Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: YES! STAN THE MAN = MAGIC NEW HEAD COACH « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#15 : June 04, 2007, 07:53:45 PM

Meyer will get a raise soon after Billy signs the dotted line.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 04, 2007, 11:20:38 PM

They got the wrong Van Gundy.

#17 : June 05, 2007, 02:29:52 AM

Only Ray could put that kind of spin on something

Anyways, I was happy when Donovan was supposed to be the coach. Upset about what he did. And I completely agree with this thread. I'm not going to think about it anymore. I'm happy with the available coaches this offseason to have even got Van Gundy. My initial thoughts are that he can really help progress some of the young players and the chemistry of the team better than B Hill, but that's not saying much. The Magic have a great young team, an improved coach and have done what every Magic fan was hoping they would do and announce their #1 target is a scorer and probably a 2 or 3. I would rather look forward than worry about what happened with Donovan

kapmorg

Starter
#18 : June 05, 2007, 06:50:24 AM

ESPN's Andy Katz is stating that the NBA could pose a 5 year ban on Billy Donovan if he wants to ever try again in the NBA if he breaks his contract with the Magic:

Multiple sources said that Donovan is being asked to refrain from coaching in the NBA for five years as one of the terms of his release from his Magic contract. Especially in light of this newest wrinkle, negotiations were expected to continue into Tuesday.

kapmorg

Starter
#19 : June 05, 2007, 07:00:34 AM

Ether,

I wonder what the real chances of the Magic landing Stan Van Gundy really are.  The Kings reportedly were looking at him as well as a possible option for their head coach.  To coach or play at this elite level you have to believe the coaches and players have a certain amount of pride in themselves.  I wonder how much Van Gundy feels about being passed over and then having the Magic run back to him, almost begging.  You have to think Van Gundy would take no less than the same contract Donovan was offered from the Magic. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 05, 2007, 08:33:30 AM

I'm more curious to know how much Donovan will get to go back to Gainesville and if the Gators will pay any "monetary penalty" for Donovan to let him out of the Magic's contract if necessary. Also, I wonder who will make more money, Urban Meyer or Billy Donovan and if the other will be happy being the second fiddle.
The Magic would be stupid for fighting that. Donovan didn't screw up any of their future plans. They didn't draft/sign anyone because of Billy and they didn't miss out on hiring Phil Jackson over the weekend. About 250 people in the state care about the Magic. It would be homicidal to take on the largest alumni base around them. They should thank Donovan for not having to pay him $5-6 million per year when he's never coached an NBA game in his life and be happy to have a pretty good pro coach for (likely) less money.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#21 : June 05, 2007, 02:29:48 PM

Another ignorant Florida sports fan. This area of the country (and Im including Orlando) has proven time and time again that they can support a major sports team like anyone else. The Magic have a large following, and when the move back to the top of the East you will see it.

10 years ago there were as many Florida basketball fans as FSU basketball fans. Dont confuse yourself. Florida basketball fans are not this incredibly loyal, and deep rooted fan base like you are acting. They are just like any other major sports team in the area, they are winning so they are getting a lot of attention.

Billy Donovan pulled a real jagoff move, and the fact that some UF supporters will back his actions is hilarious to me. If Bobby Bowden did the same thing, I would be bashing him the same way I am Donovan. Get your nose out of his crotch

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#22 : June 05, 2007, 02:46:49 PM

Another ignorant Florida sports fan. This area of the country (and Im including Orlando) has proven time and time again that they can support a major sports team like anyone else. The Magic have a large following, and when the move back to the top of the East you will see it.

10 years ago there were as many Florida basketball fans as FSU basketball fans. Dont confuse yourself. Florida basketball fans are not this incredibly loyal, and deep rooted fan base like you are acting. They are just like any other major sports team in the area, they are winning so they are getting a lot of attention.

Billy Donovan pulled a real jagoff move, and the fact that some UF supporters will back his actions is hilarious to me. If Bobby Bowden did the same thing, I would be bashing him the same way I am Donovan. Get your nose out of his crotch
Agreed... UF is not some sacred place to coach in the NCAA, that is reserved for teams that have been dynasties like Duke/UNC etc. UF has gotten hot as of late but most of you are band wagoners that claim to be great UF fans long before and all that. Either way, Billy pulled a **CENSORED** move and he knows it himself. Florida will be nothing this year and then he will magicaly wish he was somewhere else. I am not a magic fan either, I could care less whether he was a head coach for them or the Heat or anyone else... it was a sad move and probably just a ploy to get some more money out of Florida in some way.

I agree, if Bowden left FSU and went pro only to ditch that team he signed a contract with I would bash him the same way. Same with Roy Williams in UNC or any coach. The NBA is a business, you can't sign a contract with most companies and then a day or two later say, O well my heart is somewhere else. That doesn't work, he is very lucky the Magic are letting him off so easily, a lot of other teams would make him live it out in some way.

#23 : June 05, 2007, 02:55:20 PM

Psh you guys are just Gator haters.

CHOMP CHOMP

BILLY D LOVES UF!!! HE WON'T EVER LEAVE...AGAIN

CHOMP CHOMP

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#24 : June 05, 2007, 04:12:47 PM

Hahahaha.  If SAINT Bobby did this everyone would all on his jock.  And honestly I wouldn't care.  You see, while F$U fans rejoice when the Gators lose a Donovan, a SPurrier,type coach, we at UF will CRY when Bobby leaves.  I want nothing more than to see him coach 10-15 more years.

And RONDE, what spin did I put on it?  I recited the facts, just as others have. I just choose to judge a man based on all his deeds and not just one moment of indecision. 

I once saw a player throw a bat at an umpire in a baseball game.  I defended the guy to many co-workers.  Why?  Because I believe people make mistakes. I don't judge people based on one or even 2-3, depending on what they are.  I guess some people do, judging by all the de**CENSORED**able hate being thrown at Billy Donovan.

To each his own I suppose.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 05, 2007, 04:20:02 PM

in the end, there are two definites.

billy d will coach the gators.

magic will still blow and their 3 fans will still cry this time next year about billy d.

#26 : June 05, 2007, 04:21:36 PM

I'd laugh my butt off if Two-Face decides to stay with Orlando, I wouldn't want him to, but that would be splendid.

Also for a school that didn't sell out every single game I'd watch myself making attendance jokes.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 05, 2007, 04:24:18 PM

I'd laugh my butt off if Two-Face decides to stay with Orlando, I wouldn't want him to, but that would be splendid.

Also for a school that didn't sell out every single game I'd watch myself making attendance jokes.

so he's two faced... but you'd be happy if the guy you praised....then bashed.... actually stayed with the Magic?

you wear flip flops a lot or is this a new thing?

#28 : June 05, 2007, 04:27:17 PM

You made a misinterpretation of what I meant.

I don't like him, but if he stayed that would stick it to all these UF fans who are saying how he made a heart over money choice.

I doubt we'd keep him even if he wanted, but hey if he's going to lie and make a mockery of himself may as well do it right.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 05, 2007, 04:28:56 PM

You made a misinterpretation of what I meant.

I don't like him, but if he stayed that would stick it to all these UF fans who are saying how he made a heart over money choice.

I doubt we'd keep him even if he wanted, but hey if he's going to lie and make a mockery of himself may as well do it right.

so you'd rather your magic get stuck with a coach that really doesnt wanna be there?

and that's a fan?!?!
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: YES! STAN THE MAN = MAGIC NEW HEAD COACH « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools