 : June 06, 2007, 05:09:14 PM

.....thread went a completely different way than I thought it would or intended.  It's fine, obviously, but, surprising.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#37 : June 07, 2007, 01:17:10 AM

Bayfisher,

I agree with your thoughts. Until man learns live with the ecosystem rather than consistently damaging it, the earth will continue to deteriorate as well as the overall quality of life.

The idea that we are damaging the Earth is a little on the arrogant side.  Nothing we humans can do will damage the Earth.  The Earth has existed for over 4 billion years and will continue to exist for at least another 2 billion.  Now we might cause minute changes that make the planet inhospitible for us, thereby causing our own extinction. But we are not necessary for the Earth's survival, so it will continue without us.

I know it's just semantics, but I have always felt it is important to keep our place in Earth's history in perspective.  We are like the flea on a dog.  If we make the dog scratch too much, we won't actually harm the dog, but we will cause his owner to give the dog some flea spray wiping us out.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#38 : June 07, 2007, 01:39:46 AM

Here's a copy of the story from the station I work at. I edited the story...another photographer shot the story.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=56158

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 700 pound Shark caught near local dock?! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools